The Budget 2007

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Pidge said:
rockofcashel said:
Just on what Norfolk Enchants posted before being locked out on another thread.

Is he correct in saying that the Health Levy is increasing on all levels of income by 2.5% ?

If true, this means that the increase in HL will wipe out any effect in decrease in income tax, and hit lower taxpayers by a greater proportionate level then higher income earners
I am also increasing the threshold for the payments of the health levy from €440 per week to €480 per week, or just under €25,000 per year. This means that all workers earning €480 or less per week will be exempt from the health levy.
[quote:eek:px6lvhf]I propose to increase the Health Levy from 2 per cent to 2½ per cent on income exceeding €1,925 per week or just over €100,000 per year. This extra money will help fund services such as long-term care initiatives for the elderly. We need to act now to secure such funds and I believe it is only right that those best able to afford it make an increased contribution.

This will raise €34 million in a full year.
[/quote:eek:px6lvhf]

Cheers...

mind you, when SF were suggesting increasing for those earning more than 100,000 we were thought of as the wreckers of civilisation

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
hiker said:
Rivershannon said:
Criticism on Radio 1 in relation to mortgage relief and Stamp Duty
:shock: :shock:
Thats FG's answer Hiker ...

Radio 1 criticised it .. so it must be bad.

And they call themselves an opposition.

ryano

hiker said:
He is tinkering around the edges in some things but my guess is that he thinks the punters are not true Greens, merely "environmentally concerned" and that this will sway them.
He'd better hope they're also not too concerned at the prospect of paying with their taxes for our failure to reduce carbon emissions:
Brian Cowen said:
The Government has indicated its intention to purchase up to 18 million tonnes of carbon allowances in respect of the Kyoto commitment period 2008 to 2012. I provided an initial €20 million in last year's Budget and just recently the Dáil approved the investment of this money in emission-reduction projects in the emerging economies in Eastern Europe.

I am now indicating that a further €270 million will be provided to fund a programme of purchases up to 2013 and this will be reflected in the Government’s medium-term investment programme to be set out in the forthcoming National Development Plan.

XRoot

Rivershannon said:

' Too little , will be gobbled up by interest rate increases, people will be disappointed'

Miseed commentators name but not a politico
Quite.

I'll be using my extra €66 a month to stock up on tins of Lidl baked beans.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
hiker said:
rockofcashel said:

Is he correct in saying that the Health Levy is increasing on all levels of income by 2.5% ?

If true, this means that the increase in HL will wipe out any effect in decrease in income tax, and hit lower taxpayers by a greater proportionate level then higher income earners
Only if you earn over €100,000.

Do you earn over 100 grand,RoC? :shock:

So Commisar Harney has finally managed to introduce a "wealth tax", something even "New" Labour in Britain have been afraid to do.

cYp

hiker

ryano said:
hiker said:
He is tinkering around the edges in some things but my guess is that he thinks the punters are not true Greens, merely "environmentally concerned" and that this will sway them.
He'd better hope they're also not too concerned at the prospect of paying with their taxes for our failure to reduce carbon emissions:
Brian Cowen said:
The Government has indicated its intention to purchase up to 18 million tonnes of carbon allowances in respect of the Kyoto commitment period 2008 to 2012. I provided an initial €20 million in last year's Budget and just recently the Dáil approved the investment of this money in emission-reduction projects in the emerging economies in Eastern Europe.

I am now indicating that a further €270 million will be provided to fund a programme of purchases up to 2013 and this will be reflected in the Government’s medium-term investment programme to be set out in the forthcoming National Development Plan.
That, I might suggest, is now your job.

Pidge

cyberianpan said:
hiker said:
rockofcashel said:

So Commisar Harney has finally managed to introduce a "wealth tax", something even "New" Labour in Britain have been afraid to do.

cYp
You don't possibly mean that those with a greater ability to pay more do so?!? Sheer madness!

And this isn't a "wealth tax".

ryano

Johnny said:
hiker said:
hiker said:
Mortgage interest releif doubled for FTBers.
this one is interesting.
It seems it will be available retrospectivly for seven years?
Is this for real??
I don't think he means it will be backdated, but if you're a first-time-buyer in the first seven years of your mortgage you can claim this relief.

barrym

PinkoLeftie said:
hiker said:
He is currently annihilating the reason for the Green Party's existance.
By buying carbon credits and very vaguely introducing a plan to link VRT to carbon dioxide emmissions at some unspecified time in the furture?
...and making sure the SUV brigade will have plenty of time to buy (another?) one, the 'discussions' on increasing VRT for gas guzzlers doesn't start 'til March!!

Bye, Barry

barrym

Rivershannon said:

' Too little , will be gobbled up by interest rate increases, people will be disappointed'

Miseed commentators name but not a politico
Yes, it was made twice, once by Rapple and then by the Vincent de Paul!!

FakeViking

I started to listen to Biffo, then entered a deep coma and have just emerged. What a dreadful presentation!

Biffo

PinkoLeftie said:
hiker said:
He is currently annihilating the reason for the Green Party's existance.
By buying carbon credits and very vaguely introducing a plan to link VRT to carbon dioxide emmissions at some unspecified time in the furture?
Few things here, what is the alternative to buying carbon emmission credits? Also the proposals on VRT are radical when you consider what is being proposed in the small print :
a) introduce a new band for smaller engine cars up to 1200cc at 15%
b) reduce the current A1 VRT rate of 22.5% to 20% for cars 1201 to 1400cc
c) introduce a new band for larger engine vehicles over 2400 at 35% VRT rate.

ryano

Biffo said:
Few things here, what is the alternative to buying carbon emmission credits?
Um, reducing carbon emissions? Just a thought.

Also the proposals on VRT are radical when you consider what is being proposed in the small print :
Anything which isn't due to come in until 2008 can be accorded the same status as an election promise.

Biffo

rockofcashel said:
But being honest though, its kind of sad watching them all whooping and hollering.

They're giving me my money back (or in some cases taking less next year) .. big deal
What did you expect, maybe if a picture of some dead person and a tri-colour were unveiled you and your sort could stand dreary-eyed looking at it - the things that matter!

Biffo

ryano said:
Biffo said:
Few things here, what is the alternative to buying carbon emmission credits?
Um, reducing carbon emissions? Just a thought.
The government have set ambitious targets in that regard but you cannot just click your fingers. In an economy such as ours a flat carbon tax on business would reduce employment.

Also the proposals on VRT are radical when you consider what is being proposed in the small print :
Anything which isn't due to come in until 2008 can be accorded the same status as an election promise.[/quote]

Along the lines of pushing the pension above €200 then.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Biffo said:
rockofcashel said:
But being honest though, its kind of sad watching them all whooping and hollering.

They're giving me my money back (or in some cases taking less next year) .. big deal
What did you expect, maybe if a picture of some dead person and a tri-colour were unveiled you and your sort could stand dreary-eyed looking at it - the things that matter!
Hmm the old "your sort" comments again.

What I am saying Biffo, is that it was a reasonable enough budget.. nothing sticking out here, nothing sticking out there .. i'll study it a bit deeper when I've time, and give a better analysis to it.

However, hearing the FF ministers, and backbenchers roaring like children at every line, conjured up images of children at a circus cheering a clown every time he fell on his ar*se. It was hardly what you'd expect from such well paid parliamentarians now, was it ?

As for wrapping dead men in a tri-colour, how much did he put aside for the return and state funeral of the "Manchester Martyrs" next year ?

Or has Bertie a few buddies in Manchester picking the tab up for that ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Pidge said:
cyberianpan said:
hiker said:
rockofcashel said:

cYp
You don't possibly mean that those with a greater ability to pay more do so?!? Sheer madness!

And this isn't a "wealth tax".

But they already pay more - if you earn more you pay more, as is 3 bands of tax was bad enough (pay none, pay a bit & marginal) - now there are 4. What next - just take all the income off people over 100k ?

Why should someone be forced to pay more just because they can be milked ? Were they asked ? This is an injust increase, sorta like saying lets steal a little money from that man because he has a lot. Mob rule with Commisar Harney leading the charge.

cYp

ryano

cyberianpan said:
Why should someone be forced to pay more just because they can be milked ? Were they asked ? This is an injust increase, sorta like saying lets steal a little money from that man because he has a lot. Mob rule with Commisar Harney leading the charge.
Every elected representative in the Dáil supports progressive taxation, so we can assume the policy has some measure of support. If you'd prefer a flat tax then I trust you will vote for candidates who go forward on that platform, or indeed run yourself.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies