The bees

raspberry tea

Even wasps help as pollinators. This tine of year they really are not a problem and if you can stay calm you shouldn't need to kill them... I grow my own food in Kerry, in an organic garden. Plenty of wild flowers for caterpillars and larvae of all species. This year - and I am at it for 20 years, despite mild weather and plenty sunshine, I have not seen a single honeybee. Bumblebees and a few wasp queens excepted. My orchard used to be abuzz with life. Not anymore. I would say that we are in trouble indeed.
I was told by many in the beekeeping community - it is a bad time to get into beekeeping...I didn't mind as im here to help the bee,im not even that interested in the honey..Climate change,people using monsanto with reckless abandon,i seen a guy on the side of the road doing public landscaping,one of those job-bridge guys working for the council doing the ''gardening'' he was spraying monsanto from a backpack and wearing a mask - all government backed of course.
When i look at people like the ''Green party'' remember John Gormley(who was FOR the dublin incinerator),he was a massive hypocrite and signed off on a lot of things that ended up being detrimental to the enviornment and his credibility,also Alan kelly who let the PoolBeg incinerator go ahead,these c*nts need to dragged out by the ears on their ear and fast,we need to learn these people are only in it for career advancement and they are not about bettering the community we live in,and the enviornment that keeps us alive....

D

Deleted member 45466

@Rasp:

How much environmental damage will the incinerator cause?

onetimeonly

I was told by many in the beekeeping community - it is a bad time to get into beekeeping...I didn't mind as im here to help the bee,im not even that interested in the honey..Climate change,people using monsanto with reckless abandon,i seen a guy on the side of the road doing public landscaping,one of those job-bridge guys working for the council doing the ''gardening'' he was spraying monsanto from a backpack and wearing a mask - all government backed of course.
When i look at people like the ''Green party'' remember John Gormley(who was FOR the dublin incinerator),he was a massive hypocrite and signed off on a lot of things that ended up being detrimental to the enviornment and his credibility,also Alan kelly who let the PoolBeg incinerator go ahead,these c*nts need to dragged out by the ears on their ear and fast,we need to learn these people are only in it for career advancement and they are not about bettering the community we live in,and the enviornment that keeps us alive....
Is there any chance that the fella with the backpack and facemask was treating Japanese Knotweed? It takes a lot of work and chemicals to kill off that stuff.

raspberry tea

@Rasp:

How much environmental damage will the incinerator cause?

People will be breathing in that air,i am no expert and i cannot measure the damage,but there is a site beside that poolbeg incinerator that will eventually be turned into social housing,i see plenty of tears from this,as there will be court cases against the state for liability..The problem is that the government pigs had let this contract go ahead and if they try to get out of it now,they will end up having to pay the company in charge of poolbeg incinerator even more money,so that is why they are so determined to let it stay,regardless of people's public health - and it is very much a public health issue...Not just that it is damaging to our natural enviornment too...Here is a good site to look up,its a list of all the things that convanta the company in charge of poolbeg have gotten up to before they set their sights on dublin.... Covanta Watch - A shocking read! Covanta Violations; http://www.covantawatch.org/p/violations-over-years.html?zx=743132fc306bb6b9

Last edited:

raspberry tea

Is there any chance that the fella with the backpack and facemask was treating Japanese Knotweed? It takes a lot of work and chemicals to kill off that stuff.
Organic alternatives should be used,instead of monstanto bee killer spray,if that is the case,are you just trying to pick a fight?fall out of the wrong side of the bed this morning or is dole day at the end of the week or something?

SPN

I was talking to a bee keeper during the week and only 10 of his 25 hives survived the winter.

D

Deleted member 45466

People will be breathing in that air,i am no expert and i cannot measure the damage,but there is a site beside that poolbeg incinerator that will eventually be turned into social housing,i see plenty of tears from this,as there will be court cases against the state for liability..The problem is that the government pigs had let this contract go ahead and if they try to get out of it now,they will end up having to pay the company in charge of poolbeg incinerator even more money,so that is why they are so determined to let it stay,regardless of people's public health - and it is very much a public health issue...Not just that it is damanging to our natural enviornment too...Here is a good site to look up,its a list of all the things that convanta the company in charge of poolbeg have gotten up to before they set their sights on dublin.... Covanta Watch - A shocking read!
Fair enough, but I thought the incinerator would have to meet EPA criteria on emissions etc. etc.

EUrJokingMeRight

Haven't seen a single one so far this year despite glorious weather, despite having a garden with flowering rhodos and foxglove and other plants attractive to them. Are they dying off?

Butterflies too, a rare sight now - even the white. When i was a kid you would see them every day.

Ladybirds as well.
Have you tried logging off p.ie and then leaving the house? :p

Mitsui2

I remember reading an article a few years ago that claimed the extinction of mankind would quickly follow the extinction of bees. Australia already have to import them due to the shortage. Pretty grim really.(could that be the perfect P.ie post? :lol:)
Not quite - you didn't blame Muslims, immigrants or gays!

raspberry tea

Fair enough, but I thought the incinerator would have to meet EPA criteria on emissions etc. etc.
The Enviornmental Protection Agency granted them a license,and seem ''satisfied'' but these people are paid off,its all politics,lives don't count here,they are a toothless organisation and intend to stay that way,they are fattened pigs at the trough...They are no more an enviornmental protection agency than the man spraying monsanto in public green spaces...

Nemesiscorporation

Haven't seen a single one so far this year despite glorious weather, despite having a garden with flowering rhodos and foxglove and other plants attractive to them. Are they dying off?

Butterflies too, a rare sight now - even the white. When i was a kid you would see them every day.

Ladybirds as well.
Both myself and my parents are in garden quite often. between us we have saw one bee this year. We have rarely even saw a fly. Not a good sign.

onetimeonly

Organic alternatives should be used,instead of monstanto bee killer spray,if that is the case,are you just trying to pick a fight?fall out of the wrong side of the bed this morning or is dole day at the end of the week or something?
It was merely a question, the Knotweed problem is getting out of hand (very often spread unknowingly by council workers) but I've recently seen some work done to try to battle it. Your response is ridiculous.

raspberry tea

It was merely a question, the Knotweed problem is getting out of hand (very often spread unknowingly by council workers) but I've recently seen some work done to try to battle it. Your response is ridiculous.
Im not intersested in a fight (YAWWWN!!!!) - However i am interested in sticking to the topic - have a nice life! :)

D

Deleted member 45466

The Enviornmental Protection Agency granted them a license,and seem ''satisfied'' but these people are paid off,its all politics,lives don't count here,they are a toothless organisation and intend to stay that way,they are fattened pigs at the trough...They are no more an enviornmental protection agency than the man spraying monsanto in public green spaces...
I dunno about that. They're fairly demanding in my experience. In one manufacturing facility I worked in, scrubbed and volatile exhaust air was cleaner than the outside air intake.

I do agree with you about the use of pesticides, although creeping things build up immunity, so you'll never wipe them out. Just look at the war against the mossies. They win every time. They always win.

I wouldn't dismiss the use of pesticides as being responsible for the declining bee population, but it's been suggested that parasites are also responsible:

This Little-Known Parasite Is Killing America's Honeybees - The Atlantic

SPN

John Gormley was pretty much the only politician in that Constituency who was consistently opposed to the Incinerator, and did everything in his power to scupper it.

Less of the barefaced lies please.

If you know of an environmentally benign way of dealing with knotweed (let alone an "organic" method) then myself and my local Tidy Towns group would love to hear about it. The only half effective solution we've come across is injecting undiluted RoundUp into the stem.

raspberry tea

I dunno about that. They're fairly demanding in my experience. In one manufacturing facility I worked in, scrubbed and volatile exhaust air was cleaner than the outside air intake.

I do agree with you about the use of pesticides, although creeping things build up immunity, so you'll never wipe them out. Just look at the war against the mossies. They win every time. They always win.

I wouldn't dismiss the use of pesticides as being responsible for the declining bee population, but it's been suggested that parasites are also responsible:

This Little-Known Parasite Is Killing America's Honeybees - The Atlantic
Varroa mites too,they are a huge problem with Irish honey bees...People importing the buckfast bees,can bring their own problems,but most Irish beekeepers use the Native Irish Honeybee,so it isn't really a problem..I heard the otherday that the chinese hornet has made its way to the UK - oh the joys of globalism!

D

Deleted member 45466

- Come to think if it,i haven't seen a single fly about either,i wonder what the hell is going on???
There was a few of them in my kitchen about two weeks ago.

Last December we had this peculiar infestation* of midgets** in the kitchen. They sat in the same corner, barely moving. It may have been down to the unseasonal warmth during December.

*There was about 30, but my sister referred to it as a "massive infestation". [:roll:]

EDIT:

**The arthropod variety, and not the vertically challenged. Thought I'd clarify that for any thin skinners/PC types that stumble into the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

SPN

The chemicals weaken the bees immune systems, thus rendering them more susceptible to the parasites and other ailments.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies