The Aviva's first rugby international: Ireland vs South Africa

What the Fug

At least Redden picked up an assist for the first try...

Shockingly once we bring on the best kicker in the country's history, he kicks a fantastic ball for Bowe to score.

SO WHY IS HE NOT STARTING???

What the fug is an assist , God spare me from imported American language

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
According to Gerry Thornley in the IT there was only 35,517 at the match. Seen more at Dublin's opening 1st round Leinster championship match in my time.

former wesleyan

No point messing around with the scrum unless they scrummage as a unit - an eight man unit.
What's wrong with Damien Varley ? Is he not Irish ? Seemed to play well enough against Toulon.

eyeSpy

they should circulate 10,000 tickets to schools for the remaining matches.
5 euro a pop.
it's not fair on people who have paid full whack but it's for the greater good.
better than empty seats.

stalins granny

No point messing around with the scrum unless they scrummage as a unit - an eight man unit.
What's wrong with Damien Varley ? Is he not Irish ? Seemed to play well enough against Toulon.
Varley is at best ok he isnt a strong enough scrummager or dynamic enough a ball carrier to make the international squad, if a scrummager is required Ross is the man

eyeSpy

Buckley has another 9 months to improve his technique.
I think he is our best shot at creating a potent weapon and reasonable prop.
He will also carry more ball in time.
Him punching his way through and upsetting a defensive ruck is a sight to behold.

meriwether

Buckley has another 9 months to improve his technique.
I think he is our best shot at creating a potent weapon and reasonable prop.
He will also carry more ball in time.
Him punching his way through and upsetting a defensive ruck is a sight to behold.
He's 30.

He still needs to improve?

What's he spent the last 12 years doing?

eyeSpy

Croke Park added a certain something to the ticket, a great sense of occassion.
I wonder what analysis was done on the trade-off between a smaller capacity and Croke Park with respect to the ticket price?
They got it badly wrong for the Autumn anyway whatever it was.
They seemed to over estimate the supply constraint and the demand never materialised at the price.

Aside: NZ remain cheating bast3rds. Every chance they get, they cheat. Always have.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Only someone who doesn't know RSA or looks at black skinned faces and thinks their all from the same ethnicity would think that.
What are you talking about.. the rugby team actually is more ethnically diverse.. and I know RSA.. lived there, did you ?

eyeSpy

He's 30.

mainly eating. he's a relative new-comer at higher levels.
he would have been identified and focused on from few years ago when the lack of Irish propery was alarming.
I know for a fact that Kidney made approaches to a current provincial backrow and said he could turn him into a prop for WC 2011.
that's how bad the prop situation looked at the time.
Buckley has at least 4 years and two WC in him.
he's already a very handy prop but can improve further with more and more experience in the thick of it. And he's a one man ruck.
But we need 4 good props anyway.

stalins granny

He's 30.

precisely if he hasnt been bothered to work on his technique up to now hes not gpoing to start now, thats my problem with him hes lazy, i played prop and hooker for over 15 years and when i started i was big but clueless, if you apply yourself you can acquire the requisite skills, buckley just hasnt bothered.

eyeSpy

precisely if he hasnt been bothered to work on his technique up to now hes not gpoing to start now, thats my problem with him hes lazy, i played prop and hooker for over 15 years and when i started i was big but clueless, if you apply yourself you can acquire the requisite skills, buckley just hasnt bothered.
that's harsh. of course he's bothered, he's a pro. you can't get away with not bothering and still be paid or still be picked, for province or country. especially up front. especially.
don't confuse laid back for lazy.

meriwether

that's harsh. of course he's bothered, he's a pro. you can't get away with not bothering and still be paid or still be picked, for province or country. especially up front. especially.
don't confuse laid back for lazy.

I think he's got problems with his energy, or tiredness.

But he's never going to make it.

The rugby team is in big decline, and thats the end of it.

O'Connell seems to be banjaxed as well.

When you see Mick O'Driscoll playing, things are bad.

dingbat

I wonder what analysis was done on the trade-off between a smaller capacity and Croke Park with respect to the ticket price?
They got it badly wrong for the Autumn anyway whatever it was.
They seemed to over estimate the supply constraint and the demand never materialised at the price.
It's a little more than that, I think. People are still spending €100 on stuff, including event tickets, and it was possible to get tickets for half that on Saturday but they weren't being bought. The original decision to bundle four tickets into single package was their problem, as it shifted the comparison drastically.

The IRFU blazers didn’t take Economics… | Dodder News – Columns and Commentary

Previously, the match ticket had been part of a larger day out. Perhaps €80 for the ticket itself plus about €100 for pints, a bit of food and the necessary transport over the day. Money well spent, and sure wouldn’t you spend €100 on a night out anyway. And the same would be done a couple of weekends later, with mind and wallet perfectly willing to suspend disbelief and never add it all up.

After the IRFU’s ticketing masterplan, suddenly their target customer was looking at a sum of nigh-on-€400, adding at least another €250 (allowing for a less hectic pace at the Samoa match and a Sunday Argentina game) to that already large sum.

That’s a lot of money. To one person, it’s the bones of a ski holiday; to another it’s their car insurance; to a third it’s half of their kid’s school fees for the year. And that’s for a person going alone, never mind one who would intend to bring friends or family.

As the match tickets paled in comparison, Joe Punter for the first time contemplated the simple notion of not watching the match from a stadium seat, considering instead the sofa or the high stool. Once that notion was explored, even for a moment, simply dropping the price closer to the old levels wasn’t going to do the trick.

Complementary goods, Economics 101. The IRFU took a mostly inelastic product called “going to the match” – previously compared to a decent meal out or a music concert – and moved it into another bracket entirely, filled with very expensive things against which tickets couldn’t possibly compete.

Once they’d done that, breaking the tickets into two batches made no difference. The spell was broken; tickets were now luxury items, not the essentials which they were once deemed to be. That, more than anything else, destroyed their demand and resulted in the alienation, even for a brief time, of their fanbase.

A national mindset has been changed. The Irish rugby chiefs could have a long way to go to turn this around.

Last edited:

former wesleyan

Man of the match against Toulon. Like a lot of the Irish team he's psyched out of it at international level.

deiseguy

Which is exactly why he ended up going off injured. Did anyone notice the SA hooker line Buckley up before he stamped on him. Buckley had just come straight through a SA ruck and cleaned the hooker yer man saw his opportunity for instant revenge and bang. It's annoying that there was not even a mention of a citing for it. I know the Irish back-row once they got a bit of direction after the 65th minute were raking any SA player loitering on the Irish side of a ruck but to me a raking is totally different to a stamp.

eyeSpy

Which is exactly why he ended up going off injured. Did anyone notice the SA hooker line Buckley up before he stamped on him. Buckley had just come straight through a SA ruck and cleaned the hooker yer man saw his opportunity for instant revenge and bang. It's annoying that there was not even a mention of a citing for it. I know the Irish back-row once they got a bit of direction after the 65th minute were raking any SA player loitering on the Irish side of a ruck but to me a raking is totally different to a stamp.
I agree.

There's not enough raking at the moment.
Richie McKaw et al have made a career offside or on the edge.
Rake the back off them if they don't move away.

eyeSpy

He's a big lad to carry around alright so might be more suited to impact playing rather than the full 80.

I heard, must have been 6 months ago, that PoC's career was over.
Didn't believe it at the time but I'm starting to believe it.
Fingers crossed for him.

New Threads

Most Replies