• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The British killed Patrice Lumumba

parentheses

Oh dear, yet another crime to add to the catalogue of British misdeeds.

Of course, ever since then, the DR Congo has been one of the most unfortunate countries on earth, ruthlessly exploited by western companies and suffering wars in which millions have died.

British spies admitted helping to organise the detention and execution of the first prime minister of the Democratic Republic of Congo in the 1960s, a peer has claimed.
MI6 organised execution of DRC leader Lumumba, peer claims - Telegraph

Kev408

I'm sorry but I genuinely thought that this was about the footballer Fabrice Muamba. Time for me to go to the scratcher.

Edit: there is so much more that our neighbours have done. Convincing people can be a problem.

Catalpast

Oh dear, yet another crime to add to the catalogue of British misdeeds.

Of course, ever since then, the DR Congo has been one of the most unfortunate countries on earth, ruthlessly exploited by western companies and suffering wars in which millions have died.

MI6 organised execution of DRC leader Lumumba, peer claims - Telegraph
Patrice was the inadvertent author of his own capture and subsequent torture and death

The Brits played a hand though in his prior overthrow

Radix

Leave Enda out of this please!

Little_Korean

Well, so claimed. As the person who supposedly admitted it is now dead, it's hard to confirm unless someone takes advantage of the "30 year rule" to dig through the UK Public Record Office.

CookieMonster

Rather misleading title.

rapparree

to be fair the Congo was always going to be a mess with or without lumumba

I remember reading the number of native university graduates on independence (out of the population of 30 million) was in the double figures

thats aside from the other structural factors which hinder(ed) national development

Munnkeyman

The letter from David Lea is here. Rather flimsy evidence and a woefully inaccurate thread title to boot.

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

A great man.

A pity the "spreaders of democracy" didn't consider the Congo worthy of democracy, putting in one of Africa's most brutal and corrupt men into power, simply because he was anti-Communist.

R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba. His death signaled the beginning of the end for the Congo.

blokesbloke

I'm sorry but I genuinely thought that this was about the footballer Fabrice Muamba. Time for me to go to the scratcher.

Edit: there is so much more that our neighbours have done. Convincing people can be a problem.
Now, now Kev. No folksy, anecdotal bullshyte here, if you please.

Write your opinion, back it up with sources (where applicable and available) and leave your family/ your habits/your kitchen skills/ your mothering talents/your stupid little irrelevant asides, and so on, out of it. This is supposed to be a political debate website. Use the chat forum to get likes.

:p

The Owl

Now, now Kev. No folksy, anecdotal bullshyte here, if you please.

Write your opinion, back it up with sources (where applicable and available) and leave your family/ your habits/your kitchen skills/ your mothering talents/your stupid little irrelevant asides, and so on, out of it. This is supposed to be a political debate website. Use the chat forum to get likes.

:p
Titters and sniggers as she settles down with her cup of Cappuccino and reminds herself to send Blokesbloke a huge hug as soon as she gets back from the shops where there is a sale on at the moment in Dunnes of Easter bunnies. I'm buying one for the little girl, the only child in the complex, and one for myself which I will call Grumpy, no, I mean Kev408. Grumpy doesn't quite fit Kev, does it? More maniacal is our Kev408

Samsara

A great man.

A pity the "spreaders of democracy" didn't consider the Congo worthy of democracy, putting in one of Africa's most brutal and corrupt men into power, simply because he was anti-Communist.

R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba. His death signaled the beginning of the end for the Congo.

Interesting watch :
DESCRIPTION

This documentary tells the story of how the United Nations, from 1960 to 1962, waged an unprovoked war against the anti-Communist state of Katanga and forced it under the control of the Communist-puppet state of the Central Congo (now called Zaire).

In later years, top UN personnel boasted in their public speeches and books how they pretended to be merely preserving law and order, while actually carrying out a military operation to crush the tiny nation - all in the name of peace. The great irony in this was that the free world was told - and the American people firmly believed - that the UN army had been sent to the Congo to "protect it from Communism."

The reason this story needs to be told after all these years is that we have not seen the last of the UN "peace-keeping" forces. Unless Congress puts a stop to what is now called The New World Order, we are going to see UN army used more and more to bring its peculiar brand of peace to the world. And the best way to envision that future is to know the past.
watchdocumentary.org/watch/katanga-the-untold-story-of-un-betrayal-video_7b98beebf.html