• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The annual "spot the boy doing well in Leaving Cert." competition

Trainwreck

Yes it is that time again when the media turn to celebrate the academic success and prowess of that most oppressed group in society.

Young women.

Wall to wall coverage of jumping smiling girls and young women with their excellent LC results. Off to take up their 60% oppression-laden share of (taxpayer funded) university places.

But just don't forget, more "affirmative action is needed people". The "patriarchy" can't be killed off if we become complacent.

Poor boys and young men? Fúck em.

Last edited:

GDPR

What is success at the leaving though? We've courses coming out the wazoo for all type of obscure topics, and yet we ignore the growing deficit in apprenticeships that apparently not fashionable cos we can simply import of course.

silverharp

if it doesn't work out there might be a place on this course :lol:

silverharp

the journal kicked off with this yesterday but only a sample of 1 , but I guess the narrative is girls are brilliant but why are they being kept out of some of the top STEM fields and how can this be addressed ... boys erm meh!

"I was just so over the moon" - Here's how it feels to get 8 A1s in the Leaving Cert

“I was just so over the moon”

One student who received the top result is Emma Louse Ruane from Mount St Michael’s school in Mayo.

Speaking to TheJournal.ie, Emma Louise said she was delighted that the work she had put in had paid off.

“I was overwhelmed when I opened the envelope… I couldn’t believe it,” she said.

“I was just so over the moon that all my hard work had paid off.

Sister Mercedes

And what about the students who did worse than they expected? I didn't see any of them interviewed.

The news coverage gives a (false) impression of everyone thrilled, which just adds to the despair of those who didn't do well.

daveL

And what about the students who did worse than they expected? I didn't see any of them interviewed.

The news coverage gives a (false) impression of everyone thrilled, which just adds to the despair of those who didn't do well.
well 4000 failing maths was a headline yesterday

Felixness

well 4000 failing maths was a headline yesterday
Yeah, the reporter on RTE made a bizarre comparison with higher level Physics having the same fail numbers? One expects more people to pass their maths exam than a higher level Physics exam. :roll: There are too many subject choices now and an even more ridiculous number of useless degree courses at university.

RasherHash

Agreed, the elite and their RTE cipher love those who will be the next rank of elites.

Fair play to those who have good memories or don't have active social lives or are shít at sports.

An excellent memory is prized above all things in our society.

Ridiculous.

Barna

Yes it is that time again when the media turn to celebrate the academic success and prowess of that most oppressed group in society.

Young women.

Wall to wall coverage of jumping smiling girls and young women with their excellent LC results. Off to take up their 60% oppression-laden share of (taxpayer funded) university places.

But just don't forget, more "affirmative action is needed people". The "patriarchy" can't be killed off if we become complacent.

Poor boys and young men? Fúck em.
TBF, pravda had a young boy on it's report yesterday who got 8 A1's.
And he was black!!!
Take that!

constitutionus

hey this is exactly the type of qualification you need to work in RTE !.....

...... So long as your also related to someone there.

parentheses

So true. RTE are notorious for that type of coverage.

Mad as Fish

Waste management is an important aspect of life nowadays and is indeed a subject worthy of study, and so is dance, but to lump the two together.....!

Betson

So true. RTE are notorious for that type of coverage.
It is completely over the top nonsense coverage and gives the impression that if you are not jumping for joy like the people we interview then your life is over.

Regardless of how you got on your life is really only starting now and you are still in complete control of how it will work out no matter how well or poorly you done in a once off state exam that relies far too much on memory than intelligence.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies