The Boundary Commission, what could have been?

Stephen Ferguson

Remember, partition was imposed on this island by a foreign government, it wasn't wanted by Republicans or Unionists.
YouTube - Stewie - Say Whaaaaaaat?

Repartition will never happen, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the possibility of a United Ireland happening within our lifetime. I'm not saying it will, but given how much has changed in politics on this island, I think you'd be a fool to dismiss it, especially now that the Unionist majority in the North is so slim.
So slim?

Support for a UI within NI currently runs at about 20%.

God only knows how much that figure has fallen after the past two weeks.....

It aint ever gonna happen a chara.

dublincitizen

have you any idea how long people have been saying that for???

Yet the border is more entrenched and secure now than it's ever been.

What kind of moron would want to take NI out of the UK into a soon-to-be third world country anyway?? Most of NI's Nationalists won't even touch you now after the past fortnight. They know what side their bread is buttered on!

Give it up!!
C'mere, the North right now has never had it so good. For the last number of years, it has had literally billions thrown at it by the British government. The Stormont government doesn't even have a budget, it just channels the money to wherever it wants, hence why it can't balance the books and needs additional subvention from the British exchequer.

Eventually Stormont will be forced into having a budget, and to balancing it's books, and when that happens, the South will look like an economic haven.

The reality is partition doesn't work, and never has. The only reason its lasted as long as it has is because for half of the last century, the state had an artificial Unionist majority, maintained by gerrymandering and discrimination of Catholics. Now that the troubles are over, and normal politics is returning to the North, the economic realities of partition are starting to become visible, and the reality is the North can't compete. Its being propped up by British subvention, and without that it wouldn't have half the public services it has. It is an economic basketcase.

Anyone who thinks having 2, sometimes 3 of everything is sustainable for such a small population on a small island is livin with the fairies.

dublincitizen

Unionists were opposed to Home Rule were they not?

So slim?

Support for a UI within NI currently runs at about 20%.

God only knows how much that figure has fallen after the past two weeks.....

It aint ever gonna happen a chara.
That figure is of Nationalists only and the Life & Times figure is actually lower, 18%. Do you seriously believe only 18% of Nationalists support a United Ireland?

You know well people give dodgy answers to these polls which goes back to the troubles, and given the divided demographic of the North, there is no accurate way to poll the support for or against a United Ireland.

But there are 2 parties in the North actively seeking a United Ireland, and these received just under 45% of the vote at the last election.

Schomberg

C'mere, the North right now has never had it so good. For the last number of years, it has had literally billions thrown at it by the British government. The Stormont government doesn't even have a budget, it just channels the money to wherever it wants, hence why it can't balance the books and needs additional subvention from the British exchequer.

Eventually Stormont will be forced into having a budget, and to balancing it's books, and when that happens, the South will look like an economic haven.

The reality is partition doesn't work, and never has. The only reason its lasted as long as it has is because for half of the last century, the state had an artificial Unionist majority, maintained by gerrymandering and discrimination of Catholics. Now that the troubles are over, and normal politics is returning to the North, the economic realities of partition are starting to become visible, and the reality is the North can't compete. Its being propped up by British subvention, and without that it wouldn't have half the public services it has. It is an economic basketcase.

Anyone who thinks having 2, sometimes 3 of everything is sustainable for such a small population on a small island is livin with the fairies.

RahenyFG

Because the countries you mentioned in your earlier post are irrelevant to my argument. They have not been divided or have had boundary commissions undermine them.

I put forward my argument as a possibility by the way, I wasn't stating a boundary commission would have indefinitely have weakened the north as indicated by my thread title.

RahenyFG

Is this a divided "nation" ? More than one nation on this land mass.
This island is divided into two nations when it shouldn't be.

Judging by your location as County Londonderry I can take it you're a unionist. Im interested to hear a unionist's views for a change.

Stephen Ferguson

Now that the troubles are over, and normal politics is returning to the North, the economic realities of partition are starting to become visible, and the reality is the North can't compete. Its being propped up by British subvention, and without that it wouldn't have half the public services it has. It is an economic basketcase.
Eh, sorry to burst your bubble but EVERY REGION outside of the South East receives a subvention.

It's how most countries distribute wealth... :rolleyes:

Stephen Ferguson

Unionists were opposed to Home Rule were they not?
So that means they were opposed to partition too?

:rolleyes:

That figure is of Nationalists only and the Life & Times figure is actually lower, 18%. Do you seriously believe only 18% of Nationalists support a United Ireland?
Of course.

There are cultural catholics/Irish who vote Sinn Fein or SDLP because they want to further the cause of the Irish language, Gaelic sports, catholic education. Many of these people understand they are far better off living in the UK (as the past few weeks have shown) and would never vote for a United Ireland.

there is no accurate way to poll the support for or against a United Ireland.
Apart from independent, annual polls specifically asking that question.....

But there are 2 parties in the North actively seeking a United Ireland, and these received just under 45% of the vote at the last election.
They also have other policies that might cause people to vote for them.....

Every election is not a border poll a chara.

DuineEile

This island is divided into two nations when it shouldn't be.

Judging by your location as County Londonderry I can take it you're a unionist. Im interested to hear a unionist's views for a change.
A Fine Gaeler interested to hear unionist views "for a change"?

Ur 'avin a laff. Fine Gael are only interested in unionist views. Long ago, ye reached yer hands so far across the divide ye fell over the other side.

D

deirdrem

What kind of moron would want to take NI out of the UK into a soon-to-be third world country anyway?? Most of NI's Nationalists won't even touch you now after the past fortnight. They know what side their bread is buttered on!

Give it up!!
Are you sure that the 6 counties need to leave the uk to receive 3rd world status?
I heard that the brits were doing their level best to drag their state into the 3rd world all on their own.

Certainly my experience of travelling in Germany, France and britland would be that it's already in the 2nd world and that if they keep going the way they are it will slide into the 3rd.
An unfortunate fact is that much of england's wealth grew out of a captive market in the "empire". Once that went, nobody wanted to buy their products because they were mostly 2nd rate.
Shipbuilding went, and also cars: morris, austin, wolseley, etc. Motorbikes eg BSA also went. Sad, but true.
I wonder how much of the trouble in the 6 counties was due to the fact that the shipyards and the linen industries were run down after WWII, with the result that the industrial base was going, and there were fewer and fewer jobs available to go around.
Now that the "security industry" is also being run down, things look bleak yet again. It's a tough time to be a unionist, I'd say. And a very tough time to be a middle-class unionist with so few prospects.

diy01

Agreed - and you can blame the 1916 nutters.
You should never have left the UK.
The idea of being/remaining in the UK never had the support of the majority of the population (as distinct from voters) at any point from 1800. Restricting the vote for so long took care of that...for a time. The end result was always going to be either partition or full scale independence.

The Union only benefited a select few. It was ever thus.

Stephen Ferguson

Are you sure that the 6 counties need to leave the uk to receive 3rd world status?
I heard that the brits were doing their level best to drag their state into the 3rd world all on their own.

Certainly my experience of travelling in Germany, France and britland would be that it's already in the 2nd world and that if they keep going the way they are it will slide into the 3rd.
An unfortunate fact is that much of england's wealth grew out of a captive market in the "empire". Once that went, nobody wanted to buy their products because they were mostly 2nd rate.
Shipbuilding went, and also cars: morris, austin, wolseley, etc. Motorbikes eg BSA also went. Sad, but true.
I wonder how much of the trouble in the 6 counties was due to the fact that the shipyards and the linen industries were run down after WWII, with the result that the industrial base was going, and there were fewer and fewer jobs available to go around.
Now that the "security industry" is also being run down, things look bleak yet again. It's a tough time to be a unionist, I'd say. And a very tough time to be a middle-class unionist with so few prospects.

RahenyFG

So that means they were opposed to partition too?

:rolleyes:

Of course.

There are cultural catholics/Irish who vote Sinn Fein or SDLP because they want to further the cause of the Irish language, Gaelic sports, catholic education. Many of these people understand they are far better off living in the UK (as the past few weeks have shown) and would never vote for a United Ireland.

Apart from independent, annual polls specifically asking that question.....

They also have other policies that might cause people to vote for them.....

Every election is not a border poll a chara.
I believe a part of the Good Friday Agreement states a United Ireland poll to be held every 20 or 30 years or something. I think every 10 to 15 years would be better, I'd like to see what the outcome would have been in the mid 2000s when support for a United Ireland, when the Irish economy was booming and opinion polls in the republic and mainland Britain gave a United Ireland a large majority for it.

Unfortunately, economic recessions do put back independence plans, support for scottish independence has dropped dramatically since the recession, or re-uniting countries, the island of Ireland in this case.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom