• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Boxers and the Betting

TheField

It was widely reported a week or so ago that two of our Olympic athletes who are boxers were involved in placing 'inapproriate' bets at Rio 2016.
Rio 2016: Two Irish boxers investigated over betting - BBC News
Irish boxers investigated for betting during Olympic Games
etc.

Anyone know what has happened since? The story seems to have died a death or gone underground.

I think as the public taxpayers who funded these athletes, we are due answers to the following basic questions:

1) Who placed these bets?
2) When did they place them?
3) What was the nature of these bets and
4) Who were they betting on?

It's been reported that Paddy Barnes and Michael Conlon deny any involvement so the finger of suspicion must be hanging over the other 8.

Why have we not been told by now or maybe I've missed it? I hope the answers do not include the unthinkable.

Seanie Lemass

There was definitely dodgy betting, but had not heard it involved any of the boxers themselves. Friend of mine won several thousand on a random patent bet on long odds outsiders purely on basis that so many fights were being decided weirdly against favourites.

Betting scams always leave a trail so should be easy to trace who it was.

Wagmore

It was widely reported a week or so ago that two of our Olympic athletes who are boxers were involved in placing 'inapproriate' bets at Rio 2016.
Rio 2016: Two Irish boxers investigated over betting - BBC News
Irish boxers investigated for betting during Olympic Games
etc.

Anyone know what has happened since? The story seems to have died a death or gone underground.

I think as the public taxpayers who funded these athletes, we are due answers to the following basic questions:

1) Who placed these bets?
2) When did they place them?
3) What was the nature of these bets and
4) Who were they betting on?

It's been reported that Paddy Barnes and Michael Conlon deny any involvement so the finger of suspicion must be hanging over the other 8.

Why have we not been told by now or maybe I've missed it? I hope the answers do not include the unthinkable.
Now that would be funny-the gnashing of teeth out in Montrose would be audible

ireallyshouldknowbetter

It would hardly be a surprise. Individual sports are particularly vulnerable to betting scams. At the lower levels, tennis is absolutely rife with it.

TheField

My reckoning is that it's either a simple 'slip up' and not relevant to Rio at all. Or that there is a big scandal and the powers that be are trying to get as much time as possible to minimise the impact.

toughbutfair

In any event , great to see Ireland's best boxer , Conlon turn pro. I think he has the potential to be the Islands greatest ever (mcGuigan or Collins at the moment ) . I think his footwork his excellent although obviously he'll need to adapt it for the pro game.

TheField

Well, bumpty bump - one week on, has anyone heard any news about the boxers & betting at the Olympics??

TheField

Near enough another week gone and has anyone any advance on this???

In the absence of information to the public, can we speculate?

Were these boxers betting against themselves????

Was Katie Taylor involved????

Answers???

TheField

Rio fallout: Boxer Steven Donnelly bet against himself at Olympics - Independent.ie

Some news at last on this: boxers Michael Conlon and Stephen Donnelly implicated.

- Conlon who was a disgrace in how he reacted to his bout, denied any involvement in this as reported above to BBC NI. Now it turns out he can't even be believed.

- Stephen Donnelly bet against himself and won........... or lost depending on how you look at it.

- meanwhile Paddy Barnes has turned pro and signed up to the boxing promoter in Spain, who is/ was prominently involved in the ongoing gang feuds.

All boxers above funded by Irish taxpayers over last number of years. Time to stop public funding to this organisation. They don't deserve a penny. :(

Fractional Reserve

There was definitely dodgy betting, but had not heard it involved any of the boxers themselves. Friend of mine won several thousand on a random patent bet on long odds outsiders purely on basis that so many fights were being decided weirdly against favourites.

Betting scams always leave a trail so should be easy to trace who it was.
patent is a great bet , hard to get up , i have nailed it a couple of times

Fractional Reserve

In any event , great to see Ireland's best boxer , Conlon turn pro. I think he has the potential to be the Islands greatest ever (mcGuigan or Collins at the moment ) . I think his footwork his excellent although obviously he'll need to adapt it for the pro game.
he has a bit to go to be as good as the Jackal Frampton , Barnes is in a handier weight division to get World title

TheField

Seems that any sanctions will be meaningless unless either of them want to represent Ireland in Tokyo in 2020.

So two fingers to us.

Given the debacle as well over Sports Ireland and the departure of Billy Walsh etc., I'd hope that funding will be reduced drastically to boxing here. That is, until they get their house in order; are accountable to the taxpayer and carry themselves with appropriate respect when they represent the country.

cricket

Conlon should do very well in the pro ranks, a classy boxer. He has extraordinary speed as well, an absolute must as a pro.

Orbit v2

Rio fallout: Boxer Steven Donnelly bet against himself at Olympics - Independent.ie

Some news at last on this: boxers Michael Conlon and Stephen Donnelly implicated.

- Conlon who was a disgrace in how he reacted to his bout, denied any involvement in this as reported above to BBC NI. Now it turns out he can't even be believed.

- Stephen Donnelly bet against himself and won........... or lost depending on how you look at it.

- meanwhile Paddy Barnes has turned pro and signed up to the boxing promoter in Spain, who is/ was prominently involved in the ongoing gang feuds.

All boxers above funded by Irish taxpayers over last number of years. Time to stop public funding to this organisation. They don't deserve a penny. :(
Donnelly bet against himself, but won the bout and therefore lost the best.

Conlon signed all the forms, but didn't read them. So, he wasn't aware of the rules.
I actually believe them. It's just so incredibly 'Irish'.

F**ked up, but so familiar!

gerhard dengler

Even though the bets were (relatively) small, if the bets were successful they stood to win a lot of money.

On every single level this betting scandal is wrong.
Competitors should not be placing any bets on competitions in which they are participating.

The fact that the bets were small, or that the bets were unsuccessful, doesn't mitigate what Conlon and Donnelly were doing.

Fractional Reserve

Even though the bets were (relatively) small, if the bets were successful they stood to win a lot of money.

Competitors should not be placing any bets on competitions in which they are participating.

The fact that the bets were small, or that the bets were unsuccessful, doesn't mitigate what Conlon and Donnelly were doing.
Gerhard ,
It is wrong but it happens in every sport , professional golfers , jockey , boxers , football are constantly at it . its as easy as pie to do and get away with it

Jack Walsh

I think if you want to have a bet you should be allowed to but betting against yourself or your team is the pits and he should get more than a fine.

On a wider scale and I will be careful how I phrase this.
A number of the Irish boxing team have shown themselves to be pretty dense in recent months.
Conlon and Barnes although talented and dedicated to their game look and act like two dreadfully naive children.
Their decision to join the Kinahans shows they lack any sort of smarts outside the ring.

Matt Macklin should also get on with his life away from that sewer before it drags him down or God forbid worse.

ireallyshouldknowbetter

That is already the case in pretty much every single sport. But naturally people have friends and family who can place bets for them, so it is incredibly easy to get around it. It is the sort of crime that's literally impossible to prevent short of banning betting altogether.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies