The Aviva's first rugby international: Ireland vs South Africa

former wesleyan

we only started to play when Sexton and Redden were with drawn my god the dublin sports media will not be pleased with Kidney for that, G Hook esquire will be having kittens in the sindo tomorrow
We defended well and were only behind by an intercept pass. We don't play together enough to have the ball handling skills that are demanded by this attempt to beat the Southern Hemisphere teams at their own game. When is someone going to have the gumption to say "this is our turf; this is how WE play."

Baddaddy

I have to say that I thought we were poor, not awful but poor. We conceded alot of ball due to lack of concentration, or ability, or perhaps both.

There appears to be something missing, can't but my finger on it but we have good players but we are lacking in the front 3 at the moment, Heaslip is world class, but seemed off today.

Our intensity isn't there, we tackle and never seem likely to regain the ball at the breakdown, O Connell is missed.

I feel that players are simply playing to much rugby at the moment, Magners, Heineken, Autumns, Six Nations, all before the World Cup.

On the point of the attendance, I'm glad it happened as the IRFU might wake up a bit, they should sell the seats at a reasonable price from here on in, for one I can't afford €100, €50 might drag me out.

stalins granny

the main problem was that kidney cant let go of his munster roots, buckley,mick odriscoll and paul wallace shouldnt have been on the pitch they contributed nothing.

Yosser

the main problem was that kidney cant let go of his munster roots, buckley,mick odriscoll and paul wallace shouldnt have been on the pitch they contributed nothing.
Paul Wallace? he's retired.I agree though Micko is not good enough.Buckley is too hot and cold. Not sure it has anything to do with provincial bias. I really would like to know why Bob Casey has been consistently ignored. Cullen should have been playing but maybe he is not 100 percent yet?
Stringer makes all the difference with his speed of pass but our problems were in the front five. We couldn't get any possession.
Awful match.

jacko

attendance figure was 35,000

80,000 for the same match at Croke Park last November

dónal na geallaí

Wow,big difference - maybe the recession is hurting the punters.My niece was at Croker for this fixture last year,complete with her South African boyfriend.They were blown away by the atmosphere.Maybe people will take a while to 'bed in ' the Aviva?

Sync

Horrendous. The pricing was just too much. The Croke Park pricing was fine, this is down to the Aviva owners piling on pressure on the FAI and IRFU because they completely botched the sums on corporate seating. Ridiculous stuff

Empty feeling not lost on O'Gara - The Irish Times - Sun, Nov 07, 2010

Ronan O’Gara has urged Ireland fans to defy the bleak economic climate and come out and support the team during the autumn internationals. Swathes of empty seats greeted the homecoming to the Aviva Stadium with only 35,515 tickets sold for yesterday’s 23-21 defeat by South Africa, over 16,000 short of the 51,700 capacity.

Tomas Mor

Heard a former international player say to day that he saw two guys looking for late match tickets for match yesterday at stadium. They were refused unless they also bought tickets for Samoa game. Both told them to stuff it, they would watch it in a pub. Something very wrong here when people were refused last minute tickets to a half empty stadium !

The Field Marshal

Heard a former international player say to day that he saw two guys looking for late match tickets for match yesterday at stadium. They were refused unless they also bought tickets for Samoa game. Both told them to stuff it, they would watch it in a pub. Something very wrong here when people were refused last minute tickets to a half empty stadium !
Watched the match on TV.
Very good coverage.
Average game and why werent O,Gara & Stringer brought on sooner.?

Seems to me with the right manager Ireland could have won that game.

Im wondering were the usual screaming/deafening half witted DJs roaring their banal inanities over the bloated PA system in Aviva stadium which has already caused hearing damage to some supporters?

Cael

Normally I go to the matches but circumstances didn't allow it today. Couple of interesting things:

1. We played our full national anthem. I've normally had drinks before attending, but I thought we only played the Presidents salute and Ireland's call these days?

2. Good christ these jerseys are a mistake. Utterly useless, the v-neck goes down waaaaay too far. So they're all going to get ripped to shreds, as well as making the players look like members of Take That circa 1993. Front row ordered to change theirs already.

3. Nice first try by SA, terrible pass to set Smit up though.

4. Steyn's the best player in the world right now.
There must be something useful about having all those west brits in the same place at one time...

stalins granny

Paul Wallace? he's retired.I agree though Micko is not good enough.Buckley is too hot and cold. Not sure it has anything to do with provincial bias. I really would like to know why Bob Casey has been consistently ignored. Cullen should have been playing but maybe he is not 100 percent yet?
Stringer makes all the difference with his speed of pass but our problems were in the front five. We couldn't get any possession.
Awful match.
sorry meant david wrong wallace, casey seems to have burnt his bridges we need mike ross ,cullen and o brien to start in order to get parity in the scrums and dynamism in the loose.

owedtojoy

If Stringer and O'Gara had been on 10 or 20 minutes sooner, we might have pulled off a victory.

Tell Cian Healy to smarten up his discipline, or he will lose his place permanently.

Fitzgerald, Ferris and Heaslip the best of the Irish.

Schomberg

Jonathan Sexton....now, with the risk of having every Lenisterman ontop on me here, this guy just doesn't cut the mustard for me. The second O'Gara and Stringer came on the whole thing just lit up...Sexton can run with the ball but unlike O'Gara he doesn't seem to be able to create chances. Not to mention half the kicks I seen him make for Ireland he's missed.

Wales did well enough I think, England played very well against NZ. I'd expected them to get hammered from the get-go.

next couple of games should be good ones!

eyeSpy

first half jerseys were centenary vintage things so didn't undergo the same testing the normal ones do.
we always play the two anthems at home.
it's a mistake in my view, it's too long of a delay for the players.
November fixtures are almost always dissappointing.
SA were average, NZ were average, Ireland were poor.

stalins granny

Jonathan Sexton....now, with the risk of having every Lenisterman ontop on me here, this guy just doesn't cut the mustard for me. The second O'Gara and Stringer came on the whole thing just lit up...Sexton can run with the ball but unlike O'Gara he doesn't seem to be able to create chances. Not to mention half the kicks I seen him make for Ireland he's missed.

Wales did well enough I think, England played very well against NZ. I'd expected them to get hammered from the get-go.

next couple of games should be good ones!
the difference wasnt between o gara and sexton but stringer and reddan also that useless pile of ************************e buckley had been replaced by a prop who can actually scrumage at that stage so our pack wasnt going backwards at the same rate of knots.

Schomberg

we always play the two anthems at home.
it's a mistake in my view, it's too long of a delay for the players.
It's a mistake because it's not a RoI team. Play both anthems or none at all. My vote is for none.

owedtojoy

It's a mistake because it's not a RoI team. Play both anthems or none at all. My vote is for none.
Why is that the anthems only come up when we lose?

The year we won the Grand Slam no one would have given a fkuc if they played Three Blind Mice.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies