The Birth and collaspse of the Western Self.

SevenStars

Very interesting article....While it dwells on Freud's role in undermining that the individualism and (perceived) rationality of the west by showing how our conciousness is oftened shaped, guided and even in some cases controlled by deeper pre- and subrational forces that are the collective inheritance of the human race Marx on the left and Pareto and Nietzsche on the right also showed that how humans view reality is to a large degree a product of our "will to power" usually on a subconcious level.

The autonomous ego guided by the light of reason with the power to remake the world in its image as he or she was understood in the 17 th, 18 th and 19 th century has been replaced increasingly by the mass-"person" guided by instinct and emotion as opposed to reason and weighed down by a sense of inevitability (of course both Marx and Nietzsche sought to understand the dynamics underneath the surface of society in order to heroically remake it).

SevenStars

The Birth and the Collapse of the Western Idea of Self

"Rene Descartes, the "father of modern philosophy," was to exemplify the coming worship of individualism and rationalism of the Western self. It was a graphic and lonely act that historic day in the seventeenth century when Descartes crawled into his large stove in the morning with the vow that he would not come out until he had found the ultimate principle. At the end of the day he emerged with a sentence that ties together both ideas of his time, individualism and rationalism: "I think, therefore I am." It is I who do the thinking. I am an individual and I need no one else and each individual proves his existence by thinking, that is, by rationality. Thus individualism and rationalism became the two principles on which modern philosophy, and to a large extent culture, was based. And thus the Western self would be formed upon the two principles that were the epitome of our Western way of looking at life--rationalism and individualism."

Asparagus

Very interesting article....While it dwells on Freud's role in undermining that the individualism and (perceived) rationality of the west by showing how our conciousness is oftened shaped, guided and even in some cases controlled by deeper pre- and subrational forces that are the collective inheritance of the human race Marx on the left and Pareto and Nietzsche on the right also showed that how humans view reality is to a large degree a product of our "will to power" usually on a subconcious level.

The autonomous ego guided by the light of reason with the power to remake the world in its image as he or she was understood in the 17 th, 18 th and 19 th century has been replaced increasingly by the mass-"person" guided by instinct and emotion as opposed to reason and weighed down by a sense of inevitability (of course both Marx and Nietzsche sought to understand the dynamics underneath the surface of society in order to heroically remake it).
link?

before you get zooed - The mods don't like non sensational threads

SevenStars

Sorry link is in the second posting.

There is a 50/50 chance that Sync will Zoo this thread.

Asparagus

Sorry link is in the second posting.

There is a 50/50 chance that Sync will Zoo this thread.
Rollo May !!! Aaaahhhh

You won't get zooed because most mods won't get through the first paragraph...

kerdasi amaq

Sigmund Freud should really be re-named Sigmund Fraud.

SevenStars

SevenStars

spot the guy with the raging oedipus complex - Freud knew how to label his mofos
I read this book ages of ages ago called "The Aryan Christ" or "The Aryan Messiah" about Jung's private beliefs....The guy was pretty psycho to say the least. He was a much better writer than Freud though.

SevenStars

Has anyone here ever read Nikolai Berdyaev?

He was this Russian (I think aristocrat) who started off as a Marxist but came to embrace a very personalized Russian Orthodoxy.

He put forward this idea that we were entering a New Middle Ages which would see the re-birth of collectivism and the "mythic", that the reinassance was now finished, and the chioce we had was whether this new age would be ruled by either Christ or Satan...

kerdasi amaq

All those who fought the Third Reich were fighting for Satan.

SevenStars

All those who fought the Third Reich were fighting for Satan.
Are you it wasnt all those who fought the Third Reich who were fighting against Satan?

kerdasi amaq

spot the guy with the raging oedipus complex - Freud knew how to label his mofos
The only thought that occurs to me about this, is that Sigmund had a Oedipus Complex himself and wrongly concluded that everyone else had to have one too.

I think it would be easier to believe that it is genetic condition rather than psychological one.

Asparagus

The only thought that occurs to me about this, is that Sigmund had a Oedipus Complex himself and wrongly concluded that everyone else had to have one too.

I think it would be easier to believe that it is genetic condition rather than psychological one.
As Bill Hicks said Freuds mom was HOT, in fact she was smokin - if my mom looked like her i'd want to do her too.

Sigmund thought we all went through the Oedipus stage, so i guess he did himself.

Psychology and genetics are interlinked as are mind and body - predisposition and stress are the two main influences on mental health

SevenStars

No time to watch but is that about hitlers search for relics and his supposed status as a black wizard?
Well yes....It has brillant old footage of the Third Reich though.

I think there is plenty of evidence that Hitler and Himmler were involved in the Occult.

kerdasi amaq

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies