The Blueprint for a New Northern Ireland

fluffykontbiscuits

Ineveitably we all end up trying to score points on this section of the board so lets discuss plans for a new Northern Ireland. Lets lay down some ground rules (which I will abide by myself I can be as bad as others on this forum from both sides). Point out a historical situation only if you think a lesson can be learnt from it not to score points over one and other (this includes me and SS/Slab trying to get one over on one and other).

In your opinion, what can be done to create a new Northern Ireland. Policing, Economy,Education, Crime etc. are all issues that need to be addressed.

oboe

Perhaps you could begin by explaining why you think we need a new NI. I think most people are reasonably happy with the current one. Those that aren't are never going to be satisfied.

Cruimh

Perhaps you could begin by explaining why you think we need a new NI. I think most people are reasonably happy with the current one. Those that aren't are never going to be satisfied.
Yep - I'd say most people are reasonably happy with the current framework for our future - and as oboe says those that aren't, especially the outsiders, won't be pleased unless they get what they want.

fluffykontbiscuits

Well with the current economic situation is it viable for Northern Ireland to be part of the UK or Ireland was one thing that came to mind. The policing bill and public sector bill alone run into billions.

oboe

Well with the current economic situation is it viable for Northern Ireland to be part of the UK or Ireland was one thing that came to mind. The policing bill and public sector bill alone run into billions.[/

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. Do you think NI should go it alone? Terrible idea if so.

I think you would needed to have experienced the Troubles to appreciate our relative normality we are enjoying here

fluffykontbiscuits

Well with the current economic situation is it viable for Northern Ireland to be part of the UK or Ireland was one thing that came to mind. The policing bill and public sector bill alone run into billions.[/

I'm not sure what you are suggesting. Do you think NI should go it alone? Terrible idea if so.

I think you would needed to have experienced the Troubles to appreciate our relative normality we are enjoying here
I admit I have a very different view point of the North than ye lads my perception is formed from friends , media, internet and from visits I have paid myself. If the vast majority seem happy with it then leave it be oboe thats what I will say! My fault probably lies with thinking a lot on here represent the demographics of the NI

oboe

I admit I have a very different view point of the North than ye lads my perception is formed from friends , media, internet and from visits I have paid myself. If the vast majority seem happy with it then leave it be oboe thats what I will say! My fault probably lies with thinking a lot on here represent the demographics of the NI
Given the chance the majority of Northern Nationslists would still, I believe, opt for a UI.
However in the mean time NI is what it is. It could, and has, be a lot worse. I wouldn't live anywhere else

Northern Voice

I don't think the OP meant a radically new Northern Ireland - rather what reforms can be made to build upon the progress we have already made. Stormont is set to complete its first full term since the GFA, showing that issues of political stability and the constitution are now settled. Both nationalists and unionists are evidently willing to build a better future for the people of Northern Ireland, Protestant, Catholic, Muslim, Jew, or whatever.

The number one issue that has to be dealt with is without doubt the economy. For too long we have relied on the public sector at the cost of the private sector. We need to develop a thriving private sector and reduce our reliance on state employment. Key in growing the private sector will be the attraction of new investment, something we are already seeing what with Citigroup's recent creation of new jobs etc. Northern Ireland is open and ready for business, and there is no reason we cannot be competitive.

In terms of law and order, we must always remain vigilant to the threat of dissident Republicans whilst not allowing them to dominate our thinking. A large amount of these groups are more involved in crime as opposed to political violence and they should be treated as such. In terms of the PSNI itself, it needs to be less concerned about the political spotlight and more concerned with proper robust policing. 50/50 recruitment must end in the interest of fairness. The best person for the job should be chosen regardless of religion.

Quite simply, the past should not be allowed to dominate present discourse. It stymies a society in the midst of conflict resolution. Costly inquiries into the past need to be radically reformed. Healing old wounds creates a vicious cycle of opening new ones, and that is not good for our society. Northern Ireland's past must never be forgotten but it cannot be allowed to dominate political and social discourse.

In terms of education, I believe Peter Robinson was on to something when he called for the end of integrated education. Whilst I don't believe students should be encouraged to ignore their own unique identity, they should be encouraged to understand the other community's. School's need to be less hesitant in teaching children their history to do this. Only through understanding will opinions ever change in Northern Ireland. Education will play a key role in facilitating this.

Overall, Northern Ireland must build on the massive steps it has made since 1998. We must normalise our society whilst protecting the rights of all. Northern Ireland must build a competitive economy based with a better balance of the public and the private. Policing must be robust and unafraid to tackle crime. The past should not dominate the presence. I believe Northern Ireland has made vast strives in becoming a vibrant part of the United Kingdom, this progress can and will be maintained in my view.

SevenStars

Where to begin.....

SevenStars

Are you talking ideally fluffy hun or practically?

SevenStars

Practically what in your terms are measures which would improve on NI if you feel it needs improving
I think Gerry Adams should leave public life.

It would be interesting to see also what type of history the Onionists learn in school.

But I dont think you can really do much while MI5 are poking around the place in such large numbers and the British Army is up there effectively holding a gun to the collective head of Ireland.

Making wearing the poppy illegal would be a good start...:cool:

Mickeymac

I think Gerry Adams should leave public life.

It would be interesting to see also what type of history the Onionists learn in school.

But I dont think you can really do much while MI5 are poking around the place in such large numbers and the British Army is up there effectively holding a gun to the collective head of Ireland.

Making wearing the poppy illegal would be a good start...:cool:

The poppy is an emblem worn by onionists in the same way as a Rangers NI football shirt/Orange sash, under current legislation, wearing the poppy in the workplace is a breach of the law and therefore should be banned for the sake of peace and harmony especially in a deeply divided society.

SevenStars

Also the discrimination in housing and jobs needs to go.

The Orange Order should be made be made illegal.

Northern Voice

Trolling, trolling, trolling.

Don't spoil what could be an otherwise interesting discussion on important issues.

SevenStars

Do nationalists and Unionists have different history text books?

SevenStars

Fluffy to be honest I think Ireland north and south is basically doomed. And there is little point blaming the Brits and the RCC as criminal as both can be at this stage.

Mickeymac

Trolling, trolling, trolling.

Don't spoil what could be an otherwise interesting discussion on important issues.

I know what onionists call 'interesting discussion'

ie: agree with them that OO can march where they are not wanted, bring back prod rule etc etc....the list goes on and for anyone to oppose such nonsense lets call them a troll or some other insulting name.

fluffykontbiscuits

Fluffy to be honest I think Ireland north and south is basically doomed. And there is little point blaming the Brits and the RCC as criminal as both can be at this stage.
Nah I dont think its that bad, lets be honest life is not ideal at the moment myself (as I am sure yourself is hun) are trying to make ends meet. Economically what changes should we bring about?

SevenStars

Nah I dont think its that bad, lets be honest life is not ideal at the moment myself (as I am sure yourself is hun) are trying to make ends meet. Economically what changes should we bring about?
Look who is actually hungry in Ireland?

Yes kids with drug addicted or alcoholic parents are and thats tragic...But honestly once you have food, shelter and semi decent clothes aswell as music to listen to or book to read everything else is a luxury.

We have been spoilt for too long.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies