The Alternative Xmas Message Thread 2016

Irish-Rationalist

Newcastle-upon-Shimna, I presume.......................

(I had to use Google maps to find the river's name.:)
According to some on here, Swords-upon-Hoopster.

I've used google maps and still can't find the river Hoopster ...

Irish-Rationalist

What do you think of Holloway coming back?
Holloway School?
Holloway Prison?
Holloway the footballer?

I'm really not Swords Hoopster. If you and he were talkative about soccer, it's completely lost on me.

belfast1981

Not too far away from it, in a 70% Woeman Kafflick town. And me, a wee Pradisan. Sometimes I visit the Asda in Kilkeel to be among my own tribe and hear the Ulster-Scots dialect. It's a completely foreign language.
Is Pitt Stop Pizza still open up in Kilkeel? It and the Dolphin had some of the best food in town when I was up and down there.

It's a lovely area the whole stretch from Dundrum to Kilkeel.. I just don't really like Kilkeel too much.

Irish-Rationalist

Is Pitt Stop Pizza still open up in Kilkeel? It and the Dolphin had some of the best food in town when I was up and down there.

It's a lovely area the whole stretch from Dundrum to Kilkeel.. I just don't really like Kilkeel too much.
I don't pay for over-priced pizza, so don't know. The Dolphin does the best fish & Chips in that area. Kilkeel's not great, but the Mountain Road through the Mournes offers some spectacular scenery.

belfast1981

I don't pay for over-priced pizza, so don't know. The Dolphin does the best fish & Chips in that area. Kilkeel's not great, but the Mountain Road through the Mournes offers some spectacular scenery.
I've only had Pit Stop a few times, it was expensive but very nice. Dolphin has always been fantastic since it opened back in the 90s :O The Galley in Annalong though is hard to beat, so is the chinese there. Always enjoyed the drive up from Kilkeel to Newry and up the said Mountain road too.

I used to enjoy a walk around Kilkeel, we used to come down from Newry street and across the road, there used to be a lovely walk from the town square down along the river out to the harbour then back up; Manse/Knockchree avenue. However I hear that walk along the river is now a drugs/drink den :(

There was a bar just up from the square on the 'protestant' side of the road at the traffic lights (Yeah, there was an old saying the left hand side of the street was protestant and the right hand side catholic lol).. Can't remember the name of it but it is AlfieG's now. It and a pub up Newry street were the two most horrible bars I have drank in :O

Does the Dolphin do mahi-mahi?:D
:O That thing could feed a family of 4 for a month!!

Irish-Rationalist

I've only had Pit Stop a few times, it was expensive but very nice. Dolphin has always been fantastic since it opened back in the 90s :O The Galley in Annalong though is hard to beat, so is the chinese there. Always enjoyed the drive up from Kilkeel to Newry and up the said Mountain road too.

I used to enjoy a walk around Kilkeel, we used to come down from Newry street and across the road, there used to be a lovely walk from the town square down along the river out to the harbour then back up; Manse/Knockchree avenue. However I hear that walk along the river is now a drugs/drink den :(

There was a bar just up from the square on the 'protestant' side of the road at the traffic lights (Yeah, there was an old saying the left hand side of the street was protestant and the right hand side catholic lol).. Can't remember the name of it but it is AlfieG's now. It and a pub up Newry street were the two most horrible bars I have drank in :O
I was always under the impression that Kilkeel was an exclusively Prod town, as it's all Loyalist flags and emblems all over the place. Then driving through it one day I seen a guy wearing a Celtic shirt standing outside a pub, with union flags all over the place. It was a bizarre sight, as he seemed entirely comfortable, and you just don't see that in Belfast. Then I stumbled upon a CNR area in Kilkeel, just off the road that takes you out towards Rostrevor and Warrenpoint. Didn't realise it was there until that point.

I've never set foot in any of the pubs in Kilkeel. Like most of the towns in South Down, it's very close-knit, very local. In Newcastle it's the same. Everywhere you go people are on first name terms with everyone else. As a life-long city-dweller, I find it very unusual and am not entirely comfortable with it, preferring anonymity.

Am I the only person in the world who is reminded of the Italian Riviera driving along the 2 mile stretch between Rostrevor and Warrenpoint?
Beautiful region. It reminds me of continental Europe. Switzerland or Germany, or somewhere better than Norn Iron. I like to drive Newcastle-Kilkeel-Rostrevor-Warrenpoint, then pop across the border for a meal and a pint or two in the Carlingford Arms, Carlingford, where the real Oirish people live.

Have you met the real Oirish? Foreigners! ;)

Ramon Mercadar

Have A Cool Yule & All The Best for 2017!

Irish-Rationalist

Always suspected that space cadet Santa was a Commie.

Enigma Variations

Apologies if this Youtube video was posted earlier on this thread or elsewhere, but if you haven't seen it before, enjoy!

[video=youtube;mrVzhXOANSk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrVzhXOANSk[/video]

Irish-Rationalist

Christmas time
Petrol bombs and crime
Children drinking whiskey and wine
Santa's a spoofer, he hates girls and boys
Climbs down the chimney and steals all their toys

Irish-Rationalist

Thought you were going to say "fecks all their boys" .
This reveals a lot of what's on your mind.

Seek counselling. It's never too late.

Irish-Rationalist

Well observed IR but he is not the only vile onionist on this forum.
Yes indeed, Michael Mac, and this thread deserves a seasonal boost.

To be shore.

Mickeymac

Yes indeed, Michael Mac, and this thread deserves a seasonal boost.

To be shore.

Not only this thread IR, the usual suspects have destroyed the NI forum, some great threads and discussions are brought down with one word comments like moi.....themuns.......and ridiculous whataboutery which have no bearing on the subjects under the microscope.

cricket

Not only this thread IR, the usual suspects have destroyed the NI forum, some great threads and discussions are brought down with one word comments like moi.....themuns.......and ridiculous whataboutery which have no bearing on the subjects under the microscope.
And some other langer refers to onionists and the sick counties :rolleyes:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies