The "Anti Semitism Awareness Act"

Dame_Enda

Congress is likely to pass the Anti Semitism Awareness Act next year. The law - whose constitutionality is questioned by GOP Representative Bob Goodlatte (Virginia) - would criminalise "anti semitism" and define it to include the so-called "3 Ds" 'demonisation of Israel', 'double standards' in criticising Israel and 'delegitimisatiion'. The House has already voted unanimously for the bill. The bill has already passed in the Senate and is supported by AIPAC.

The Bill clearly raises serious First Amendment Issues because it clamps down on free speech. It is particularly targeted at pro-Palestinian student groups and the BDS movement. The Senate has already passed the bill, which requires universities to use the above definition of anti-semitism to enforce anti-discrimination measures under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act. Under this provision, aggrieved parties may sue the Federal agency responsible for funding the institution accused of discrimination. The ASAA would have the effect in my opinion of putting criticism of a state (Israel) on the same level as discrimination on grounds of nationality - which is unprecedented in US law.

Its likely that to avoid such lawsuits, universities might punish students involved in pro-Palestinian activism under the spurious pretext that it constitutes "anti-semitism". As I said dubious constitutional territory in First Amendment Terms.

However the bill won't pass this year because Rep. Goodlatte says there are First Amendment issues. But its likely to pass next year. Its possible the Republicans are waiting to get a pro-Israel judge on the SC to make sure it will stick?

Scholar Noam Chomsky says anti-Zionism "“is not a form of anti-Semitism. It’s simply criticism of the criminal actions of a state, period.” I am opposed to anti-semitism but I am also opposed to oppression by the State of Israel both of the Palestinians and of Israeli dissidents including Btselem.

Last edited:

ger12

This was a bipartisan bill.

redneck

This has shades to me of the "Red scaremongering" of the McCarthy era in the States. Indirectly led to the Vietnam war, and nearly WW3.

kerdasi amaq

How weak America has become that non-American congresscritters are not afraid to vote for a bill like this.

Old Mr Grouser

GDPR

How weak America has become that non-American congresscritters are not afraid to vote for a bill like this.
"Is Britain to be a nation in her own right or the obedient servant and satellite of the United States?"- that was Enoch Powell urging people to vote Labour in 1983, however after the murder of John Smith the probable CIA agent Tony Blair took control over the LP and went on to win the election, the rest is history. However the United States has always been little more than a Freemasonic social experiment as opposed to anything organic. Whether the US serves the Zionists or the Zionists serve the US is up for grabs- anyhow Mother Europe must protect herself from both.

Jim Car

Congress is likely to pass the Anti Semitism Awareness Act next year. The law - whose constitutionality is questioned by GOP Representative Bob Goodlatte (Virginia) - would criminalise "anti semitism" and define it to include the so-called "3 Ds" 'demonisation of Israel', 'double standards' in criticising Israel and 'delegitimisatiion'. The House has already voted unanimously for the bill. The bill has already passed in the Senate and is supported by AIPAC.

The Bill clearly raises serious First Amendment Issues because it clamps down on free speech. It is particularly targeted at pro-Palestinian student groups and the BDS movement. The Senate has already passed the bill, which requires universities to use the above definition of anti-semitism to enforce anti-discrimination measures under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act. Under this provision, aggrieved parties may sue the Federal agency responsible for funding the institution accused of discrimination. The ASAA would have the effect in my opinion of putting criticism of a state (Israel) on the same level as discrimination on grounds of nationality - which is unprecedented in US law.

Its likely that to avoid such lawsuits, universities might punish students involved in pro-Palestinian activism under the spurious pretext that it constitutes "anti-semitism". As I said dubious constitutional territory in First Amendment Terms.

However the bill won't pass this year because Rep. Goodlatte says there are First Amendment issues. But its likely to pass next year. Its possible the Republicans are waiting to get a pro-Israel judge on the SC to make sure it will stick?

Scholar Noam Chomsky says anti-Zionism "“is not a form of anti-Semitism. It’s simply criticism of the criminal actions of a state, period.” I am opposed to anti-semitism but I am also opposed to oppression by the State of Israel both of the Palestinians and of Israeli dissidents including Btselem.
If your description is accurate it certainly does on the face of it seem to raise serious issues. One question I have, to be guilty under the act must you commit all three of the Ds or just one of them? Im not one for encouraging the criminalisation of speech or being an idiot as it may be in some cases. Either way i don't think it will hold up but then again I'm not a constitutional lawyer or a judge. mind you a conservative court is far more likely to reject it then a liberal one given previous stances by conservative justices in regard to the first amendment.

between the bridges

"Is Britain to be a nation in her own right or the obedient servant and satellite of the United States?"- that was Enoch Powell urging people to vote Labour in 1983, however after the murder of John Smith the probable CIA agent Tony Blair took control over the LP and went on to win the election, the rest is history. However the United States has always been little more than a Freemasonic social experiment as opposed to anything organic. Whether the US serves the Zionists or the Zionists serve the US is up for grabs- anyhow Mother Europe must protect herself from both.
Where do you get yer acid...

