• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The benefits of Monarchy

THR

Unfortunately, Madelaine will not inherit the Swedish crown but her older sister Victoria will. She is not nearly as good-looking as Madde.

Btw, has anyone seen "The Queen", the oscar-winner yet? I intend to check it out.

G

cyberianpan said:
padraig said:
And the purpose of this thread is what ?.
Hmm my net nanny is banning the picture as:
"category Racism and Hate is filtered"

Also the url says a lot:
www.godhatessweden.com/images/princess1.jpg

CyP
That's weird. Just type 'Princess Madeleine' into Google images. Quite a flattering pic, actually. 'benefits' was a play on - well, just look at the pic and you should get it.

The point of the thread is to get going a discussion of monarchy in early twenty-first century Europe. I chose to get the discussion going in a light hearted way by showing the beautiful Princess Madeleine (as opposed to QEII).

I think she's a great role model for young Swedes.

G

THR said:
Unfortunately, Madelaine will not inherit the Swedish crown but her older sister Victoria will. She is not nearly as good-looking as Madde.

Btw, has anyone seen "The Queen", the oscar-winner yet? I intend to check it out.
Victoria is quite lovely too, though.

But Madeleine's my favourite.

Whig

THR said:
Brilliant film, I saw it twice, but I have friends who saw it more than that.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
asteroid said:
cyberianpan said:
padraig said:
And the purpose of this thread is what ?.
Hmm my net nanny is banning the picture as:
"category Racism and Hate is filtered"

Also the url says a lot:
www.godhatessweden.com/images/princess1.jpg

CyP
That's weird. Just type 'Princess Madeleine' into Google images. Quite a flattering pic, actually. 'benefits' was a play on - well, just look at the pic and you should get it.

The point of the thread is to get going a discussion of monarchy in early twenty-first century Europe. I chose to get the discussion going in a light hearted way by showing the beautiful Princess Madeleine (as opposed to QEII).

I think she's a great role model for young Swedes.
Aaah ok, see the pic now... not quite sure how it woulda resulted in discussion appertaining to monarchy though...

cYp

cYp

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
asteroid said:
Good Sirs,

I present to you Princess Madeleine of Sweden.

To be honest, I'd avoid drawing general conclusions as to the benifits of monarchy from your photo.

Munion

I'd go riding with Zara Phillips any day.

That's Liz Windsor's eldest granddaughter for those that don't know.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
No Thnx. And anyway don't forget that when we did have kings most of them sold the country down the river in 1169-71.

G

At present, seven European states have a Royal Family: Belgium, Britain, Denmark, Sweden, Spain, Norway and Holland.

What are the benefits of a monarchy as opposed to a president? Personally, I prefer a monarchy. I think countries with a long tradition of republican government should stay as republics, but I don't think present monarchies should become republics.

I'd say the benefits of a monarchy are:

- continuity
- a constant reminder of national history; a symbol of the nation
- the embodiment of over a millenium of European history; many of the monarchies can trace their lineages back to well before Charles V or even William the Conqueror.
- tourist attraction
- none of the party politicking that a presidential election stirs; the apolitical nature of the monarchy.

THR

asteroid said:
At present, seven European states have a Royal Family: Belgium, Britain, Denmark, Sweden, Spain, Norway and Holland.

What are the benefits of a monarchy as opposed to a president? Personally, I prefer a monarchy. I think countries with a long tradition of republican government should stay as republics, but I don't think present monarchies should become republics.

- continuity
- the embodiment of over a millenium of European history; many of the monarchies can trace their lineages back to well before Charles V or even William the Conqueror.
- tourist attraction
- none of the party politicking that a presidential election stirs; the apolitical nature of the monarchy.
In fact, of the countries which have monarchy as their form of government, Britain has the lowest popular-ratings for its monarchy even though the common perception is that Britain is the only country with a true monarchy in Europe while all the others have some sort of toy-monarchies.

I personally think that monarchy is outdated, primitive, superstituous and a palinly wrong idea promoting some people at birth above others but the issue is for every countyr itself to be settled and it seems that the Swedes, the Norwegians, the Dutch etc are quite happy with their monarchies, much more so than the British.

Many British friends of mine have told me that for them the issue is otherwise of a secondary nature but the idea of a president Blair scares them off their wits.

Conor

asteroid said:

- continuity
A little overlap between these maybe. What you consider a benefit may equally serve as a drawback - an bad monarch, or a monarch with wicked ancestors, may be a source of national embarassment or shame. At least a constitution can be re-written, in a way bloodlines can't.

G

THR said:
In fact, of the countries which have monarchy as their form of government, Britain has the lowest popular-ratings for its monarchy even though the common perception is that Britain is the only country with a true monarchy in Europe while all the others have some sort of toy-monarchies.

I personally think that monarchy is outdated, primitive, superstituous and a palinly wrong idea promoting some people at birth above others but the issue is for every countyr itself to be settled and it seems that the Swedes, the Norwegians, the Dutch etc are quite happy with their monarchies, much more so than the British.
Well I think it's interesting that so many European countries - liberal countries with much greater commitments to equality than Britain, perhaps - have retained their monarchy.

I don't see the Royals as occupying a superior position; on the contrary, they are always under the microscope of their people, and are politically gagged to boot. Things have gone almost full circle for them: They have utterly lost control - by birth, they are servants of the people, in a sense. But a good sense, I think.

I don't know about that perception of the UK monarchy you mentioned. I'd certainly regard it as one of the most mocked and derided families on earth. By contrast, the Spanish and Norwegian monarchies, for instance, seem to have retained a measure of respect and dignity that is quite admirable. King Juan Carlos, for instance, is, I think, immensely popular in Spain on account of the role he played in democratising Spain and stopping the fascist coup.