• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The boomtown rats are back....

bob3367

This should provide a ray of sunshine on a miserable wet and windy day.

They last played together in 1986, now they are planning a gig on the Isle of Man.

Heres hoping a full tour will follow, Banana republic would reach No.1 if it was released now......

Great feckin news;););););)

Sister Mercedes

They were crap in their heyday. Geldof didn't get Knighted because of his music. I can't imagine the years have improved much.

DaveM

Reunions like this rarely deliver the goods. Genuinely good bands like the Stone Roses can pull it off but the Boomtown Rats were mediocre at best in their heyday. Were it not for what Geldof did during the 1980's they would be long forgotten by now.

gatsbygirl20

Never liked them, art-schoolish poseurs, mediocre music. And they went on Top of the Pops.
Saw them in the Cellar in Galway sometime in the 70s when they were starting out. Lots of energy...trying to send up the old poseur hippy musos and align themselves with the new punk (which was crap anyway) but without much success....
But Geldof is an intelligent and interesting guy for reasons that have little to do with his frail musical talent...

Pete Briquette said he thought the group was too old and creepy-grandfather-ish to be comfortable singing about "Mary Of the Fourth Form"--- which about sums up the problem with these "reunion" tours of aging rock stars....

Reunions like this rarely deliver the goods. Genuinely good bands like the Stone Roses can pull it off but the Boomtown Rats were mediocre at best in their heyday. Were it not for what Geldof did during the 1980's they would be long forgotten by now.
Another notable exception is Magazine.

bob3367

I thought Geldolfs political astuteness back in the late 1970's was pretty much on the ball, and today those songs still have a place todays society.

bob3367

Saw them in the Cellar in Galway sometime in the 70s when they were starting out. Lots of energy...trying to send up the old poseur hippy musos and align themselves with the new punk (which was crap anyway) but without much success....
But Geldof is an intelligent and interesting guy for reasons that have little to do with his frail musical talent...

Pete Briquette said he thought the group was too old and creepy-grandfather-ish to be comfortable singing about "Mary In the Fourth Form"--- which about sums up the problem with these "reunion" tours of aging rock stars....
"Pete Briquette" on of the best names I have every heard.;)

zakalwe1

i thought it was the Isle of Wight, and biggest non-event....
what was it, 2 number ones and one or two other top tens?

DaveM

Another notable exception is Magazine.
Des, my initial reaction to that was "who?" so I went to youtube and listened to Shot by Both Sides. My reaction remains "who?" :lol:

Seanie Lemass

I saw them in Moran's Hotel in Talbot Street before they had 'made it' and they were a really good R & B bank. There's two tracks from the back of Mary of the Fourth Form recorded in Morans. First album is really good as well and has some good songs like Neo Heart and Joey. Wasn't mad about what they did later although did see them in 1978 in the Olympia when they were touring the second album. They were supported by a Dublin band called the Vipers long since disappeared into the mists of time!

onlyasking

Never liked them, art-schoolish poseurs, mediocre music. And they went on Top of the Pops.
I know what you mean, BUT, I saw them at the age of 15 in the basement of Moran's Hotel (Talbot and Gardiner Sts junction) at a 'secret gig' on the eve of Dalymount, and they were pretty convincing, taking the earlier Feelgood's template to an update (Thin Lizzy, in their prime, were onstage after them - in a club of about 200 souls).

Saw them later on that year after their first hits, when they played the Stella Cinema in Rathmines. Close as You'll Ever Be, Joey's on The Streets Again etc - pretty damn good, and I saw practically everyone back then apart from the Pistols.

I don't like Geldof, I remember him recommending the abolition or near-abolition of taxes, but he took an unbelievable amount of gobbing in the Stella - it kinda sickened me at the time, and I stood well back for fear for my health.

They had their moments, and some were good.

gatsbygirl20

"Pete Briquette" on of the best names I have every heard.;)
They were clever and intelligent guys with great wit, even if musically of little interest (to me anyway at the time)

Geldof loved telling everyone how he got the name "Boomtime Rats" from Woody Guthrie's autobiography

Galdof had been a rock journalist in Canada. His main interest was words and ideas---he never really "got" it musically...

Plus he was a Blackrock boy, and despite his enraged attacks on that school it seems to have given him a decent education and a decent value system. I was impressed by his stoicism and his gentlemanly refusal to fight back when his poor wife Paula started attacking him in the media after she left him, and his never even allowing a hint of criticism about her since.
At the back of it all there was something decent about Geldof....

MacO'velli

I saw them in Moran's Hotel in Talbot Street before they had 'made it' and they were a really good R & B bank. There's two tracks from the back of Mary of the Fourth Form recorded in Morans. First album is really good as well and has some good songs like Neo Heart and Joey. Wasn't mad about what they did later although did see them in 1978 in the Olympia when they were touring the second album. They were supported by a Dublin band called the Vipers long since disappeared into the mists of time!
The Vipers? Did Paul Cleary from the Blades play with them at one stage?

DaveM

I thought Geldolfs political astuteness back in the late 1970's was pretty much on the ball, and today those songs still have a place todays society.
Doesn't matter how politically astute the songs are if they're not very good though. That's why they almost never get played on the radio these days. There'll be plenty at their comeback gig whose reaction will be nothing more than mild interest that Peaches Geldof's old man who they'd kind of heard of before was once in a band.

Des, my initial reaction to that was "who?" so I went to youtube and listened to Shot by Both Sides. My reaction remains "who?" :lol:
They're one of those bands cited by almost everyone as an influence - something that they managed without ever selling many records.

Their firslt album "Real Life" is something of a cult classic.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies