• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The best place to holiday in Ireland is............

Clanrickard

Loop Head takes the holiday crown in

Loop head according to the Irish Times. Seems like a relaxing pints-and-mussels-chat-with-the-locals type of place.There seems to be a big groundswell of back to basics in tourism. I heard on the radio yesterday that on average you spend 3 times as much going abroad on holiday than if you stayed at home. I hope this trend continues as places along the western seabird and away from the big cities need some sort of stimulus.

Nordie Northsider

...places along the western seabird...

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I agree with the post completely.

ruserious

Well Lonely Planet has said Cork City is among the 10 best cities in the world to visit and the BBC claim Cork is a greater destination than Dublin. How bad says you.

artfoley56

Well Lonely Planet has said Cork City is among the 10 best cities in the world to visit and the BBC claim Cork is a greater destination than Dublin. How bad says you.
Both reviews written by people who clearly havent had prolonged exposure to carkies.

Everyone knows wexico is tje finest place in ireland

Clanrickard

Both reviews written by people who clearly havent had prolonged exposure to carkies.

Everyone knows wexico is tje finest place in ireland
?

'orebel

It's funny because it's true.

D

Dylan2010

Ireland is a bit ropey when it comes to kids activities, cycling isn't safe unless you stay on an Island and the place isn't exactly bending under the weight of high quality kids activities in the tourist sense. And then we have the fact that eating out is still nose bleedingly expensive. Then there is the weather.

firefly123

Love west Clare. A real gem.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Anywhere that isn't this office, and where I am not surrounded by these boring, perspectiveless (if there is such a word) drones.

flavirostris

Dingle Peninsula or West Cork have to be better. Bantry, Schull, Clonakilty.. take your pick.

mido

Spain!

'orebel

captain obvious

Like to see those figures on which you spend 3 times as much going abroad, activities here aren't cheap and are essential in wet weather with kids. We have holidayed in Ireland over the last 4 years; last year we stayed in Loop Head lighthouse and it was fantastic - kids loved it. But this year we are going away...if I don't get some sun I am just going to crack up....

'orebel

Ireland is a bit ropey when it comes to kids activities, cycling isn't safe unless you stay on an Island and the place isn't exactly bending under the weight of high quality kids activities in the tourist sense. And then we have the fact that eating out is still nose bleedingly expensive. Then there is the weather.
This is my biggest gripe with this country. Great place to travel around with a partner or a bunch of mates but there really is very little in the way of kids activities and what is available is poorly run, poorly maintained and incredibly expensive.

I'd love to be proven wrong. Suggestions?

ShoutingIsLeadership

This is my biggest gripe with this country. Great place to travel around with a partner or a bunch of mates but there really is very little in the way of kids activities and what is available is poorly run, poorly maintained and incredibly expensive.

I'd love to be proven wrong. Suggestions?
"Have you a kids' menu?"

"Yes, we have sausages and chips, chicken nuggets and chips, chips and sausages, and chips and chicken nuggets."

retep

In fairness it all is relative to what you are seeking.

Absolutely if you want the waterparks/theme parks products for children then Ireland is lacking. Cycling is improving all the time, especially with the increasing greenway network. Value in eating out has also improved considerably since the demise of the Celtic tiger with early bird three course menus available for as little as €19.50 per person (admittedly not as competitive as say tourist areas of France or Spain but still not bad)

Finally, you don't holiday in Ireland if the weather is your primary consideration but if you dress appropriately to the conditions (as you will notice most foreign tourists doing) then if you happen to get fine sunny weather it's a bonus.

Personally I think there is few things as special as taking a family walk with your children on a beach or in a forest in this delightful country of ours (now so long as they don't sell off Coillte... And our beaches!)

drjimryan2

o'donohues in fanore for a pint and a smoked salmon sandwich,
the aran view house in doolin for the warm welcome and comfortable accommodation
gus oconnors for the craic, ceol and pints.....

bliss...

retep

o'donohues in fanore for a pint and a smoked salmon sandwich,
the aran view house in doolin for the warm welcome and comfortable accommodation
gus oconnors for the craic, ceol and pints.....

bliss...
Reminds me of Luka Blooms lovely song "Thank you for bringing me here". One to listen to for those that say holidays in Ireland is a drag for kids.