The Brave Men of the IRA and their hatred for women......

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffykontbiscuits

***Pleae note Im being sarcastic in my introduction in insinuating the men are brave***

I notice the heros of the Republican movement have a bit of a history of being women haters....bastions of left wing republicanism . Looking at remarks made by some people do you honestly believe some of the women mentioned in the article below deserved to be shot? The article is a few years old but still illustrates

-The hypocrisy of Shinners
-The scumbags that inhabit the paramilitaries

SF's O Snodaigh 'forgets' women butchered by IRA - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Would you want these men fighting for your Republic? I wouldnt....

eoghanacht

OOh look

It's from Sir Anto's stable. Think i'll pass

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
***Pleae note Im being sarcastic in my introduction in insinuating the men are brave***

I notice the heros of the Republican movement have a bit of a history of being women haters....bastions of left wing republicanism . Looking at remarks made by some people do you honestly believe some of the women mentioned in the article below deserved to be shot? The article is a few years old but still illustrates

-The hypocrisy of Shinners
-The scumbags that inhabit the paramilitaries

SF's O Snodaigh 'forgets' women butchered by IRA - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

Would you want these men fighting for your Republic? I wouldnt....
If they joined the Brits and done similiar but on a vastly greater scale in Iraq and Afghanistan you'd be telling us to wear a poppy for the 'heros' :rolleyes:

fluffykontbiscuits

If they joined the Brits and done similiar but on a vastly greater scale in Iraq and Afghanistan you'd be telling us to wear a poppy for the 'heros' :rolleyes:
Actually I wouldnt no, I think voilence of any sort is despicable. I dont mind if someone was killed in self defence slab, a person may do what they want to do to defend themselves against an agressor. However the women referenced in the article hardly carried grenade launchers did they?

fluffykontbiscuits

Actually Slab , in your opinion, are these people referenced above heros? Tell me yes or no......

(Im betting you will ignore the question or call it stupid).....

SevenStars

I know I can sometimes be over the top but lets face it....Your average IRA volunteer during the last northern insurgency wasnt. They were ordinary working and small farmer class men and women who had did "choose" to pick up the gun but for the most part did so out of necesscity. Someone had to the defend their communities....The Free State sure wasnt going to do it.

Fluffy wassums was emoting last night about the bugle at the Poppy ceremonial in London...And now comes on here and has a go at people willing to endure torture and death not for money but out of social duty alone. Its pretty sickening.

SevenStars

Its interesting how many IRA volunteers were money and hardly any if at all Loyalist paramilitaries were female...Republicanism has always been a lot more "feminine" (which is far from being the same as "effeminate") than Unionism/Loyalism.

ne0ica

Its interesting how many IRA volunteers were money and hardly any if at all Loyalist paramilitaries were female...Republicanism has always been a lot more "feminine" (which is far from being the same as "effeminate") than Unionism/Loyalism.
That's an interesting point. But I have read how feminism and women's rights were considered a 'tague' thing within the Unionist/Loyalist communities especially in fundamentalist Protestant circles.

former wesleyan

I know I can sometimes be over the top but lets face it....Your average IRA volunteer during the last northern insurgency wasnt.
They were ordinary working and small farmer class men and women who had did "choose" to pick up the gun but for the most part did so out of necesscity. Someone had to the defend their communities....
The Free State sure wasnt going to do it.

Fluffy wassums was emoting last night about the bugle at the Poppy ceremonial in London...And now comes on here and has a go at people willing to endure torture and death not for money but out of social duty alone. Its pretty sickening.
Really ! None of those I grew up among fitted that profile.

Green eyed monster

OOh look

It's from Sir Anto's stable. Think i'll pass
They have a one-track mind about Republicans.

In a conflict, if a woman is killed by Republicans then they are like Bundy. If a Protestant dies it was sectarian. If a Jewish person dies it is antisemitism (from Cruimh's topic).

These loyalist rags will never address the victims of the Loyalists, the RUC, B-Specials or the British army during the Troubles or the fact that most of their victims had no association with the conflict or with any military or paramilitary aspect of it.

Funny thing is, for the way their one-track mind causes them to temporarily graft to a piece of PC lore this is the newspaper group that once had a female shock jock columnist who laughed and mocked the mentally and physically disabled... Another of their star columnists contributed to the BNP (and the same one made some racist comments about Irish genetics). Another is a lovey of the Orange Order and all that that represents (no women, no taigs).

Actually I wouldnt no, I think voilence of any sort is despicable. I dont mind if someone was killed in self defence slab, a person may do what they want to do to defend themselves against an agressor. However the women referenced in the article hardly carried grenade launchers did they?
Neither did most of those killed in that act of spectacular aggression known as the Iraq war (and even if they did carry them, they carried them in their own country which is more justifiable than any single British invader carrying any weapon in Iraq).

Last edited:

SevenStars

That's an interesting point. But I have read how feminism and women's rights were considered a 'tague' thing within the Unionist/Loyalist communities especially in fundamentalist Protestant circles.
Well what wasnt a "tague" thing??? Thats thing about Unionism is that its a pure reaction to what is perceived as Irish Republicanism which covers everything from the Oxford Movement to Anarchism.

However I dont think its down to fundamentalism as most fundies tend to be zealously apolitical and even are opposed to such things as the Orange Order because of its pagan/Freemasonic overtones.

I read an interesting essay recently on Empires and Imperialism which pointed out that though women often make for fierce nationalists they are rather indifferent to Empire...Though that said Unionism in the 6 counties is a weird mixture of Ulster Nationalism and British Imperialism.

fluffykontbiscuits

They have a one-track mind about Republicans.

In a conflict, if a woman is killed by Republicans then they are like Bundy. If a Protestant dies it was sectarian. If a Jewish person dies it is antisemitism (from Cruimh's topic).

These loyalist rags will never address the victims of the Loyalists, the RUC, B-Specials or the British army during the Troubles or the fact that most of their victims had no association with the conflict or with any military or paramilitary aspect of it.

Funny thing is, for the way their one-track mind causes them to temporarily graft to a piece of PC lore this is the newspaper group that once had a female shock jock columnist who laughed and mocked the mentally and physically disabled... Another of their star columnists contributed to the BNP (and the same one made some racist comments about Irish genetics). Another is a lovey of the Orange Order and all that that represents (no women, no taigs).

Neither did most of those killed in that act of spectacular aggression known as the Iraq war (and even if they did carry them, they carried them in their own country which is more justifiable than any single British invader carrying any weapon in Iraq).

I remember being kicked out of a pub in the US for categorically telling them what I thought of American foreign policy (I was galvinised even further when I saw Brian De Palma's Red Acton) however Im focusing on whether the IRA as people some of you saw as heros are heros for shooting innocent women. Your comparison to Orange Lodges is hilarious, you dont get shot for wanting to be in an OO Lodge.

SevenStars
I know I can sometimes be over the top but lets face it....Your average IRA volunteer during the last northern insurgency wasnt. They were ordinary working and small farmer class men and women who had did "choose" to pick up the gun but for the most part did so out of necesscity. Someone had to the defend their communities....The Free State sure wasnt going to do it.

If the UK was killing Catholics up the North then I would say your actions were justified perhaps in protecting your community however these people were innocents in a lot of cases or were informers, they were not the ones holding the guns directly. The same goes for UDA/UVF squads,anyone considering these people heros needs their heads examined.....

SevenStars

If the UK was killing Catholics up the North then I would say your actions were justified perhaps in protecting your community however these people were innocents in a lot of cases or were informers, they were not the ones holding the guns directly. The same goes for UDA/UVF squads,anyone considering these people heros needs their heads examined.....
You should read up your Kitson fluffy wassums....The extra-legal counter insurgency forces and their random violence were a vital part of the British war effort...It was the UDA/UVF who ultimately put down the last northern uprising. Also most those executed as informers were just that. There were careful investigations and as fair as possible trials under the circumstances...Remember the guerrilla needs his or her people as they need him or her. Randomly bumping off would have alienated the armed national liberation forces from their base and would have allowed the Brits to take them out much, much eariler.

fluffykontbiscuits

You should read up your Kitson fluffy wassums....The extra-legal counter insurgency forces and their random violence were a vital part of the British war effort...It was the UDA/UVF who ultimately put down the last northern uprising. Also most those executed as informers were just that. There were careful investigations and as fair as possible trials under the circumstances...Remember the guerrilla needs his or her people as they need him or her. Randomly bumping off would have alienated the armed national liberation forces from their base and would have allowed the Brits to take them out much, much eariler.

So honey all those shot were not at random but were all informers? Can you categorically state that is true?

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Actually Slab , in your opinion, are these people referenced above heros? Tell me yes or no......

(Im betting you will ignore the question or call it stupid).....
If someone is a rat whether they are male or female, they deserve everything they get. I don't beieve in sexist discrimination for rats.

Simples.

Scipio

I'm sure there are more reliable sources on this subject than that biased rag that calls itself the Irish Independent.

As far as I can see the Republican movement had (and has had since the turn of the century) a surpisingly high level of female involvement in their activities, certainly more than Unionists, or the Irish or British states.

The original article seems to be making a value judgement on women killed by the IRA, rather than the role of women in general in the "struggle". Indeed it states towards the end:

The IRA unit that murdered Gillian Johnston was led by a woman who later emerged as a member of Sinn Fein.

damon

If someone is a rat whether they are male or female, they deserve everything they get. I don't beieve in sexist discrimination for rats.
Some loyalist killers thought of all catholics as being rats. Certainly all republicans.
The Interahamwe in Rwanda called Tutsi people cockroaches.
It's easier to kill a person when you have dehumanised them I suppose.
Is a rat someone who grasses to the police?
Like in some people's minds, it's seen as dishonorable to grass or 'tout' for any reason whatsoever. Even to give the police information about people who were plaguing the community.?
So anyone who rang in to the PSNI and said they knew the identity of the guy on the bicycle who through the hand grenade at them in west Belfast last week, nearly taking a mans arm of and maiiming him for life .... to make that phone call would make you a rat. Is that right Slab?

But still, I wouldn't call the Provos particularly misogynistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies