The birds are singing their hearts out now outside my window.

im axeled

Have it every night, baby pheasants springing through the fields a glimpse of a newborn hare, lambs galore and a bird of prey of some kind has taken root in the area, now he/she is majestic.
we do not have the phesents hatching until june, the hay and silage cutting decimates them

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
I like the pigeons going Coop-Cooop-Coop-coop-coop too.

SEAMAI

I've been hearing a bird song in the last two weeks that I can't say that I've heard before. It's very distinctive, almost like some blowing through a flute at the higher end, any ideas what this could be?

OrderoftheDragon

we do not have the phesents hatching until june, the hay and silage cutting decimates them
Mostly grazing land and ditches near me, load of ditches and a stream......prime wildlife habitat. Oh I think by the way it's a kestrel.

asset test

I've been hearing a bird song in the last two weeks that I can't say that I've heard before. It's very distinctive, almost like some blowing through a flute at the higher end, any ideas what this could be?
Sorry no. But I am probably not the best person to ask either!

Hopefully someone will come along and identify for you.

TheWolf

I like the pigeons going Coop-Cooop-Coop-coop-coop too.
There's 2 wood pigeons nesting about twenty foot from my bedroom window.
They wake me every morning around 6-6.30.
That, along with the waves crashing against the rocks below my house is the coolest 'alarm clock' in the world

max99

That's so weird...have being hearing the same 'chirp'! Thought it was the robin, but it's definitely more distinctive more musical!!....

Would love to know what it is!

asset test

There's 2 wood pigeons nesting about twenty foot from my bedroom window.
They wake me every morning around 6-6.30.
That, along with the waves crashing against the rocks below my house is the coolest 'alarm clock' in the world
Sounds idyllic, I'm sure you get used to it. It's like the alarms and dogs out there in suburbia!

SEAMAI

That's so weird...have being hearing the same 'chirp'! Thought it was the robin, but it's definitely more distinctive more musical!!....

Would love to know what it is!
When I heard it yesterday evening coming from a hawthorn bush I spent five minutes standing there hoping to catch a glimpse of the bird.

max99

When I heard it yesterday evening coming from a hawthorn bush I spent five minutes standing there hoping to catch a glimpse of the bird.
If you spot it?! let me know! It's coming from a beech hedge near my house..

TheWolf

Sounds idyllic, I'm sure you get used to it. It's like the alarms and dogs out there in suburbia!
I was very lucky in that way.
I was left an old rundown cottage by my father, God rest him, but in a beautiful location looking over the Irish sea towards the mountains of Mourne.
Still have a hoor of a mortgage on it though.:)

midlander12

Me too, no idea what it is. I also saw two birds outside this evening that I never have seen before - small, mainly beige coloured bodies but with very brightly multi-coloured heads and wings.

asset test

I was very lucky in that way.
I was left an old rundown cottage by my father, God rest him, but in a beautiful location looking over the Irish sea towards the mountains of Mourne.
Still have a hoor of a mortgage on it though
.:)
Enjoy my friend. The surroundings will make up for it all. I think you are fortunate there. Carlingford area or the other side maybe? You don't have to say but that is one great part of the planet no matter what.

Rest in peace to your Dad too. I know all about that.

TheWolf

Enjoy my friend. The surroundings will make up for it all. I think you are fortunate there. Carlingford area or the other side maybe? You don't have to say but that is one great part of the planet no matter what.

Rest in peace to your Dad too. I know all about that.
Funnily enough, my father was from Cooley but moved, for love, to North County Dublin.
Thanks for that btw, he, like yours I'm sure, will never be forgotten.

im axeled

i am lucky to have what i have, only for i fought for it it would not ne mine, others wanted to sell it, for 100 punts back in the day, i said nfw, i live here yfo

Mad as Fish

They've been waking me here for at least a month. The horny little bastards are up and are it early these days.
The French are blessed/cursed with the loudest birdsong I've come across, despite their attempts over the centuries to eat them all.

willow68

Collared Doves? Newly arrived from de continent - never used to see them in Ireland. They are very pretty and have been spreading westwards for decades.

Deadlock

The French are blessed/cursed with the loudest birdsong I've come across, despite their attempts over the centuries to eat them all.
Having lived in France I have to agree. We lived close to a protected forest southwest of Paris, and for our first fortnight in our new apartment we couldn't sleep through the night with feckin' owls! Forty years living in suburban Ireland without so much as a twittwoo, and then three weeks living like zombies, in spitting distance of one of the feckin' largest cities in Europe!

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It'd be funny to rig up a speaker in the trees playing whale-song. You'd really freak out some of the neighbours.

Tweet tweet. Tweet Tweet. Woooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooo. Scare the shyte out of the dickie burds too come to think of it.

Deadlock

It'd be funny to rig up a speaker in the trees playing whale-song. You'd really freak out some of the neighbours.

Tweet tweet. Tweet Tweet. Woooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooo. Scare the shyte out of the dickie burds too come to think of it.
Until some smart ass starling learns and starts singing whale song. Then the birds and whales start communicating with each other, and figure out man is the enemy.
Don't mess with the natural order, please!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies