The Blue of the Day: Carl Corcoran to leave Lyric FM

statsman

Legendary Blue of the Night presenter Carl Corcoran has announced his intention to leave the programme and station next month.

Carl Corcoran Moving On from 'The Blue of the Night' | The Journal of Music

Corcoran has been presenting the programme, widely regarded as one of the best late-night radio music shows on the planet, for about a decade, and was previously the host of The Lyric Breakfast before Marty was given license to pollute the early morning. He's one of the very best broadcasters on any RTE station, radio and TV, and will be very hard to replace. Being a musician probably helps, as does being knowledgeable about music of all sorts and having a proper radio voice.

He'll be missed. Unlike some.

hollandia

Legendary Blue of the Night presenter Carl Corcoran has announced his intention to leave the programme and station next month.

Corcoran has been presenting the programme, widely regarded as one of the best late-night radio music shows on the planet, for about a decade, and was previously the host of The Lyric Breakfast before Marty was given license to pollute the early morning. He's one of the very best broadcasters on any RTE station, radio and TV, and will be very hard to replace. Being a musician probably helps, as does being knowledgeable about music of all sorts and having a proper radio voice.

Great show. And I think, it's partly Carl's very calming voice that makes it.

statsman

Never heard him - but another Whispering Bob Harris?
No, more animated than that, calm, not soporific. :)

Give it a listen on Monday, while you still can.

hollandia

No, more animated than that, calm, not soporific. :)

Give it a listen on Monday, while you still can.
But make sure you're lying down, be cause the combo of voice and music can be very relaxing

Casablanca

A great broadcaster and a great show.

Marty Whelan should be locked into a room for a week and made listen to Carl's Show.

Or just locked into a room.......

D

Deleted member 17573

What's wrong with Marty?
Anyway, Lyric lost its way a long time ago when it started reducing its classical music content.

Golden Phoenix

If only it was Marty Whelan..............

A Voice

They seem to be departing at a rate of knots. Finnerty, Davin-Power, Corcoran. Is this part of the promised "savings" RTÉ has spoken about?

hollandia

They seem to be departing at a rate of knots. Finnerty, Davin-Power, Corcoran. Is this part of the promised "savings" RTÉ has spoken about?
I can't imagine Carl Corcoran to be on the same payscale as the rest. Though, he probably deserves it more than the others.

A Voice

I can't imagine Carl Corcoran to be on the same payscale as the rest. Though, he probably deserves it more than the others.
You could hire him 10 times and still have change out of Bryan Tubridy's pay "package".

statsman

He's done the gig for 10 years and probably just wants a change.

A Voice

He's done the gig for 10 years and probably just wants a change.
I hope so but didn't his colleague doing the Jazz Alley show (Donald Helme?) get the boot some time back? As far as I know that wasn't Don's decision.

Man or Mouse

What's wrong with Marty?
Anyway, Lyric lost its way a long time ago when it started reducing its classical music content.
There's so much stuff on you tube now you need never run out of choice, when at home at any rate. And, you still don't have to listen to Marty even if there's nothing wrong with him. I'd much prefer to be listening to Herself anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1u28o1jisc

statsman

I hope so but didn't his colleague doing the Jazz Alley show (Donald Helme?) get the boot some time back? As far as I know that wasn't Don's decision.
Yes, but this seems to be Carl deciding.

farnaby

What's wrong with Marty?
I switched to Lyric this morning hoping Marty would, for that moment, be playing a serene yet uplifting track, like every other classical radio station on the planet at that hour. What was he playing? PHIL F&*€1NG COLLINS!!!

I really liked stuff like the departed Reels to Ragas and Grace Notes, which complemented the pure classical. But Marty, Gay Byrne, "Movies and Musicals"... Noise pollution.

farnaby

brughahaha

10 - 1 is a bit of an awful shift mind ...especially if you like going to live music gigs (or having a pint , or social life) ...10 years would be enough for anyone

Ardillaun

Always a pleasure to listen to that man. He'll be missed.

We have the same dumbing down problem with public radio in Canada. In an effort to chase market share, CBC Radio has become irrelevant.

New Threads

Most Replies