• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

That advertising ad on the telly - most cringey ad ever?

Colin M

The beardy corporate guy looking out to the city, while sounding dangerously close to David Brent with some real
boll1xology: 'Business is complicated, but very simple.' ' My finance guy smart guy, lives and breeeeeeathes the bottom line.' Well, thanks for those nuggets of wisdom, Aristotle.

Then we get the slogan 'unforgettable brands advertise'. I am pretty sure many 'forgettable' brands have advertised too. Who thought this was a good idea for a 'serious' ad?

southwestkerry

never mind that,what about the twat fella in a pink dressing gown running to get the train and talking about breakfast to the woman... what about the lynx ads, young fellas think its for real.... what about the bank add with the geek and the good looking redhead... and on and on and on.
SWK:p

Colin M

Plenty of tacky ads, but the sheer smugness of this one really annoys me. It is like this ad got 'lost' during the Celtic Tiger era.

The beardy corporate guy looking out to the city, while sounding dangerously close to David Brent with some real
boll1xology: 'Business is complicated, but very simple.' ' My finance guy smart guy, lives and breeeeeeathes the bottom line.' Well, thanks for those nuggets of wisdom, Aristotle.

Then we get the slogan 'unforgettable brands advertise'. I am pretty sure many 'forgettable' brands have advertised too. Who thought this was a good idea for a 'serious' ad?
Any chance of a bloody link to it?

USER1234

Thanks for the link. The OP should really have supplied it.

And yup, it's a pretty crappy ad.

Annoying.

God be with the days when Bord na Mona were threatening us with more of the Marino Waltz.
Crap Ad, but i always loved the Bord na Mona Marino Waltz Ads!!!

Hitch 22

Most adverts are loaded with subliminal messages:

[video=youtube;ZyQjr1YL0zg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQjr1YL0zg[/video]

LDF

I think Ireland is perhaps the only country in the World which has adverts telling people how to drive - what the different white lines mean etc.

Every other country probably doesn't allow people who can't drive use the roads.

Upper Chamber

Was that the same guy as did the Dublin Airport terminal two ad? Anyway it's probably not the worst even if it has a bit of the Gordon Gecko about it..
Anything with an affected accent annoys me. Worst though is the McD's ad where the kid says 'but you'd be ages coming home'. Cringe making and highly irritating.

Spanner Island

[video=youtube_share;oF8NAyqxGfk]http://youtu.be/oF8NAyqxGfk[/video]

I do hope those responsible for this have been sacked without pay or pension...

And as for Brad... WTF he was thinking is anyone's guess...

Colin M

Brad Pitt has been completely up his own arse for years, though.

jmcc

Wasn't that actor last seen advertising that Dublin airport terminal? It is the kind of smug advertisement for advertising that surfaces during every recession. However advertising during a recession is important.

Regards...jmcc

PUFF DADDY

Any ad on tv/radio that advertises "Dundrum Town Centre" or "Kidare Village" with that put on american twang D4 accent..always makes me :roll:

And this current fcccking ad does my head in :) "are we there yet etc"

Bothar Christmas Advert 2010 - YouTube

Davidoff

Rather than sharing pearls of wisdom, I think the character is being sarcastic.

I love the grimace at the end while he's sitting down. I sometimes look like that when the hemorrhoids are playing up.

The wonderful irony of the whole thing, of course, is that its purpose is to persuade us of the value of advertising, when it pretty much accomplishes the exact opposite.

R

Ramps

I think Ireland is perhaps the only country in the World which has adverts telling people how to drive - what the different white lines mean etc.

Every other country probably doesn't allow people who can't drive use the roads.
True that. It's also probably the only country in which I feel nervous driving over the speed limit in the overtaking lane on the motorway when I see a squad car in my rear view mirror...not because I'll be pulled over for speeding, mind you, but because the Gardai will berate me for keeping them from breaking the limit even more!