The big news in France.

Didn't know where to put, so I opted for Chat.

JOHNNY HALLYDAY HAS DIED!

Paris has turned into an open air concert/biker fest for the occasion of his funeral. The reaction to his entirely unexpected death at the young age of 74 from untipped Gitanes related complications has convulsed the country for days. He'll be buried today and in a few years they'll unearth his bones and Pantheonise him.

Who the fook was he ?
Who the...?

Only the greatest rock star in the manner of Elvis to emerge from France. Well, he never really emerged beyond l'hexagone, but he was huuuuge here. For many decades.

Not my style. Power rock ballads and all that palaver. He's in the DNA of several generations of French people.

Macron has just joined the mourners at La Madeleine.

Deadlock

Paris has turned into an open air concert/biker fest for the occasion of his funeral. The reaction to his entirely unexpected death at the young age of 74 from untipped Gitanes related complications has convulsed the country for days. He'll be buried today and in a few years they'll unearth his bones and Pantheonise him.
Ah, that's sad to hear. He'd been diagnosed with cancer a few years ago - I hadn't realised it was terminal.

His big hit during my time there was "La Douceur de Vivre" - he could still hold a tune well into his 70s.

He never made it big in Mayo . So he never made it big .
That is an enormous point against him and I'm in full agreement.

Elton John must be busy. They have hired an inferior pianist to play a Piaf piece. People crying in the streets.

It's France's Diana moment. Ironic, given that we gave the UK their Diana moment.

Brexit, eh?

We can no longer export grief.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, FARAGE?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
First heard of him from my French girlfriend in about 1984/5. It was all Barclay James Harvest and Johnny Halliday with only Frankie Goes to Hollywood and early Simple Minds for relief in Nantes in a particular summer of wine outdoors on warm evenings.

I am led to believe that generations grew up in France of the belief that only Johnny Halliday stood between France and the massive asteroid oblivion from planet X.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I suspect that Johnny Halliday sounded particularly good because, and apologies to France for this, their attempts at a pop industry have only rarely surfaced from the incredibly awful to the sunlit upland of mediocrity.

The best pop single to be sung predominantly in French remains the product of a Belgian in 'Ca Plane Pour Moi' by Plastic Bertrand.

One of the Europe's biggest states next door and they've never managed to top Belgium's 'Ca Plane Pour Moi'.

There is something deeply wrong with France when it comes to pop music. Too busy trying to find the next cutesie Brigitte Bardot or breathy bird like yer wan that did 'Joe Le Taxi'.

Catalpast

The French Elvis!:cool:

Its a pity he didn't ever crack the Anglophone market

- do you know could he speak Anglais...

former wesleyan

I suspect that Johnny Halliday sounded particularly good because, and apologies to France for this, their attempts at a pop industry have only rarely surfaced from the incredibly awful to the sunlit upland of mediocrity.

The best pop single to be sung predominantly in French remains the product of a Belgian in 'Ca Plane Pour Moi' by Plastic Bertrand.

One of the Europe's biggest states next door and they've never managed to top Belgium's 'Ca Plane Pour Moi'.

There is something deeply wrong with France when it comes to pop music. Too busy trying to find the next cutesie Brigitte Bardot or breathy bird like yer wan that did 'Joe Le Taxi'.
They say that the first thing a French band does is split over the colour of the guitars .

GDPR

The French have given up with the muzak in shops and the Christmas songs. They tend to be in English.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Mind you they are a very sensitive to the arts sort of people so it is hardly surprising that the rules of pop music should somehow pass them by.

It is simple. You just have to think of a short rhyming piece with a catchy chorus that infants would like, add a rhythm section, some late teen types with interesting hair and off you go.

The recipe is too simple and without depth for the French so the whole thing eludes them and all they can do is offer a copy of something they see and hear from the UK or US.

Hence Johnny.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Even 'Frere Jacques' is a bit crap on the basis that it is supposed to be calling a monk out of bed to ring the bells and then goes on to warn him that the bells are ringing so he should get out of bed.

If Frere Jacques had failed to get out of bed to ring the bells and the bells were ringing anyway what was the point in disturbing him?

Even their nursery rhymes are fairly f*cked.

hollandia

The oul fella claims to have been given a lift by him whilst hiking around France in the late sixties, without having the first clue about who he was until after the fact.

blinding

Are we going to have to lay on this sort of fete for Dickie Rock ( he is still alive ,is he ) now ? .

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies