The best analogy.

manna

What's the best analogy that's bandied about in the media to show us the real value of the fifty billion euro to bail out the banks? My favourite one is: if you had fifty billion euro in twenty euro notes and pile them on top of each other they would stretch to the moon. Apparently it's true!

Last edited:

Half Nelson

A billion here, a billion there and pretty soon you're talking serious money.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
According to the Primetime special the other night.. the best case scenario for Anglo alone, at 29 billion.. and remember, thats best case scenario, would pay for 44 brand new childrens hospitals.

44 brand new childrens hospitals!!!!

Tell that to every single FF TD, Senator, Cllr and member when you meet him or her next time

44 brand new childrens hospitals !!!

cry freedom

If the money was in one euro coins and you counted it at the rate of one euro per second day and night, 24 per day, 365.25 per year without ever stoping or without ever sleeping ...... it would take you .....just over 1,700 years.

Last edited:

Bobert

My own personal analogy:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj-1b1Yvep8]YouTube - Nearer My God To Thee[/ame]

manna

Very good analogy! They should have a competition for the best analogy of black Thursday on Politics.ie One that will stick irrevocably in the consciousness of our once proud country: Ireland! The last thing we might loose is our unique creativity. Surely, they can't take that a way from us. Can they?

cry freedom

Very good analogy! They should have a competition for the best analogy of black Thursday on Politics.ie One that will stick irrevocably in the consciousness of our once proud country: Ireland! The last thing we might loose is our unique creativity. Surely, they can't take that a way from us. Can they?
Er, what unique creativity?
It's believing in mystical shyte like this that has us where we are.

Bobert

Well I'm gonzo come January. Sooner if I can help it.

spidermom

According to the Primetime special the other night.. the best case scenario for Anglo alone, at 29 billion.. and remember, thats best case scenario, would pay for 44 brand new childrens hospitals.

Tell that to every single FF TD, Senator, Cllr and member when you meet him or her next time

Or the total Nasa budget for (?) years...and then they mentioned the "new" Earth planet that had been discovered..and how maybe funding a few rocket trips to a new planet might appeal!...Only thing that made me smile that day!

spidermom

Mine.....

either....[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2IwOemnjbI]YouTube - Boomtown Rats - Banana Republic 1980[/ame]

OR....[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2oXzrnti4&ob=av3e]YouTube - The Specials - Ghost Town[/ame]

The Specials is just ahead in my book!!

Malbekh

My favourite one is the SoI costings. I'm not saying that their figures are right, but the estimation to build 1 of their huge wind turbine plants off the west coast, excavate, line and dam up an inland high altitude lough to enable hydroelectricity, and then utilise connectors to Eirgrid was about €5b.

They reckoned they needed 5 sets to provide 100% of our energy requirements going on for the next 50 years.

So, we would be energy independent, we would be a net exporter of energy, our energy would be completely environmentally friendly allowing us to meet our carbon requirements, and we'd also create thousands of jobs just when we needed them most.

Above all, we'd make a nation proud of its independence and ingenuity.

All yours for €25b

Last edited:

Odyessus

I thought the most striking figure was that it would pay the HSE bill.....for two and a half years!!

manna

What's the mysterious money markets analogy. They seem to have the biggest authority on everything that's happening for some strange reason.

needle_too

needle_too

manna

F*uking analogies are becoming succinct and more precise. Keep them coming! Up the ante!

needle_too

F*uking analogies are becoming succinct and more precise. Keep them coming! Up the ante!
The analogies are becoming analogier - is that what you mean:D

wrh

What's the best analogy that's bandied about in the media to show us the real value of the fifty billion euro to bail out the banks? My favourite one is: if you had fifty billion euro in twenty euro notes and pile them on top of each other they would stretch to the moon. Apparently it's true!
Yes, I saw that one in yesterday's Independent, but let's put an end to it before it goes any further. This analogy claims that 2.5 billion notes stacked would reach 3.76 million metres (the average distance from the surface of the Earth to the Moon). Do the division and you get that each note would have to be over 15 cm thick.

I can't find the thickness of Euro notes, but I suspect it is about .1mm. If so then the 50 billion would take you only 1/1500 of the way to the moon. Alternatively, if you stapled the 20 Euro notes end to end, you would almost reach the Moon since they are 13.3 cm long, but that's not what we usually mean by piling them on top of one another.

Perhaps the Independent was thinking of the Flintstones version of Euro banknotes? :)

firefly123

How about we build a space elevator. I big cable up to a station in geo synchronos orbit around the earth. The we can charge a load of cash to get people up.

A space elevator built according to the Edwards proposal is estimated to cost $20 billion ($40B with a 100% contingency).[12] This includes all operating and maintenance costs for one cable. If this is to be financed privately, a 15% return would be required ($6 billion annually). Subsequent elevators would cost $9.3B and would justify a much lower contingency ($14.3B total). The space elevator would lift 2 million kg per year per elevator and the cost per kilogram becomes $3,000 for one elevator, $1,900 for two elevators, $1,600 for three elevators, until construction costs are recovered, after which this drops significantly.

For comparison, in potentially the same time frame as the elevator, the Skylon, 12,000 kg cargo capacity spaceplane (not a conventional rocket) is estimated to have an R&D and production cost of about $15 billion.[12] The vehicle has about the same $3,000/kg price tag. Skylon would be suitable to launch cargo and particularly people to low/medium Earth orbit. Early space elevator designs move only cargo, although to a much wider range of destinations.[13] Later, tourism would seem possible as safety parameters are established.

Space elevator economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies