• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Best Thing About Politics.ie

Niall996

I've seen a few threads critical of P.ie so I thought I'd suggest my top three favorite things about it.

1. News. I find the site incredibly newsworthy. Pop in here and you pick up on Irish news stories incredibly quickly. Often before they appear on news sites.

2. Depth. Because there are strong opinions on opposing sides of nearly every discussion, the issues get probed very deeply, from different angles, from different perspectives and often with highly informative links, images, historical background included that can be very illuminating.

3. Humour. Even in the middle of incredibly robust and fiery debates posters often drop in hilarious laugh out loud posts, retorts etc. Probably much like myself, there are posters who behind some pretty vitriolic opinions are probably laughing away at some of the exchanges. And when a pair of posters get into a pointless tit for tat (and I've been there) it can be damned entertaining at times. No wonder our Irish hating element still cant help themselves coming here regularly rather than forums that would be presumably more aligned to their mindset.

Ribeye

Oh stop, you'll make me blush,

:)

tipp revolution

i have lEARnt a LoT Of STUFF here (wonky keyboard sorry) just a little more CONSTRaint on bad language would BE GREAT -think kilkenny mom iv vgotv a mv keyboarD WITH tourettes!!:D m

drummed

Who are the 'irish hating element':confused:

Analyzer

The process of observing other posters, ripping into those with power/wealth/connections/authority/a state position, and seeing real analysis, is a good positive experience.

It is especially healthy, when there is a veneer, to be pulled down in the process. People can buy image and presentation in the media. But not everybody is gullible enough to believe the propaganda/PR spin that is being pumped into the public realm.

The counter-action process, consisting of others try to muster a HBAP type defence, in a predictable manner, is humourous also.

Last edited:

BlackLion

the members. it gives real insight of the people of Ireland and why we are where we are.

Niall996

I remember once there was this furious vicious almighty row going on for page upon page of posts and then someone dropped in some completely diversionary thread about the guy who jumped out of the balloon. Like a bunch of kids stopping in mid football game to run to the fence to watch a train go by, for about an hour everything went still, everyone was awestruck by this event together on this one thread.
When it was over, we all wearily resumed our positions on the ramparts and wound back up again.
It was a bit like the famous Christmas football game in WW1.

On a micro scale of course.

Kev408

I've said it before on another NGT (navel-gazing thread) when one reads another poster's post one can not see the twinkle in the latter's eye. Most interactions on P.ie are good-natured. I know there's some very angry people who deal very badly with criticism of their party even when their party is blatantly wrong but they add to the humour of it.

I hear one party is now training their TDs how to react to criticism. Seems they lack the intelligence to understand the thin line between defending a blatant wrong, and the loss of credibility by doing so.

*twinkle*