The benchmarking brigade are back, fumbling in the greasy till once more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EUrJokingMeRight

State employees, of various hues, civil, public and semi-state are clamouring for benchmarking 2.0

In their fervent pursuit of even more free lunches their idiotic mental incapacity imagine HUGE exchequer excesses being shielded from their greasy paws by the government et al.

They threaten social cohesion with a 'they haven't gone away you know' kind of malevolent menace.

The bottom line is that the poor pay first and benefit last, the benchmarkers benefit first and pay last.

But they would prefer your sympathy.

Benchmarking 1.0 foreshadowed a grave global financial crisis. So in effect one mega payrise translated to 2 mega payrises as prices of commodities and living costs plummeted in the wake of a global liquidity crisis whilst benchmarkers suddenly shied away from comparisons to private sector pay rates .

Once more the threat of a global financial meltdown, especially in Europe, is rapidly approaching.

A timely indicator is the clamouring of the useless class for more cake.

These striking types from Luas drivers to the latest mob are the types of characters that steal handbags from road traffic accident victims, the type that park their Mercedes in the disabled parking bays, the type that do a sh1t job but get the golden parachute treatment if the public get wind of their ineptitude. Beneath contempt considering how good they have had it for the last decade.

The financial fumbling has come around full circle and we are now showing our immaturity as a nation by allowing the exchequer, ie our money, to be raided and ransacked, by those who have the least claim on it.....those who have worked the least for it and those who deserve it least.

I would not mind not having a pay rise in 10 years if everyone else had a 40% pay cut and the cost of living dropped by a similar amount. But that's just me. I'm not a greedy, fumbling in the greasy till pr1ck. :)

To the front line workers I salute you, you are worth every cent. The general public support you. Unfortunately your seniors are taking the absolute Michael.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Funny how benchmarking is always assessed against people who earn more than you do. Benchmarking wouldn't be half as popular among consultants hired by boardrooms if the benchmark concerned was the dole.

The_SR

Everyone took a 10% pay cut and there was a 40% fall on the CP I? Do go on.

EUrJokingMeRight

a 10% paycut after a much greater than 10% payrise of course.

We can all jiggle the number anyway we wish but the point remains.

Benchmark brigade are holding back the progress of the Irish nation.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
If the only benchmark allowed was to the average national living wage then benchmarking as a process would be dead overnight.

The only people who believe in benchmarking are people who think they have identified someone who earns more than them and of course the consultants who make a living justifying it.

And the latter are the sort of people who have dedicated their existence to the practice of turning bullshyte into airmiles.

The_SR

a 10% paycut after a much greater than 10% payrise of course.

We can all jiggle the number anyway we wish but the point remains.

Benchmark brigade are holding back the progress of the Irish nation.
No jiggling. You made factual claims. Back them up

Spanner Island

Benchmarking 2.0 should have applied during the bust... but didn't.

Funny how Benchmarking is only ever sought when things are perceived to be going relatively well or improving whereas when things are sh!t it's the usual 'I'm alright Jack and f*** everyone else' attitude that prevails.

No-one should ever forget what PS unions did when the sh!t really hit the fan in the immediate aftermath of the crash... which was to demand ludicrous pay rises while the country went down the sh!tter...

And those f***ers will never change.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
why not benchmark the civil and public service right from Taoiseach to tea-boy to their equivalents in other European states?

It should be possible to smooth the data against indicators such as the national average wage, a ratio of income between dole and boardroom director and adjust accordingly. I'd propose that all benefits and quirks be monetised to give an indication of their actual value in euros.

The thing about benchmarking is that if it was done properly it would be deeply unpopular. The only reason benchmarking is more popular than it should be is because its mathematics and calculations are deliberately skewed towards publishing the notion that the people who commissioned the exercise are underpaid.

EUrJokingMeRight

No jiggling. You made factual claims. Back them up
People reading the thread can make their own minds up as to what they remember of the last decade here. As for backing up, why dont you back up? :)

CPI definition has changed since 2006, simply impossible to compare the two.

Man or Mouse

why not benchmark the civil and public service right from Taoiseach to tea-boy to their equivalents in other European states?

It should be possible to smooth the data against indicators such as the national average wage, a ratio of income between dole and boardroom director and adjust accordingly. I'd propose that all benefits and quirks be monetised to give an indication of their actual value in euros.

The thing about benchmarking is that if it was done properly it would be deeply unpopular. The only reason benchmarking is more popular than it should be is because its mathematics and calculations are deliberately skewed towards publishing the notion that the people who commissioned the exercise are underpaid.
Methinks they'd like to be benchmarked to the IT sector. It seems to be fairly buoyant of late. Seems the PS gurus have got hold of this and want some for themselves.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I could benchmark myself to an astronaut or a fighter pilot as well which would be quite glamorous and good for the ego but in fairness wouldn't make much sense.

Civil servants towards the senior grades always like to pretend that they are the equivalent of boardroom directors and captains of industry but they would flounder in such a different environment.

Equally boardroom directors would find the civil service stultifying and process-bound. Benchmarking during the tiger years was a handy phrase used to describe a form of bribery carried out by McCreevy and Ahern to keep the various civil service departments on board with FF.

There was no business rationale for the explosion in civil service reward, bonus schemes and perks during the Tiger years other than as a bribe to look the other way while the bubble was inflated.

That should be stamped on now in no uncertain terms and I suspect that the Government will have the Troika all over them if they set off down that route again. You'd soon find out how far away the IMF and ECB have 'gone'.

riker1969

Yeah too Right Sure Private sector Builders and Bankers and Auctioneers had absolutely nothing to do with crash. No private sector worker made a bean during boom nor have they had any pay increases since 2008. Its a bleeding tragedy it is. Where is Tiny Tim by the way?!
Its very hard to run a business on the lowest Corpo tax in Europe!

Uganda

The cuts really only neutered the benchmarking scam.

Now they want that scam reinstated. It was wrong then, and it's wrong now.

And btw not everybody took a pay cut of 10% - the payment of increments continued apace during the crash.

Analyzer

Bertonomics is back.

Meehaul 'the money is in thewife's account' is a back seat driver. Replacing Howlin.

toconn

My monies on 2019 for the next crash ! Spiralling debt and enslavement to neo liberal economics by bankers and workers guarantees only one thing - bust ! It hasn't dawned on anyone in power ( or actually it has ) that the system is bust . Basically the money out there cannot be backed up with assets .

Clanrickard

Yeah too Right Sure Private sector Builders and Bankers and Auctioneers had absolutely nothing to do with crash. No private sector worker made a bean during boom nor have they had any pay increases since 2008. Its a bleeding tragedy it is.
Yes it had. However your point above does not negative the point in the OP that benchmarking was a sham and it is ridiculous giving pay rises to anyone until the economy picks up and gains speed.

riker1969

For the love of Jesus Benchmarking is dead and only those with mental illness think it aint. Was it a mistake-Yes. Has it been repeated-no

riker1969

I listened to an FG councillor, who is also a doctor, a week or so ago, saying effectively that the basis for salaries is international.

So I propose that the salaries for all politicians be benchmarked against those in India.
Only an Idiot would express such a simplistic view. Cost of living is much cheaper in India. Also Irish people expect decent standards of living that cost. Please tell me you have not procreated?

I could benchmark myself to an astronaut or a fighter pilot as well which would be quite glamorous and good for the ego but in fairness wouldn't make much sense.

Civil servants towards the senior grades always like to pretend that they are the equivalent of boardroom directors and captains of industry but they would flounder in such a different environment.

Equally boardroom directors would find the civil service stultifying and process-bound. Benchmarking during the tiger years was a handy phrase used to describe a form of bribery carried out by McCreevy and Ahern to keep the various civil service departments on board with FF.

There was no business rationale for the explosion in civil service reward, bonus schemes and perks during the Tiger years other than as a bribe to look the other way while the bubble was inflated.

That should be stamped on now in no uncertain terms and I suspect that the Government will have the Troika all over them if they set off down that route again. You'd soon find out how far away the IMF and ECB have 'gone'.
There was every rationale.

Many civil servants realised that they could make much more money outside the Service.

I grudgingly accepted a 50% pay rise for leaving a semi-state.

<Mod> This topic is being discussed here. </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Most Replies