The Annual Bottle Bank Overfill Season. Who's to blame?

YesSireeeBob

Easy to blame the people leaving the bottles here but after going to all the trouble loading up the car and bringing them to the bottle bank, I don't blame them.

These are not bad people - they were told to recycle, did what was required of them, and the people responsible for ensuring there was enough capacity for bottles at the busiest time of year didn't do their job.

First pic is this week.
Last two pics are 30th Dec 2015.

Never Done Wining | Broadsheet.ie
All The Trimmings | Broadsheet.ie

Watcher2

I agree that its a disgrace there are not sufficient banks/services to the banks but I think the design is also bad and people should make more of an effort to attempt to break the bottles as they place them in the bins. I tend to chuck them as hard as possible. Not easy I admit but I still end up breaking a good few of them all the same. I'm not sure how to fix it and design the banks in such a way as to easily break the bottles as the fall to/hit the bottom.

SeanieFitz

I agree that its a disgrace there are not sufficient banks/services to the banks but I think the design is also bad and people should make more of an effort to attempt to break the bottles as they place them in the bins. I tend to chuck them as hard as possible. Not easy I admit but I still end up breaking a good few of them all the same. I'm not sure how to fix it and design the banks in such a way as to easily break the bottles as the fall to/hit the bottom.
Difficult to find suitable location for these, without the goodwill of business owners there would be even less of them

Victim of there own success to a certain extent however they work well, most of the time

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Increase the price of all alcohol as these people just do not care how much they drink. A new tax must be added to alcohol to cover the cost of recycling and paying the wages of the people who remove them. The minister who comes up with a name for this new service charge will be given a super duper junior ministership with a pay increase.

Watcher2

Difficult to find suitable location for these, without the goodwill of business owners there would be even less of them

Victim of there own success to a certain extent however they work well, most of the time
Absolutely. I couldn't agree more, however, they should be serviced more frequently. Well done to the business owners. These bins take up valuable real estate. And people use them with the best of intentions. I just wish they would try to break more of the bottles given the poor servicing of the banks. Only a small bugbear though.

RasherHash

Santy?

Denis o brien?

Trump?

Clue: If there's swastikas on it...it's defo Santy ;)

Orbit v2

Fookin hell. Leaving bottles like that is littering - plain and simple. If the bank is full, as is likely this time of year, you bring it home. Same nonsense with litter bins. People think they can throw it anywhere, unless there is an empty bin right next to them.

Disillusioned democrat

Increase the price of all alcohol as these people just do not care how much they drink. A new tax must be added to alcohol to cover the cost of recycling and paying the wages of the people who remove them. The minister who comes up with a name for this new service charge will be given a super duper junior ministership with a pay increase.
Because, in the end, it's for our own GOOD!!!

Clanrickard

Introduce a levy scheme for bottles, jars and cans. When people have enough let the drinks companies using the levies come and collect the bottles and cans.

Accidental sock

I've been driving around with a boot full of empties for a week.

I have a new respect for speedbumps.

Fractional Reserve

FFS the amounts of tax on alcohol is extortionist.The council have a deal done with a company to provide this service , obviously they didnt judge it too well so back to the drawing board and get right .

The Field Marshal

So you expect people to wrench their wrists off by reaching into a usually a smelly foul encrusted opening and then try fling the bottles to the bottom?

Naturally you are unaware that the as the bin fills up your suggested technique becomes useless.

The solution is to pay people for the return of this glass.

Until that happens the bottle bank is afaic a free for all.

The Field Marshal

Just dump it all beside the bottle bank.

The miserable bastards operating these facilities are making loadsa money from your property and your labour.

Bill

It's nice to see that joke getting it's annual outing!!! Dec 1st may be a World Record though.
Where do you live?
Oops wrong post quoted, that question was for the boot full of empties post.

The Field Marshal

The Field Marshal

Put a little note into each bottle and send a Christmas message to a lonely person.

You can then post the bottles from any sea shore.

Life,s a beach you know.

Watcher2

So you expect people to wrench their wrists off by reaching into a usually a smelly foul encrusted opening and then try fling the bottles to the bottom?

Naturally you are unaware that the as the bin fills up your suggested technique becomes useless.

The solution is to pay people for the return of this glass.

Until that happens the bottle bank is afaic a free for all.
If you cared to read my post properly rather than frothing at the mouth anytime you see a post of mine, you would notice I'm not expecting anyone to do anything I am not doing myself.

So go crawl back under the rock from whence you came.

New Threads

Most Replies