The Amazon Race: The hunt for HQ2.

NYCKY

Last month Amazon announced that it was looking for a second North American headquarter setting off a scramble among North American provinces, states, cities, counties and municipalities. It all culminated in a total of 238 bids by the deadline last week. Bids were received from 54 states and provinces, six Canadian provinces, three Mexican provinces, 43 states as well as Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia. Seven states offered no bids, but they were largely rural states, like the Dakatos and Vermont, that likely wouldn’t have met the requirements. That said, Arkansas, home to rival Wal*Mart was one of the states that declined to bid.

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=17044620011

Amazon HQ2 will be Amazon’s second headquarters in North America. We expect to invest over $5 billion in construction and grow this second headquarters to include as many as 50,000 high-paying jobs – it will be a full equal to our current campus in Seattle. In addition to Amazon’s direct hiring and investment, construction and ongoing operation of Amazon HQ2 is expected to create tens of thousands of additional jobs and tens of billions of dollars in additional investment in the surrounding community.
Amazon by almost any measure, revenues, market capitalization, number of employees etc is one of the largest companies in the US and its decision to open a second corporate headquarters is unique among major corporations. Then again the company has always been nothing if not innovative, it has given us Kindle, Echo, Prime and Dash Button among other initiatives.

The new headquarters will over time provide tens of thousand high paying jobs directly, thousands more through anicillary services and boost the local economy to the tune of billions of dollars. It is also likely to change the political fortunes of any Governor or Mayor that is successful in snagging the prize.

In return, Amazon, is looking for a location close to an international airport, a solid transportation infrastructure, a strong education system, that the host area be a good cultural fit and of course lots of goodies in terms of tax incentives and other sweeteners from the local government.

The race is on for Amazon

But few buildups are so linked to the prospects of one company. Amazon has contributed $30 billion to the local economy and as much as $55 billion more in spinoff benefits. Unemployment in the Seattle area is 3.7 percent, below the national rate of 4.4 percent.
There have been challenges with hosting HQ1, increased traffic and congestion, higher house prices etc but on balance it seems to be a positive relationship.

Amazon HQ2: Is A Mega-Deal Always Worth It For A Community? : NPR

"Our concern about [the Amazon] deal is that states and cities are going to overspend for the deal so badly that they'll never break even," LeRoy says. "If you as a mayor think, 'Oh, I've gotta break the bank for this deal' ... what money will you have left to maintain the quality of life that you have?"
There has been some speculation that Amazon will be compelled to break up in the future if it keeps growing the way it is but for better or worse, they have revolutionized the way we shop.

The decision on the new HQ location is expected to be announced early next year.

There are obvious benefits and drawbacks here.

Is the deal worth chasing? Too much corporate welfare? Too attractive to ignore?

PC Principle

Not much different to what Ireland does to whôre itself and pimp its people out to MNC's really.

Personally I hope my home town Las Vegas gets the new HQ.

Would be a major win for what is an amazing city that's diversifing it's economy continuously.

Vegas has an amazing infrastructure and some of the best roads in America with the only traffic congestion being on the strip.

Workers would be easily attracted by zero state income taxes, a phenomenal climate and quality of life.

Last edited:

Hillmanhunter1

For most States and municipalities this is too attractive to ignore.

Given that Amazon's current HQ is in Seattle, but most of its US customers live on the East coast, I'm guessing that the new HQ might be in Atlanta, or close to there.

Roberto Jordan

Amazon by almost any measure, revenues, market capitalization, number of employees etc is one of the largest companies in the US a
All measures except profits.......albeit it looks like they will continue to grow....

Roberto Jordan

Not much different to what Ireland does to whôre itself and pimp its people out to MNC's really.

Pe.
Only in a very superficial way. Generally what ireland does is facilitate location finding, applictaion of the taxation , import etc. legislation with the big wins being the systemic non company specific resources ( people, tax laws etc.) The whole point of the EU case is investigate corporation specific facilitation's.

This is winding up to look more akin to the nut job facilitation of major league sports teams that goe son in the US or sports events internationally. With specific legislation, incentives and public funding being applied......
So only like ireland if ireland were to , for example, run a bill trhough the Oireachtas called the "Amazon development bill" enabling a corporation specific tax write-off and expenditure of public capital for that specific company's needs......

Dont know where they will do but Newark was covered in the NYT last week and i think it would be a interesting and mutually beneficial choice

paddycomeback

Personally I hope my home town Las Vegas gets the new HQ.

Would be a major win for what is an amazing city that's diversifing it's economy continuously.

Vegas has an amazing infrastructure and some of the best roads in America with the only traffic congestion being on the strip.

Workers would be easily attracted by zero state income taxes, a phenomenal climate and quality of life.
Thanks for contributing to an Irish website and calling us pimps and whores.
Is there no unmoderated insult platform in the US where you can discuss American companies and insult the Irish?

PC Principle

Is there no unmoderated insult platform in the US where you can discuss American companies and insult the Irish?
That's hilarious because p.ie is obsessed with all things America.

Even this thread. :)

So thanks for commenting on an American topic which has nothing to do with Ireland.

Your insecurities are noted. As a duel Irish/US citizen I'll post where the fûck I like thanks.

As you were.

HarshBuzz

Sure, the fact that he thinks Vegas has 'a phenomenal climate' tells you everything you need to know. :p

Socratus O' Pericles

That's hilarious because p.ie is obsessed with all things America.

Even this thread. :)

So thanks for commenting on an American topic which has nothing to do with Ireland.

Your insecurities are noted. As a duel Irish/US citizen I'll post where the fûck I like thanks.

As you were.
Dual.

locke

There has been some speculation that Amazon will be compelled to break up in the future if it keeps growing the way it is but for better or worse, they have revolutionized the way we shop.
That talk centres on splitting the Retail operation, the Devices operation and Amazon Web Services. Without anti-trust involvement, I can't see the Retail business splitting up.

Wagmore

This website needs American based posters like PC to save us from our stupidity. Dean Swift called this kip an open air asylum.On the evidence posted here,nothing has changed

firefly123

This website needs American based posters like PC to save us from our stupidity. Dean Swift called this kip an open air asylum.On the evidence posted here,nothing has changed
Go self flagilate somewhere else.

New Threads

Most Replies