O'Sullivan Bere

I don't see anything in there that's unconstitutional, and the bill specifically prohibits unconstitutional application of it.
Anti Semitism Awareness Act - Bill

Raising awareness on school campuses is a fine idea. Obviously the bill also triggers suspicion that it can be abused and that's it's also a form of pandering to Jewish lobby groups.

No doubt there's some pandering there, but if applied correctly, that's good pandering because there is a key difference between antisemitism and legitimate protest activities of Israeli policies, and lines get crossed IMO in some situations. Racists also like to wiggle their way into arguments over Israeli policies and it's wise to keep an eye out for that.

My criticism lies with not having acts that do the same for Muslims. Under Trump's sales pitching with GOP backing, they likely need such an act more so with all the talk of virtually sticking yellow Crescents on them.

PeaceGoalie

Congress is likely to criminalise "anti semitism" and define it to include the so-called "3 Ds" 'demonisation of Israel', 'double standards' in criticising Israel and 'delegitimisatiion'.
Demonisation: Like Hitler did to his enemies or like eg Fine Gael or the Quakers do to theirs. There are degrees, just like there are all kinds of demons, as we learn in Paradise Lost.
double standards' in criticising Israel : Is there another Jewish supremacist state we can compare it to to use double standards? Lots of Muslims, Christians and atheists are total cnuuuuuts too. Few practice apartheid as Israel do. Saudi Arabia is undoubtedly a bestial state. Are we allowed say that?
Delegitimisation: There is nothing legit about it. It is not a normal state, It has influence well above what it deserves to have, as this move amply illustrates. It is kinda gas the USA's richest minority can play the victim.

The USA's second richest minority, the Armenians, must lag far behind. Israel still refuses to recognise their genocide, which formed the template for Hitler's own ones.
My avatar has the Assyrian flag, another genocide or series of genocides Israel does not care about. They are trying to kick the Syriacs out of Bethlehem and Jerusalem. Is that DDD?

Dame_Enda

PeaceGoalie said:
The USA's second richest minority, the Armenians, must lag far behind. Israel still refuses to recognise their genocide, which formed the template for Hitler's own ones
Sounds like "double standards".

Old Mr Grouser

Here's Senator Tim Scott, one of the Sponsors of the Bill, explaining why he believes that it's needed -

[video=youtube;Ne7g5-5LyNM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne7g5-5LyNM[/video]

HarshBuzz

I'd generally be pro-Israel but I really hate the idea of this Bill.

I mean seriously; switch in the words French\France for example and you see how ludicrous it is.

PeaceGoalie

Raising awareness on school campuses is a fine idea. Obviously the bill also triggers suspicion that it can be abused and that's it's also a form of pandering to Jewish lobby groups.

No doubt there's some pandering there, but if applied correctly, that's good pandering because there is a key difference between antisemitism and legitimate protest activities of Israeli policies, and lines get crossed IMO in some situations. Racists also like to wiggle their way into arguments over Israeli policies and it's wise to keep an eye out for that.

My criticism lies with not having acts that do the same for Muslims. Under Trump's sales pitching with GOP backing, they likely need such an act more so with all the talk of virtually sticking yellow Crescents on them.
Raising awareness: The Holocaust Industry
Pandering to Jewish lobby groups; Surely Not
antisemitism and racists: They do have a long history. But racists pop up everywhere and no one has yet paid compensation for wrecking the Egyptian state at the time of Exodus. Then we have the genocide campaigns in Gaza and Lebanon.

Muslims: There are good Muslims and bad Muslims eg CAIR.

More Laws: No. Knee jerk laws are not helpful, One must decide what kind of society one wants and the law must serve that, as long as the law is not subversively obedient as it was in Nazi Gernan and as it is in Saudi Arabia and Israel, both of which do not believe in diversity and so do not accept refugees.
Oh dear. I just attacked both Saudi Arabia and Israel, the terrible twins.

Billixed

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies