The Aviva's first rugby international: Ireland vs South Africa

Sync

Normally I go to the matches but circumstances didn't allow it today. Couple of interesting things:

1. We played our full national anthem. I've normally had drinks before attending, but I thought we only played the Presidents salute and Ireland's call these days?

2. Good christ these jerseys are a mistake. Utterly useless, the v-neck goes down waaaaay too far. So they're all going to get ripped to shreds, as well as making the players look like members of Take That circa 1993. Front row ordered to change theirs already.

3. Nice first try by SA, terrible pass to set Smit up though.

4. Steyn's the best player in the world right now.

redneck

First international Rugby match, not Soccer or GAA.

Sync

Barnacle

I have to agree with that last remark by the commentator. "Its just seems to be one of those days!"

d7bohs

A relief to have the Rugby hordes back on the Southside anyway, and far away from me.

julieandrews

For games played in ROI, the national anthem plus Ireland Call are played

Those jerseys certainly LOOK better, but functionality is another thing :S

stoichkov

it's far from full. loads of empty seats visible.

the irfu are paying for their greedy ticket sales policy.

Sync

For games played in ROI, the national anthem plus Ireland Call are played

Those jerseys certainly LOOK better, but functionality is another thing :S
Disagree on the look, but as long as they work I don't care. We're on to 6 players who have had to change already, and Wallace's is ripped on the side. Unbelievable that they passed the design phase, even worse that they passed the test phase. We were saying during the anthems this would happen.

How is a player who doesn't get to kick for his ****** club get to kick for his country?

stoichkov

a friend of mine is a rugger-bugger and he told me yesterday that a number of the clubs had handed back their allocations in protest at the ticketing system.

essentially you're asking people to pay €100 to watch a friendly. i know the rugby brigade are generally a fair bit more affluent than the rest of us but even they have their limits.

Sync

a friend of mine is a rugger-bugger and he told me yesterday that a number of the clubs had handed back their allocations in protest at the ticketing system.
They did indeed

it's far from full. loads of empty seats visible.

the irfu are paying for their greedy ticket sales policy.
It's about 80% full from the looks of it. For a game against the World champions, that's pretty shocking. I wouldn't blame the IRFU so much for the tickets, they're having the same pressure put on them by the stadium money men as the FAI are. The financing for the stadium is shagged so they're trying to gouge the customer.

stoichkov

and also, the aviva is not a particularly big stadium. its capacity is well below all the other big rugby venues in europe.

we're probably looking at an attendance of maybe 38,000-41,000 tonight.

Sync

Steyn misses! STEYN MISSES! The run ends, but he's still the record holder with 39 straight goal kicks.

sport02

Does Rory Best have an identity problem, any outsider would think he was south African.
Get the man of the pitch, he is useless.
He can not throw the ball straght.

New Threads

Most Replies