The Angelus and its link to Child Abuse in Ireland

PODSNR

While recently talking to a victim of child abuse in one of the infamous institutions he told me the nightmare is repeated on a daily basis due to the daily broadcast of the Angelus by RTE. Apparently the brothers lined the children up daily to say the Angelus and used it as an excuse to physically & sexually abuse those not seen to be fervent enough in their prayers.

Why in the year 2009 does RTE continue this outdated Roman Catholic activity as surely it is a secular government funded organisation. If it so devastating to the victims of the Irish holocaust it need to be removed from the airwaves.

Please join me & send your e-mail to complaints@rte.ie.

This is surely an issue where public opinion can win.

Captain Con O'Sullivan

I thought there was a breakdown in transmission and called the family back to take a look at the 'test card' they used in Ireland during such events.

It had to be explained to me what on earth it was. I wouldn't mind but they were the most morose and wan pieces of 'art' ever and broadcast in peak viewing time.

How the f*ck can RTE justify treating a religion as a national icon?

markeys

I think it should stay. I don't see any reason to remove it.

IMHO, I reckon most people feel that way too.

TheLastPaddy

You really can't stand the Angelus being tolled, can you? Next you guys will want it to be outlawed and heck, why not bring back the Penal Laws? Something has to be done about those Irish Catholic peasants believing in this nonsensical religious stuff and no better men to do it than enlightened folk such as yourselves!

Last edited:

SamVimesBoots

I don't see any reason to remove it.
How about it being symbolism of a discredited sick and twisted religion that more and more people in this country are coming to deeply despise for all its evil works over decades and decades?

How about it being inappropriate to say the least for the State broadcaster to be pushing one religion over all others in a now multi-faith society?

How about "separation of Church and State"?

How about the pain of everyone abused by representatives of that sick religion being shoved in their faces twice daily?

Once we've rounded up all the FFers, the religious are next on my list. A good meaty purge. It's the only way to save Ireland.

sauntersplash

A little bit over the top?
The Angelus is silly, no doubt about that. But nonetheless we cannot wrap the country in cotton wool because of the tragedies of the past.

femmefatale

Yes, it's official, the Angelus is the cause of child abuse! :rolleyes:

If the Brothers had beaten children for failing to recite the Our Father, or say the Rosary to their satisfaction, would they also be regarded as sources/causes of child abuse! :roll: I hear some of the religious liked to listen to classical music; I say we ban that source of perversion and persecution too! :rolleyes:

PLEASE WISE UP! Thanks.

Aindriu

Clanrickard

People who want to be bothered will find something to be bothered about. Their is a Christian Heritage in this country and the Angelus reflects that. It goes out three times in a 24 hour period for 1 minute. If you get hot and bothered about it go for a long walk or take an aspirin.

SamVimesBoots

The "Christian Heritage" of this country is an abomination that needs to be ripped out, by force if necessary, if this country is ever to be free.

mccafferty cat

Why not tear down every church in the country? Surely they act as reminders to victims as well ?

And what about Father Ted? Should it be cancelled? All those references to Catholicism....

Abacus

While recently talking to a victim of child abuse in one of the infamous institutions he told me the nightmare is repeated on a daily basis due to the daily broadcast of the Angelus by RTE. Apparently the brothers lined the children up daily to say the Angelus and used it as an excuse to physically & sexually abuse those not seen to be fervent enough in their prayers.

Please join me & send your e-mail to complaints@rte.ie.

This is surely an issue where public opinion can win.
It's not going to change anytime soon because it's one of the symbols of social control exercised by all religions in some shape or form.

If inattention at Angelus time was a punishable 'offence' which apparently it was, the question simply must be asked as to how much attention the all-seeing, all-knowing ONE was paying ? More theological explanations will ensue, no doubt.

Just how can people be so stupid ?

Hewson

How about it being symbolism of a discredited sick and twisted religion that more and more people in this country are coming to deeply despise for all its evil works over decades and decades?

How about it being inappropriate to say the least for the State broadcaster to be pushing one religion over all others in a now multi-faith society?

How about the pain of everyone abused by representatives of that sick religion being shoved in their faces twice daily?
There's only one poster on my ignore list, so after this I'll have to add you, sad to say. You'll be joining another chip-on-the-shoulder, angry little intellectual pigmy by the name of cHeal. It's not just that your posts lack any argumentative value but even their delivery is devoid of creativity.

You have a lot of issues to work out of your system before you grow up, but I don't have to suffer through the process along with you.

Adios.

oscartango

Ah, now I know a little something about this having worked in the government department concerned for some years and seen some correspondence with RTE in the matter. I'm relying on the old memory now so please bear with me.

The Angelus was only supposed to have been broadcast in the Holy Year of 1954. A dispute arose from the off over which bells were to be recorded for broadcast. Archbishop John Charles McQuaid didn't want a certain religious order on the Dublin quays getting their bells on the radio; it's true, it really was that petty.

Anyway, the starting day for broadcasting was missed because of this row and a few technical hitches and the Angelus didn't appear until 15 August, the Feast of the Assumption.

When the Holy Year ended, Radio Eireann (as it then was) agreed to let the Angelus stay as over half the previous year's agreed broadcasting had been missed out. And once Archbishop McQuaid had got his foot in the door there was no getting it out again, even though some voices of protest were raised inside and outside the station.

The Angelus went straight onto television when that started in the early 1960s. By this stage RTE had appointed a Head of Religious Broadcasts - a priest naturally. Since then, to the very best of my knowledge and recollection, the Head of Religious (and now Social as well) Broadcasting has been a member of the Catholic clergy. I'm open to correction on that if anyone knows otherwise.

The main point, however, is that the original deal was that the Angelus was for only the one year. Yeh, as if. ;)

markeys

That is of course just your one man opinion. I disagree. i think of the hundreds of thousands of people that do good work and are just as horrified as you as to what has happened. No need to label them all with the one brush. After all, I don't tar you with the sins of FF.

I consider it appropriate. You're only stating your view again.

What seperation of Chuch and State? Thats something you've poofed out of thin air. Have you read the constitution? In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity...Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ.
After moaning about the Roman Catholic Faith, don't be coming here and attempting to ram your multi-faith crap don't my throat. Hypocritical in the extreme.

You're tarring everybody again with the same brush. What do you have to say about FF you sick man? If you're going to hold the whole church responsible for the sins of the view, I demand you be held responsible for FF's actions. Thats only fair, right?

Once we've rounded up all the FFers, the religious are next on my list. A good meaty purge. It's the only way to save Ireland.
Yes, but don't let your abuse of religion stop you from ramming your own religious views (multi-faith, religion is bad blah blah) down everybody else's throat.

Its always laughable to hear people on about religion and how religion has controlled the people and country ... and then in the next breath attempt to impose their own non-religious views on everybody else. Pot. Kettle. Black.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I think the Angelus should still be broadcast twice a day, but on digital channel 6965965789, when we get that technology up and running.

Remember they used to broadcast mass and religious services on RTE Radio 1 every Sunday morning until quite recently, now they continue it on medium wave only. That will be the way forward I daresay.

Edit: except they shut down medium wave didn't they? Where is it now then? Online and DAB? That's the way the Angelus will go. Quizzy is never wrong.

humptydumpty

for some reason my Dog howls during the Angelus.

SamVimesBoots

I see the apologists for the Sky Fairy and his minions of destruction are a tad sensitive and defensive.

Good, you should be. Don't give me that "but some religious do good things, don't tar all with the same brush blah blah" nonsense. Religions have spent millennia wading through oceans of blood, you want me to be happy because along their bloody trail of chaos and death and ignorance they sometimes gave lollipops to fluffy puppies? Pah, ridiculous. Servile apologias for lunacy and abuse and death, would ye ever catch a grip.

It won't be long though before Ireland is purged of the lot of ye. It's the 21st century, not the 14th.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies