• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

That time again - where the media trample on Michelle Smith's reputation.

TheField

I read and hear the Irish media back up to their routine Michelle Smith bashing. RTE radio had an interview with two swimmers from Atlanta during the week where they pretty much accused her of cheating and the interviewer facilitated them. The Irish Times are advertising a feature of Smiths 'infamous' games. I heard another snide comment on some other programme too recently and I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg. When you add these to the disgraceful treatment she received at the hands of hacks like Eamon Dunphy and Gene Kerrigan back in the day, the Irish media have a despicable record of kicking her reputation into the mud.

Michelle Smith won three gold medals for Ireland in Atlanta 20 years ago. She put the noses of other big international swimming nations like USA and Australia etc., seriously out of joint. She was not found guilty of taking any illegal substances at Atlanta or afterwards. She was accused by nations who had swimmers and athletes, some of whom were very likely taking performance enhancing drugs.

And what's the attitude of the Irish hacks and media - but to pull her down and sully her reputation. Well past time for the Irish public to appreciate her for her achievements. I don't understand why she has not sued for defamation and libel at this stage, she must have too much decency.

Michelle Smith made two big mistakes as far as the Irish media go - first she was too successful and second, she was a woman. That's my view of it.

democrat

Mr de Bruin, your English is remarkably good. Clearly, your wife has been a good teacher, in return for your training "advice" before and during the Olympic Games in Atlanta 1996.

sadmal

I remember in the days after her winning it was Gary O'toole who first cast doubt on her winning and he was a swimmer too.

He asked if it was possible for an average swimmer, in international terms, to come from nowhere and win three gold medals.

I think most people had made up their minds long before the contaminated test was carried out at her home.

Accidental sock

Fair play to her.

When I'm stoned, I can't manage a dip in the bath.

TheField

Mr de Bruin, your English is remarkably good. Clearly, your wife has been a good teacher, in return for your training "advice" before and during the Olympic Games in Atlanta 1996.
Typical of the snide remarks thrown Michelle's way and there's many of them. It's easy to throw mud and if you repeat lies often enough, they become the truth.

The fact is that Michelle Smith did us proud. I well remember the thrill of those nights and her wins in the pool.

midlander12

I read and hear the Irish media back up to their routine Michelle Smith bashing. RTE radio had an interview with two swimmers from Atlanta during the week where they pretty much accused her of cheating and the interviewer facilitated them. The Irish Times are advertising a feature of Smiths 'infamous' games. I heard another snide comment on some other programme too recently and I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg. When you add these to the disgraceful treatment she received at the hands of hacks like Eamon Dunphy and Gene Kerrigan back in the day, the Irish media have a despicable record of kicking her reputation into the mud.

Michelle Smith won three gold medals for Ireland in Atlanta 20 years ago. She put the noses of other big international swimming nations like USA and Australia etc., seriously out of joint. She was not found guilty of taking any illegal substances at Atlanta or afterwards. She was accused by nations who had swimmers and athletes, some of whom were very likely taking performance enhancing drugs.

And what's the attitude of the Irish hacks and media - but to pull her down and sully her reputation. Well past time for the Irish public to appreciate her for her achievements. I don't understand why she has not sued for defamation and libel at this stage, she must have too much decency.

Michelle Smith made two big mistakes as far as the Irish media go - first she was too successful and second, she was a woman. That's my view of it.
Ah is it you Jimmy Magee, the Figures Man?

Sonia O'Sullivan put the boot in in the IT this morning, so I guess the fact that it was coming from that source must have 'put some nose/s out of joint'.

asset test

At this stage all athletes and competitors should just be allowed to take drugs

Trying to stop it is a failed entity now. And will be forever more, when the screenings can be masked more successfully and so on.

Applies to everyone, professional and amateur.

Sad for those who DO observe the rules though.

Will not be watching it. Got other things to do. LOL

offalypat

i read and hear the irish media back up to their routine michelle smith bashing. Rte radio had an interview with two swimmers from atlanta during the week where they pretty much accused her of cheating and the interviewer facilitated them. The irish times are advertising a feature of smiths 'infamous' games. I heard another snide comment on some other programme too recently and i'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg. When you add these to the disgraceful treatment she received at the hands of hacks like eamon dunphy and gene kerrigan back in the day, the irish media have a despicable record of kicking her reputation into the mud.

Michelle smith won three gold medals for ireland in atlanta 20 years ago. She put the noses of other big international swimming nations like usa and australia etc., seriously out of joint. She was not found guilty of taking any illegal substances at atlanta or afterwards. She was accused by nations who had swimmers and athletes, some of whom were very likely taking performance enhancing drugs.

And what's the attitude of the irish hacks and media - but to pull her down and sully her reputation. Well past time for the irish public to appreciate her for her achievements. I don't understand why she has not sued for defamation and libel at this stage, she must have too much decency.

Michelle smith made two big mistakes as far as the irish media go - first she was too successful and second, she was a woman. That's my view of it.
i agree she was never caught with anything its a wonder something wasnt planted there were plenty of athletes that should have been caught but werent often wondered if some of the gaa players were tested after the games

TheField

Ah is it you Jimmy Magee, the Figures Man?

Sonia O'Sullivan put the boot in in the IT this morning, so I guess the fact that it was coming from that source must have 'put some nose/s out of joint'.
So, Sonia is a hero and Michelle is a gutter tramp?? Who decides these things? From what we increasingly learn, a whole raft of athletes from a multiplicity of nations have been taking performance enhancing banned substances. We may as well look at everybody suspiciously if you want. Who's to say that Sonia never took anything or Ronnie Delaney or whichever stars we like to put on a pedestal? Fact is, Michelle has always denied it and she was never found to have taken banned substances - she should be given the benefit of the doubt and appreciated for her efforts. Just as we appreciate Sonia or John Treacy.

gerhard dengler

Smith failed dope tests in 1998 (iirc).

Smith didn't fail any dope tests at the Olympic Games in 1996 however.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to view any event and take what one sees on face (clean) value.

David Walsh coined the phrase "when watching all sport you have to suspend your sense of disbelief" in many cases.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Only idiots and Jimmy Magee attempt to defend her.

Jimmy Magee was on the last word today. Has no issue with doping, it seems. In fact, he thinks that "blacks" running for Sweden and Denmark is a far bigger issue than doping. Yep, he said that.

Trampas

I think it was the dodgy swimsuit. People just assumed she was wearing it to hide her new muscles.

ShoutingIsLeadership

So, Sonia is a hero and Michelle is a gutter tramp?? Who decides these things? From what we increasingly learn, a whole raft of athletes from a multiplicity of nations have been taking performance enhancing banned substances. We may as well look at everybody suspiciously if you want. Who's to say that Sonia never took anything or Ronnie Delaney or whichever stars we like to put on a pedestal? Fact is, Michelle has always denied it and she was never found to have taken banned substances - she should be given the benefit of the doubt and appreciated for her efforts. Just as we appreciate Sonia or John Treacy.
Do you smear butter on bricks, to help swallow them?

TheField

Smith failed dope tests in 1998 (iirc).

Smith didn't fail any dope tests at the Olympic Games in 1996 however.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to view any event and take what one sees on face (clean) value.

David Walsh coined the phrase "when watching all sport you have to suspend your sense of disbelief" in many cases.
IIRC, she was said to have tampered with samples and there was a long and protracted court case where it became apparent that the water tightness of the procedure for collecting samples and transferring them to the laboratory was not exactly secure. It was her word against the people who organised the tests. The recent reports on how the Russians routinely tampered with tests only a few years ago, shows how open to abuse the whole system is.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies