The bees

raspberry tea

John Gormley was pretty much the only politician in that Constituency who was consistently opposed to the Incinerator, and did everything in his power to scupper it.

Less of the barefaced lies please.

If you know of an environmentally benign way of dealing with knotweed (let alone an "organic" method) then myself and my local Tidy Towns group would love to hear about it. The only half effective solution we've come across is injecting undiluted RoundUp into the stem.
Gormley wants to extend waste levy to incinerators -John Gormley had a habit of speaking out both sides of his mouth he hunted with the hares and the hounds,he was a duplicitious c*nt and im glad the irish public could see through him...Barefaced lies eh?Still swinging your axe eh???

Polly Ticks

Been tracking the decline of bee populations for almost a decade.. this thread is depressing :/

SPN

Gormley wants to extend waste levy to incinerators -John Gormley had a habit of speaking out both sides of his mouth he hunted with the hares and the hounds,he was a duplicitious c*nt and im glad the irish public could see through him...Barefaced lies eh?Still swinging your axe eh???
Maybe you don't understand simple english.

Here's the first line of that article: The economic viability of the State's planned incinerators has been put in doubt following Minister for the Environment John Gormley's statement that he favours a levy on all waste sent for incineration.

He made incineration economically unviable.

He busted their business plan.

But you haven't the wit to understand that.

ibis

The Enviornmental Protection Agency granted them a license,and seem ''satisfied'' but these people are paid off,its all politics,lives don't count here,they are a toothless organisation and intend to stay that way,they are fattened pigs at the trough...They are no more an enviornmental protection agency than the man spraying monsanto in public green spaces...
No, they're a pretty dedicated bunch who have to work within the laws, that's all. The proposed incinerator meets all the environmental standards - nobody needed to be paid off. And Gormley opposed it, as the Green Party opposes incineration as a waste disposal strategy - but, as Minister, he also had to work within the law. He did what he could to delay things and make them more difficult, but that only ended up adding to the cost.

ibis

Again, loads of flies and insects of all sorts buzzing around here in London - could it just be that the weather there has been pretty crap?
It could be - the couple of degrees of reliable extra warmth down south makes a difference.

raspberry tea

Maybe you don't understand simple english.

Here's the first line of that article: The economic viability of the State's planned incinerators has been put in doubt following Minister for the Environment John Gormley's statement that he favours a levy on all waste sent for incineration.

He made incineration economically unviable.

He busted their business plan.

But you haven't the wit to understand that.

You need to read between the lines here - he wanted to impose a levy and make money off burning rubbish - you have zero wit to understand that!!!!!

Rural

Been tracking the decline of bee populations for almost a decade.. this thread is depressing :/
To cheer you up!

[video=youtube;MlrsqGal64w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlrsqGal64w[/video]

Polly Ticks

Thanks Rural.. I'll take half a bee at this stage :D

One for the bees, from their favourite singer...

[video=youtube;MbXWrmQW-OE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbXWrmQW-OE[/video]

Eire1976

The Hornets are coming, Where is Richard Widmark when we need him?

SPN

You need to read between the lines here - he wanted to impose a levy and make money off burning rubbish - you have zero wit to understand that!!!!!
He imposed the levy to make them unviable.

That was the only tool available to him as Minister.

Phil Hogan reversed the policy.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/hogan-scraps-incineration-levy-1.879706

"A levy on incineration proposed by former minister for environment John Gormley has been scrapped.

The move by current Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan reverses the previous Government's opposition to incineration and is a major boost for the economic viability of Poolbeg incinerator in Dublin."

willow68

There was a few of them in my kitchen about two weeks ago.

Last December we had this peculiar infestation* of midgets** in the kitchen. They sat in the same corner, barely moving. It may have been down to the unseasonal warmth during December.

*There was about 30, but my sister referred to it as a "massive infestation". [:roll:]

EDIT:

**The arthropod variety, and not the vertically challenged. Thought I'd clarify that for any thin skinners/PC types that stumble into the thread.
If they were un your kitchen they were most likely drosophila melanogaster... Midges - culicoides impunctatus - tend to prefer outdoor haunts. Ruins summer for me the little b....

Felixness

I keep finding bumble bees in our house, it feels like every other day I'm using a pint glass and a sheet of paper to trap and release them.

Ellen Ripley

Have seen a fair share of bees this month since the fruit trees started to flower, butterflies--not so many.

Caterpillars like to lay their eggs on the underside of nettles, and there's not as much waste ground as there used to be to facilitate that.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Have seen a fair share of bees this month since the fruit trees started to flower, butterflies--not so many.

Caterpillars like to lay their eggs on the underside of nettles, and there's not as much waste ground as there used to be to facilitate that.
That explains then why down on Rot's estate its butterflies all round this year the nettles are up to the front door..:shock2: lol

Ellen Ripley

There was a few of them in my kitchen about two weeks ago.

Last December we had this peculiar infestation* of midgets** in the kitchen. They sat in the same corner, barely moving. It may have been down to the unseasonal warmth during December.

*There was about 30, but my sister referred to it as a "massive infestation". [:roll:]

EDIT:

**The arthropod variety, and not the vertically challenged. Thought I'd clarify that for any thin skinners/PC types that stumble into the thread.
Are you sure that they weren't fruit flies? Those B*ggers love sugar, and they come out when it's dark and suck up any spills on surfaces, and nestle in any fruit that's around.

"Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana"

Or you could always get a pet spider...

asset test

I really enjoy threads like this one.

Sorry, don't like wasps. But I read somewhere that putting out saucers of water and jam mixed at strategic locations far away from where you are sitting keeps them away. It does work, but the more sugar/jam the better. They seem to get drunk on it, and fall into the mix dead pished. Sorry, it's hilarious to watch. I must have an awful streak in me.

As for the "Bumblers" as we used to call them as kids, no bother, all they want to do is drink the pollen from the flowering stuff around the place, and we know now that is really all they want to do now and they leave us alone.

Our garden is a typical suburban one. Lawn, flowers, a veg patch (hit and miss there), and a patch behind a little fence that I threw a packet of meadow wild flower seeds in years ago. They come back every year, and it is alive with "things".

To keep the weeds down I use a wire brush thing on a long handle for between the bricks, followed sharpish by a bucket of hot water into which lots of salt and vinegar and washing up liquid has been added. Seems to work ok, but there are a few fekkin stragglers. Now I know there is nothing wrong with weeds, but we are talking town garden here, not a couple of acres of wildflowers.

Have seen a few Bumblers already, but no ordinary size bees if you get me. No butterflies yet, but plenty of earwigs under the pots.

Anyway, keep me posted.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies