• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

"The Battle of Horn Reef" ?

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
I'm reading the letters page of today's (London) Times. There is the usual box, "On this day", dated June 20, 1916:

His Majesty with the fighting ships

His Majesty left London on Tuesday last, attended by Capt Godfrey Faussett, RN, and Lieut Col Clive Wigram, and in the four days he spent on his tour of inspection he visited the two main naval bases and saw for himself all the ships that took part in the Battle of Horn Reef.
I'm assuming this is another name for what most accounts call Jutland.

I see in Beatty's Report:

At 2.20 p.m. reports were received from Galatea, the light cruiser stationed on the eastward flanks, indicating the presence of enemy vessels. The direction of advance was immediately altered to S. S. E., the course for Horn Reef, so as to place my force between the enemy and his base. At 2.35 p.m, a considerable amount of smoke was sighted to the eastward. This made it clear that the enemy was to the northward and eastward and that it would be impossible for him to round the Horn Reef without being brought to action. Course was accordingly altered to eastward and northeastward, the enemy being sighted at 3.31 p.m. They appeared to be five battle cruisers.
I've had a swift nostril round, and am less than certain I understand to what the term refers, why it was current in 1916, and why the name changed. And whether I should be concerned.

Any guidance?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies