The "Art" of Noise

hollandia

Empty vessels make the most noise, it is said. Indeed, there is a certain truth to it from time to time. In fact the media, and particular the political media are quite happy to believe that that certain truth rings true all of the time. Why? Because it suits them to do so.

It suits them in a number of ways. Firstly, it means that the superficially outrageous can be instantly dismissed as the ramblings of another axe-grinder, whilst at the same time - precisely because it is superficially outrageous – a tiny seed is planted in someone somewhere.

Secondly, the golden rule of Irish Political Thought ™ is “above all else, be heard to say something”. Being heard to say anything, is what keeps you fresh in the minds of the voters, and fresh in the minds of the guys and gals who put together radio and TV discussion panels.

Witness last week’s “brawl in the Dáil” between Marc MacSharry and Team Healy Rae. Do we honestly believe that Team Healy Rae are one bit worried about being ridiculed on Sky TV? Not a bit of it. More likely, they are delighted with themselves. Why, because for a few days, people – and largely people outside of Kerry, it should be said – are talking about “Oh. My. God - Fiachra - would you, like, look at the state of those god-awful bog monkeys from the sticks?” “Totes, Sorcha. It’s like they’ve never even heard of a latte venti…” The good people of Kerry meanwhile see two local reps sticking it to some urbanite upstart, and the rest of the country talks about all three – “Shewer, aren’t they all the same, those politicians – if dey’re not lyin’ dey’re fightin’…”. And of course, lots of lovely, very important, highly nutritious and wholesome free publicity.

[video=youtube;SporZ78I1wE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SporZ78I1wE[/video]

Of course, this is where we look to our media to hold our politicians to account. Isn’t it?

Well, not if we go by the standard of debate on broadcast media. “Well, shewer, don’t those meeja types all have an agenda?”, I hear you ask. Indeed they do have an agenda. And that, in and of itself is not really problematic in the commercial field of broadcasting – you pays your money and you takes your chances, as they say. Ditto for the print media, which very definitely reflects the values of its owners. Again, no real problem with this. You pay your money, and your newspaper reflects your viewpoint. As for the consumer – if you don’t like it, don’t buy it. And if enough people don’t buy it, watch it, or listen to it, sales dry up, and your problem magically vanishes.

The real problem lies in the field of Public or State Broadcasting. RTÉ has a legislative requirement to be unbiased and fair in its coverage of politics, as outlined in its Public Service Statement:

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/about/rte-public-service-statement-english.pdf

RtÉ is a not-for-profit national media organisation which exists to serve the Irish people and Irish communities abroad. RtÉ has a duty in law to be accurate, fair and impartial, and to remain independent from all state, political and commercial influences.
every day and across all its services, RtÉ will continue to follow these principles by:
Remaining independent:
Providing high quality national and international news services that are accurate, impartial and objective
Ensuring its treatment of current affairs and matters of public controversy, in addition to being impartial and objective, is fair to all interests.
Placing the audience’s interests at the heart of our decision making
Ensuring the integrity of our services and that editorial decision-making is not subject to undue influence from any commercial, political, religious, social or cultural interest.
This neutrality is where RtÉ fails time and time again. The RtÉ bias against Sinn Féin is a well-worn trope at this point, and there’s no real need to go over it here. But when you’re being called out on it by Village Magazine, you know it’s real enough…

https://villagemagazine.ie/index.php/2016/03/biased-media-election-2016/

When RTÉ – which unlike newspapers has a statutory obligation to be fair, to which it pays often hilarious lip-service – allowed crime-hack Paul Williams on the Late Late Show to use the issue of the Special Criminal Court to denounce Sinn Féin and its voters, on the very same day that he and we learned of his shrinking circulation relevance, it was not only a disgrace, it was most probably consequential for the election outcome.
Interestingly, it’s not the “revelation” that RtÉ are biased against SF that’s the core issue highlighted here. It comes back to the “being heard to say something” rule. What Village Magazine are alleging, is not only the possibility that RtÉ affected the outcome of the 2016 election (not the first time they’ve swung that particular cat, I hear you all cry), but that they willfully facilitated airtime to a “journalist” in order to attempt to boost the falling sales of one of the pillars of the established Irish Media.

Allegations of bias abound when it comes to RtÉ – Marian Finucane proferring her advice to the government re Brexit twice last weekend:

RTÉ Radio Player

RTÉ Radio Player

It’s not always in the field of Politics that RtÉ exerts its bias in favour of a certain issue. The Ray D’Arcy Show was recently censuredby the BAI (Broadcasting Authority of Ireland) – not, strikingly for its appalling quality – but for its apparent pro-abortion stance, giving 81 minutes on one show to pro-choice matters, and a mere 4 to pro-life.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/bai-issues-formal-warning-notice-to-rte-over-the-ray-darcy-show-35311943.html

Interesting that this was the third such complaint upheld against this show, and that this was
“a matter of concern for the [BAI] Committee.”
A matter of concern? Well that will certainly teach them… for €160 each :)

The fact of the matter is there is little, or no, meaningful censure for broadcasters who step out of line. Let’s have a look at the evidence:

BAI Complaints about RTÉ 2011 - RTÉ About

https://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0627/459233-bai-upholds-two-compaints-against-rtes-liveline/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/broadcasting-watchdog-partially-upholds-complaint-against-rté-1.1805096?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https://www.irishtimes.com/news/p olitics/broadcasting-watchdog-partially-upholds-complaint-against-rt%C3%A9-1.1805096

And of course the BAI website itself – you may recognize one or two of the compainants from P.ie’s very own manor.

You searched for complaints - Broadcast Authority of Ireland

You searched for decisions - Broadcast Authority of Ireland

The truth is, that there is no compunction on RtÉ to reign its presenters in, because the watchdog – in this case the BAI – is toothless, gave up barking quite sometime ago, and “has gone to live on a farm”. So, next time, two culchies and a gilded princeling are verbally slugging it out, ask yourself cui bono?

Not you or I, for sure. Who benefits? The political media circus, and it’s cossetted members.

Last edited:

between the bridges

Zoo...

Nedz Newt

Danny was on the TV3 show last night (as was Marc MacSharry) talking about the future of city planning.
Danny's sole purpose in being there was to name-check as many towns in Kerry as he could. He stopped before he got to Lyracrompane (which must be Michael's end)

GDPR

RTE never had any ethos of independence from govt.

Charmed circle of nit-wits, with no creative impulse or any commitment to anything hut their own comfort. Just another comfortable pad.

No one RTE has ever employed comes near to the great David Dunseith. Of Ulster.

former wesleyan

Balance me hole.

....and now lets have a word from the pedophile spokesman.

Mitsui2

He stopped before he got to Lyracrompane (which must be Michael's end)
No offence to any natives of the place that may be reading this, but "Lyracrompane" sounds like a makey-up name for a haemorrhoid cream or something like that -

"24 hour relief with new, improved-formula Lyracrompane. Available now at your local pharmacist!"

Does it really exist? I'm nearly afraid to google it!

Nedz Newt

No offence to any natives of the place that may be reading this, but "Lyracrompane" sounds like a makey-up name for a haemorrhoid cream or something like that -

"24 hour relief with new, improved-formula Lyracrompane. Available now at your local pharmacist!"

I does indeed, north Kerry, and spoken the way a Kerry person would say it, it sounds far better than it looks in writing.
It's spoken as if it were a collection of Irish words, which is what it is.
The final syllable (the "pane") is pronounced "paun", like bán, and the Rs are rolled a bit.
Like Toorenasligane, which no doubt you're familiar with.

"Athlone"* on the other hand always sounded like something you'd administer to a child faking illness to skip school, to ensure he never contemplated it again.

*From the gaelic meaning castor oil

statsman

Rte as it stands is the dying remanent of the inglorious past of FF/Lab coalitions, with the emphasis being mostly on FF.

Yes, Sean O'Rourke, I'm talking about you, and Tubs, and Miriam, and, and, and.

Some of us are old enough to remember 7 Days.

Socratus O' Pericles

You weren't a fan of Con Houlihan? The "Irish Dickens"

https://www.irishlifeandlore.com/product/con-houlihan-2/

Mitsui2

Scheveningen?

Scheveningen is actually the little else that we do speak of. After all, its rustic charms - rustic and charming though they certainly are - can hardly compare with the dark, exotic delights of a cosmopolitan cultural powerhouse such as Toorenasligane!

Mitsui2

You weren't a fan of Con Houlihan? The "Irish Dickens"
I was actually the token non-Con fan in my community. Everyone thought so highly of him that I decided that, for the sake of journalistic balance, there should be a Devil's Advocate.

Man or Mouse

The hat is bad enough, but a pink shirt? Do they have lads like that in Kerry?
That, by the way, is a cap, not a hat. Might be better known up your way, or in that general direction, as a ceap. :D

New Threads

Most Replies