The assassination of Martin Luther King 50 years on.

raetsel

Martin Luther King was murdered 50 years ago today.

However his legacy lives on and even if there is still a mountain of social injustice issues in the USA today that remain unresolved, the transformation in terms of opportunities for black people, since King's death has been astonishing.

Who back then would have dared predict that a black couple would occupy the White House as POTUS and First Lady? Even more improbably, Barack Obama's candidacy was endorsed by the likes John Patterson, who, 50 years before, in 1958 with KKK support, defeated the then relatively moderate George Wallace in the Alabama gubernatorial race. Wallace afterwards rationalised his subsequent transformation into an uncompromising bigot by explaining, "You know, I tried to talk about good roads and good schools and all these things that have been part of my career, and nobody listened. And then I began talking about ni88ers, and they stomped the floor."

I'm not entirely sure what the lesson from that the history of the USA from then to now is other than that politicians will say whatever it takes to get elected. We see that all the time in Ireland and shouldn't be remotely surprised. So, if people want to change things, then it has to come from them. Politicians rarely lead from the front.

NativeWildCat

He must be really ashamed of BLM undermining his underlying message. They really are a disgrace to his legacy.

LookWhoItIs

However his legacy lives on and even if there is still a mountain of social injustice issues in the USA today that remain unresolved, the transformation in terms of opportunities for black people, since King's death has been astonishing.

Who back then would have dared predict that a black couple would occupy the White House as POTUS and First Lady? Even more improbably, Barack Obama's candidacy was endorsed by the likes John Patterson, who, 50 years before, in 1958 with KKK support, defeated the then relatively moderate George Wallace in the Alabama gubernatorial race. Wallace afterwards rationalised his subsequent transformation into an uncompromising bigot by explaining, "You know, I tried to talk about good roads and good schools and all these things that have been part of my career, and nobody listened. And then I began talking about ni88ers, and they stomped the floor."

I'm not entirely sure what the lesson from that the history of the USA from then to now is other than that politicians will say whatever it takes to get elected. We see that all the time in Ireland and shouldn't be remotely surprised. So, if people want to change things, then it has to come from them. Politicians rarely lead from the front.
Better known as the Southern Strategy

edwin

I don't see how, they use all the same tactics as he did.
I disagree. MLK was very careful not to be racially divisive and tended to use logic rather than emotion. He was an outstanding leader. Nobody in BLM appears fit to lace his boots.

PC Principle

MLK - was a remarkable man, one of the greats may he rest in peace.

Your OP however, is a load of race baiting ignorant sh1te, a poor attempt at victim peddling manure.

Banjo Baker

Who back then would have dared predict that a black couple would occupy the White House as POTUS and First Lady? Even more improbably, Barack Obama's candidacy was endorsed by the likes John Patterson, who, 50 years before, in 1958 with KKK support, defeated the then relatively moderate George Wallace in the Alabama gubernatorial race. Wallace afterwards rationalised his subsequent transformation into an uncompromising bigot by explaining, [I]"You know, I tried to talk about good roads and good schools and all these things that have been part of my career, and nobody listened. And then I began talking about ni88ers, and they stomped the floor."[/I]

Lol. :lol::lol:

NativeWildCat

I don't see how, they use all the same tactics as he did.
No. One was a group that called for unity between the races while the other is a hateful racially divisive group.

raetsel

MLK - was a remarkable man, one of the greats may he rest in peace.

Your OP however, is a load of race baiting ignorant sh1te, a poor attempt at victim peddling manure.
Oh, Gawd you're such a boring tit. Ad hominem attacks on other posters from you are so predictable at this stage. You have no intelligent arguments - just knee-jerk, pent-up anger and hatred.
I don't waste time on angry nutters, so I won't be reading any more of your shyte. Onto Ignore with you. :p

raetsel

And........voila! Zap! He has disappeared from my life forever. :)

Today, 12:50 PM
PC Principle
Politics.ie Member

This message is hidden because PC Principle is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

Jack Walsh

Oh, Gawd you're such a boring tit. Ad hominem attacks on other posters from you are so predictable at this stage. You have no intelligent arguments - just knee-jerk, pent-up anger and hatred.
I don't waste time on angry nutters, so I won't be reading any more of your shyte. Onto Ignore with you. :p
Don't mess with him, he's a trained Navy Seal, 10th Dan Jujitsu, multi millionaire and international playboy.
He could destroy you with a touch of his index finger from his pool in his Vegas mansion

raetsel

Don't mess with him, he's a trained Navy Seal, 10th Dan Jujitsu, multi millionaire and international playboy.
He could destroy you with a touch of his index finger from his pool in his Vegas mansion
I know the type. America is full of Irish people like him. The irony is you meet his type all the time in the bars over there, blowing about how great it is, while in reality they are gratuity-monkeys double-jobbing for a crap wages, and periodically shouting abuse at departing customers who haven't tipped them generously enough. :lol:

Popular Threads

Most Replies