• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Thatcher: "The Irish are all liars"

Eric Cartman

Thatcher:

“Although I helped to organise the Labour Party’s opposition to her policies throughout the 1980s, I only ever met her once. It was the day I was appointed Northern Ireland secretary and our paths crossed,” he said.
“She came up to me and she said, ‘I’ve got one thing to say to you, my boy ... you can’t trust the Irish, they are all liars’, she said, ‘liars, and that’s what you have to remember, so just don’t forget it.' With that she waltzed off and that was my only personal exposure to her.”
I wonder what Lucinda Creighton and Alan Shatter, both staunch Thatcher supporters in recent days, have to make of this??

Her grandchildren are brought up in the US, she hardly saw them and I think her children are in South Africa and Switzerland.

Her granddaughter Amanda is pretty hot:

Shpake

At last! someone tells the truth! :)

Ribeye

How many "ordinary" Irish people did she have dealings with?

She was clearly referring to Irish politicians,

So she is 100% correct,

borntorum

Her granddaughter is very hot. Is she Carol or Mark's kid? Why didn't one of them do the reading instead?

Dame_Enda

Thatcher:

I wonder what Lucinda Creighton and Alan Shatter, both staunch Thatcher supporters in recent days, have to make of this??

Her grandchildren are brought up in the US, she hardly saw them and I think her children are in South Africa and Switzerland.

Her granddaughter Amanda is pretty hot:
Would you like her to be for turning? :)

R3volution_R3ady

Settle down lads, she's only 19.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Weren't Thatcher's children originally adopted - but were sent back!

between the bridges

Well she had a point, and before any panties get twisted i would think it is fair to assume by ALL she meant both 'sides' in n.i...

H.R. Haldeman

Pretty amazing anecdote.

But it's likely Thatcher's mind was on the way out at that stage. She was 75 or 76 when Mandelson became NI Secretary and she had 2 strokes a year or so later. Likely she was losing the plot by the time she spoke to Mandy. Of course, whether she held this opinion when she was fully compis mentis is another question. Certainly such a canny politician would not have openly said it in her prime, if only for reasons of political self-preservation.

Eoin Coir

Her granddaughter is very hot. Is she Carol or Mark's kid? Why didn't one of them do the reading instead?
Her surname is Thatcher, so must be marks. But on the lying thing, look at the effect CJH had on her, she probably threw out his teapot.
There were reports on RTE that he got it in Dublin from a trader in Duke St, and never paid for it. But that has turned out to be a lie too !

ManOfReason

This is relevant because no Irish politician ever said anything nasty about the English?

Also what has where your grandchildren are raised got the do with anything?

R3volution_R3ady

And...

Dunno if shes an iron Lady but she could probably conjure up some wood.
Meh...

I've done better....and that's just my thing on the side. ;)

Some people around here must look like a sack of potatoes.

Dub guy

I presume she was talking about the politicians on this island, North and South of all hues- Nationalist, Unionist, Republican... she wasn't far off the mark! Whatever you say about her, she was a smart lady, and despite her faults was head and shoulders above most other politicians I can think of from the past 3 decades... This country badly needs a leader like her. Look how she got the rebate from the then EEC in the 80's, she insisted at meeting after meeting with the other leaders that they had to ''give us our money back'' until they eventually realised she wasn't for turning and gave her what she wanted. Enda take note.

eoghanacht

Well she had a point, and before any panties get twisted i would think it is fair to assume by ALL she meant both 'sides' in n.i...
No just the Politico's and has already been pointed out she would have being referring to Irish politician's and as such was entirely correct. Though her own self and her mandarins weren't so comfortable in dealing with the truth when it came to British/Ireland relations during her time.