The 1997 ROI election leading us into FF-led rule until 2011. Was that first election bought?

SuirView

Editing now. I meant FGs vote increased from 24% to 27-8%. :?

Economic growth had already begun to hit 10% towards the end of that government and unemployment was falling. But it wasn't fast enough to change the outcome. Also many doubted the legitimacy of the Rainbow government because it was formed without a new election in 1994. Or at least that was how I felt at the time.
After the 1992 election, FG's idea of a Rainbow govt was in fact FG, Labour & the PDs. Bruton refused to even meet with DL before the election regarding the formation of a govt.
After the 1997 election, FG won 7 seats, but it was felt that they were only getting back most of the seats they lost in 1992.

The Rahenyite

But John Bruton was still leader after the 1997 election when FG won 7 seats & FG had come out of govt!
What changed?
Even tho it was his 2nd consecutive election defeat he still had the job of taoiseach in between, albeit unelected, for 2 and a half years and Fine Gael increased it's seats from 45 in 1992 to 54 in 1997. There was a conception at the time that the Bertie Ahern minority government with support from independents wasn't going to last long and there'd be another election quickly enough which of course didn't happen as history would show the government would last the full term and be very popular in spite of some hiccups in late 1997 with the Ray Burke scandal and a slight spike in unemployment.

Eoin Coir

Bertie had that rogue element about him which many Irish like. Look at 2007, after his digouts in 2006, Paddy De Plasterer and all that concoction, he was returned to office . Luck he and his party were around for the crash which they engineered. Otherwise it would be said if Bertie was around this would not happen !

SuirView

Even tho it was his 2nd consecutive election defeat he still had the job of taoiseach in between, albeit unelected, for 2 and a half years and Fine Gael increased it's seats from 45 in 1992 to 54 in 1997. There was a conception at the time that the Bertie Ahern minority government with support from independents wasn't going to last long and there'd be another election quickly enough which of course didn't happen as history would show the government would last the full term and be very popular in spite of some hiccups in late 1997 with the Ray Burke scandal and a slight spike in unemployment.
This thread has great potential, but some posters are holding back!
Was John Bruton wrong when he refused to even talk to DL before the 1992 general election?
That'll do for now.

O'Quisling

Was John Bruton wrong when he refused to even talk to DL before the 1992 general election?
That'll do for now.
I'm looking for a good fishing gif here.

After the Stickies supported a FF minority in 1983(?), the FG leadership considered the prospects of going into a coalition with Labour AND the Sticks. But knew the grassroots would collectively and very publicly go ape-sh!t.

One theory is that the changes that Frank Ross and the Student Princes faction of the Workers' Party tried to bring in in 1992 was to sanitise the party. Said "reforms" split the Stickies. The "Reformers" re-formulated themselves as the Democratic Left party. In they went to govt with the Blueshirts and the Smoked Salmons when the cards fell in their favour (1994).

The Provie Sinn Fein party would have to jump thru similar hoops to make themselves ammenable to Middle Ireland. It won't be for a while but it will happen.

The Rahenyite

That'll do for now.
FFS. Why do you follow up a question (which has been answered) with another question?:roll:

SuirView

FFS. Why do you follow up a question (which has been answered) with another question?:roll:
I believe that John Bruton went into govt with DL for one reason, power.
Do you disagree?

SuirView

I'm looking for a good fishing gif here.

After the Stickies supported a FF minority in 1983(?), the FG leadership considered the prospects of going into a coalition with Labour AND the Sticks. But knew the grassroots would collectively and very publicly go ape-sh!t.

One theory is that the changes that Frank Ross and the Student Princes faction of the Workers' Party tried to bring in in 1992 was to sanitise the party. Said "reforms" split the Stickies. The "Reformers" re-formulated themselves as the Democratic Left party. In they went to govt with the Blueshirts and the Smoked Salmons when the cards fell in their favour (1994).

The Provie Sinn Fein party would have to jump thru similar hoops to make themselves ammenable to Middle Ireland. It won't be for a while but it will happen.
Have another go.

The Rahenyite

I believe that John Bruton went into govt with DL for one reason, power.
Do you disagree?
Well yes, if my granny had balls she'd be my grandad to quote Liam Brady. Any more questions Chris Tarrant?

SuirView

Well yes, if my granny had balls she'd be my grandad to quote Liam Brady. Any more questions Chris Tarrant?
Thanks, you agree that Bruton joined up with DL for power.
The rest of your post is just silly, festive season explains a lot of posters behaviour!

The Rahenyite

Thanks, you agree that Bruton joined up with DL for power.
The rest of your post is just silly, festive season explains a lot of posters behaviour!
No it's because you annoy the hell out of me asking a question (gets answered) and follow up with another question. Sometimes you even ask questions you know the answer to. I don't expect a Spanish inquisition when I post on here......

PS-Do me a favour in future, be efficient and get your questions out of the way in one post.

SuirView

No it's because you annoy the hell out of me asking a question (gets answered) and follow up with another question. Sometimes you even ask questions you know the answer to. I don't expect a Spanish inquisition when I post on here......

PS-Do me a favour in future, be efficient and get your questions out of the way in one post.
For the record,
Do you agree that John Bruton went into govt with DL for power?
You're starting to backtrack.

SuirView

Your reply is practically the same as running away.

The Rahenyite

Your reply is practically the same as running away.
I agree with you, of course he got in bed with Democratic Left for power. Happy? Any more questions? Jez!!!!!!

SuirView

SuirView

Any connection between poor "The Rahenyite" & his granny having balls?
Join the dots.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom