• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

An Chuileog

Róisín Ingle went off half-cocked recently in her article published in the Irish Times with the screaming headline ‘I’m menstruating as I write this. And I’m mad as all bloody hell’. What was the cause of her madness? The decision by the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland (ASAI) to request the removal of a TV commercial demonstrating to women how to use tampons correctly. Róisín is a feminist and blames the withdrawal of the advert on the ‘controlling tricks played by the patriarchy’ to make women mortified of their menstruation periods. When we examine the truth behind the controversy there is no doubt that the bias evident in the article is the exemplar of the problems facing rational discourse in present-day Ireland.

A small piece of information is kept from the view of readers, which if included, might drop a big hint that patriarchy is not to blame. The vast majority of the 84 complaints received by the ASAI about the ad, were from women. Some complained that the ad made out that women were too stupid to read the instructions on the packet. Róisín then bolsters this claim, writing that when she was 14 years old, she did not read or could not follow the instructions on a packet of tampons, and argues that TV ads are needed to instruct women and girls on how to use them.

Read the full story here Irish feminists get mad and go off half cocked at tampon ad ban.

cozzy121

In a time where everyone has access to the internet, there is something very wrong with someone who thinks a TV ad to demonstrate how to use a tampon is necessary or a good idea
Do you know how to use a Tampon?

Hewson

Róisín Ingle went off half-cocked recently in her article published in the Irish Times with the screaming headline ‘I’m menstruating as I write this. And I’m mad as all bloody hell’. What was the cause of her madness? The decision by the Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland (ASAI) to request the removal of a TV commercial demonstrating to women how to use tampons correctly. Róisín is a feminist and blames the withdrawal of the advert on the ‘controlling tricks played by the patriarchy’ to make women mortified of their menstruation periods. When we examine the truth behind the controversy there is no doubt that the bias evident in the article is the exemplar of the problems facing rational discourse in present-day Ireland.

A small piece of information is kept from the view of readers, which if included, might drop a big hint that patriarchy is not to blame. The vast majority of the 84 complaints received by the ASAI about the ad, were from women. Some complained that the ad made out that women were too stupid to read the instructions on the packet. Róisín then bolsters this claim, writing that when she was 14 years old, she did not read or could not follow the instructions on a packet of tampons, and argues that TV ads are needed to instruct women and girls on how to use them.

Read the full story here Irish feminists get mad and go off half cocked at tampon ad ban.

The Times continues its descent into the pit of irrelevance and idiocy.

Ireniall

I would have fully expected the objectors to the instructive and humorous ad to have been mostly female before you confirm it there. It's always the oul biddies who are into that outraged stuff

The OD

I believe the concept is sound, the execution was terrible? Not having seen it that's what I got from the discussions around it?

The days when a TV ad was informative seems to be long gone, having said that, I am not sure banning it on the basis of it being condescending or irritating should be enough? Anyone got a link to it?

Personally though, I really wouldn't be bothered about ads for this sort of thing, a natural bodily function experienced by billions every month.

CatullusV

In a time where everyone has access to the internet, there is something very wrong with someone who thinks a TV ad to demonstrate how to use a tampon is necessary or a good idea
Not everyone has access to the internet.

Cailleach

Do you know how to use a Tampon?
Yes - been there, done that, some time ago ... Way back then, had no difficulty with reading - and understanding! - the accompanying leaflet.

Wasn't doing a PhD at the time, hadn't been invited to join Mensa ...

Hewson

I believe the concept is sound, the execution was terrible? Not having seen it that's what I got from the discussions around it?

The days when a TV ad was informative seems to be long gone, having said that, I am not sure banning it on the basis of it being condescending or irritating should be enough? Anyone got a link to it?

Personally though, I really wouldn't be bothered about ads for this sort of thing, a natural bodily function experienced by billions every month.

It's not quite that simple. For example, instead of an advert with Labrador puppies playing with toilet rolls would you be okay with a short explanatory video showing a man/woman defecating, followed by detailed instructions on how to fold the Bronco and use it to clean yourself? You know, just in case you didn't pick up the nuances of this kind of secret over the span of your years . . .

Any time that Tampax ad came on the remote control was grabbed. The entire concept — with the idiot audience similar to the worst of American TV ads, and the two idiots on the sofa about to discuss in detail something that most normal, well-adjusted women rightly see as a private matter — was an insult to the intelligence of everyone, male or female.

Finally, the rant in the Irish Times is just what I've come to expect of it; infantile indignation based on faux outrage over something that most people couldn't give a toss about.

The OD

It's not quite that simple. For example, instead of an advert with Labrador puppies playing with toilet rolls would you be okay with a short explanatory video showing a man/woman defecating, followed by detailed instructions on how to fold the Bronco and use it to clean yourself? You know, just in case you didn't pick up the nuances of this kind of secret over the span of your years . . .

Any time that Tampax ad came on the remote control was grabbed. The entire concept — with the idiot audience similar to the worst of American TV ads, and the two idiots on the sofa about to discuss in detail something that most normal, well-adjusted women rightly see as a private matter — was an insult to the intelligence of everyone, male or female.

Finally, the rant in the Irish Times is just what I've come to expect of it; infantile indignation based on faux outrage over something that most people couldn't give a toss about.
OK, yeah, that sounds.....off putting. To say the least. I'll take your word for it!

silverharp

Whats the circulation figures with the IT these days, tic tock

Emily Davison

I've never come across a female of period having age that didn't have an iPhone.
Oddly enough back in that far distant land of my childhood Tampax existed. It had an instruction manual inside with pictures and everything. There were no mobile phone, no iPhones no internet. And most certainly no ads on television. I don't need to see ads for tampax on television when I'm watching a movie with my family. Do girls not speak to their mothers in this generation who I thouht unlike ours who hadn't a clue about anything and certainly didn't speak about it managed to work out the complications of Tampax.

Fun fact for everybody. In my boarding school girls toilets some thought it was hilarioius to throw the tampon to see if it would stick to the ceiling. And I can assure everyone they did. I never asked anyone how to use one. I figured it out. You'd swear it was bloody complicated.

By the way, could someone tell me where girls are watching these ads on television because no teenagers of any sex watch TV anymore, and if they do it's for family movie time. And don't all girls and boys nowadays not have proper sex education classes to explain how complex a Tampax is to use.

enuffisenuff

Women just need to put up with doing it incorrectly.......meanwhile lets turn over to Naked Attraction

silverharp

By the way, could someone tell me where girls are watching these ads on television because no teenagers of any sex watch TV anymore, and if they do it's for family movie time. And don't all girls and boys nowadays not have proper sex education classes to explain how complex a Tampax is to use.
my kids wouldnt know what an RTE is, they watch exactly zero live TV, thats old people media

Ireniall

Apparently some of the younger women have trouble inserting it correctly-which I would feel is not a huge surprise but not something that i can confirm from experience. So the actress mentions this and quips-'you gotta get it up there girls'. A really good ad puts a smile on your face and this ad normalises the whole bloody business as well. Ah womens stuff-not my strong point really.

edg

I'm a man and I know how to use a tampon because I read the instructions in my mums pack when I was younger. Very clear and left me in no doubt how to use them.

I read that some of the instructions given on the TV ad includes "get it up ya girls".

I'm not surprised the vast majority of complaints came from women. I suggest the "feminist" reporter should maybe listen to women.

edg

my kids wouldnt know what an RTE is, they watch exactly zero live TV, thats old people media
Mine too! Netflix, Prime, YouTube, Disney Channel and Now TV is more their thing. Cant image sitting down with my children for a bit of RTE :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom