• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

THE BUDGET - The Health related hikes and cuts

robut

Department of Health to get extra €150m - The Irish Times - Wed, Dec 05, 2012

- Increase in the prescription charge from 50 cent to €1.50 per item.

- The monthly threshold at which the charge is capped is also being increased from €10 to €19.50

- The monthly threshold for people claiming relief on costs under the Drug Payment Scheme is also being put up €132 to €144

- Access to medical cards for over-70s is being restricted. Individuals with an income of €600-700 per week (€1,200-1,400 for a couple) will now qualify only for a GP-only card rather than the full card.
The one that will hit a certain community bad is the hike in threshold for the Drug Payment Scheme from €132 to €144 PER MONTH. In our case my wife had a kidney transplant in 2009 and has to have drugs ( anti rejection etc ) that exceeds this threshold for ever or she doesnt live. Now we have to find another €12 per month for ever on top of the €132 that it was. This scheme also rose last two budgets. I suppose they keep hitting this because it is a minority of people affected relatively? Those with transplants and long term medical issues that require them to have these drugs to stay alive.

Last edited:

bonkers

The one that will hit a certain community bad is the hike in threshold for the Drug Payment Scheme from €132 to €144 PER MONTH. In our case my wife had a kidney transplant in 2009 and has to have drugs ( anti rejection etc ) that exceeds this threshold for ever or she doesnt live. Now we have to find another €12 per month for ever on top of the €132 that it was. This scheme also rose last two budgets. I suppose they keep hitting this because it is a minority of people affected relatively? Those with transplants and long term medical issues that require them to have to have these drugs to stay alive.
Reilly pledged to do away with the prescription charge before the last election. Another broken election promise. It's going to cost me €14.50 a month now. I suppose you wouldn't expect less from the lying FG scum.

hammer

Reilly pledged to do away with the prescription charge before the last election. Another broken election promise. It's going to cost me €14.50 a month now. I suppose you wouldn't expect less from the lying FG scum.
What was before today ?

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

The one that will hit a certain community bad is the hike in threshold for the Drug Payment Scheme from €132 to €144 PER MONTH. In our case my wife had a kidney transplant in 2009 and has to have drugs ( anti rejection etc ) that exceeds this threshold for ever or she doesnt live. Now we have to find another €12 per month for ever on top of the €132 that it was. This scheme also rose last two budgets. I suppose they keep hitting this because it is a minority of people affected relatively? Those with transplants and long term medical issues that require them to have to have these drugs to stay alive.
I am sure they watch the payments out and raise the amount to eliminate the most claims. I have, in 10 years, only made the threshold once. As soon as I might get close, they raise it. That affects you indirectly but it is not aimed at you, but people like me.

bonkers

Try €144 per month :(
I know. It's very tough for you. When I could work I had to pay that too. I'm very lucky to have the med. card. When I started on the dps scheme, it was 32 punt a month. Does your wife not qualify for the long term scheme?

Skypeme

I know. It's very tough for you. When I could work I had to pay that too. I'm very lucky to have the med. card. When I started on the dps scheme, it was 32 punt a month. Does your wife not qualify for the long term scheme?
Grim stuff, its only when you hear individual stories you realise the impact of the stroke of a pen.

ManOfReason

€4.50 plus. If I don't get the tablets, I'm dead.
And what is the retail value of the drugs - in other words do you know how much the taxpayer is saving you?

bonkers

And what is the retail value of the drugs - in other words do you know how much the taxpayer is saving you?
I was a taxpayer for all my life. I didn't want to become seriously ill. The taxpayer is saving my life, I'm very sorry I've become a burden. Maybe I should top myself, would that make you happy?

damus

Can somebody explain why people under the LTI scheme continue to get their meds free of charge without incurring the same levy as people under the GMS? Take for example a person who is suffering from insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. If that person is working and their income is deemed to be above the means threshold for eligibility to the GMS, that person will pay nothing for any of their drugs or equipment necessary for managing their diabetes regardless. Compare and contrast with a person who gets their drugs under the GMS system, who despite having been assessed to be a person with limited means, have to incur the GMS levy for each item that is dispensed under the GMS for diabetes.

Aside from the increase in the DPS, does anybody know if there's been an increase in ED charges and inpatient/daycase fees?

robut

Afraid not - that Long Term Illness Scheme list hasnt been updated since the 70s apparently:

HSE.ie - Health Service Executive Website - Your Guide to the Long-Term Illness Scheme

Acute Leukaemia, Mental handicap, Cerebral Palsy, Mental Illness (in a person under 16), Cystic Fibrosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Diabetes Insipidus, Muscular Dystrophies, Diabetes Mellitus, Parkinsonism, Epilepsy, Phenylketonuria, Haemophilia, Spina Bifida, Hydrocephalus, Conditions arising from the use of Thalidomide.
I think they assume that most who are after a transplant of any sort are older and/or are on a medical card .. That is not the case. This DPS has been hit year on year now without much fanfare. Its one of these things that you do not understand or know its significance unless you are affected by an illness event that forces you on expensive medicine that you have to have to stay alive. This is not an optional thing. Have medicine daily you live, dont have this medicine daily you die, thats it!

Observer

The medical conditions that qualify under the Long Term Illness Scheme are:

Mental handicap
Mental illness (for people under 16 only)
Diabetes insipidus
Diabetes mellitus
Haemophilia
Cerebral palsy
Phenylketonuria
Epilepsy
Cystic fibrosis
Multiple sclerosis
Spina bifida
Muscular dystrophies
Hydrocephalus
Parkinsonism
Acute leukaemia
Conditions arising from use of Thalidomide
Long Term Illness Scheme

What robut said above. I'm in the same boat, but I'm lucky enough to be in a well-paid job where the extra €12 is a nuisance rather than a crisis. But the talk about free GP care for the chronically ill (or anyone else) is just a sick joke at this stage.

Killerbank

Same old lazy uncaring measures hitting the sick:

Increasing the monthly prescription charge AGAIN: now up to €144 per month EVERY MONTH for those on long term medication*

(* only a narrow range of illnesses is covered by the so called Long Term Illnesses scheme, before some idiot brings that one up!)

Sibelius

Highly unfair. A member of my household suffers from a debilitating mental illness that will require life-long medication but such illnesses are not recognized as long-term illnesses so we have will to stump up €144 every month and I expect this will rise even more in the future.

Tea Shark

Not being funny it is still very cheap comparitive say to the UK - £7.65 per item on prescription.

That was fun when working there and needing a prescription for an asthma pump!

People forget how pampered many state "concessions" are here and that FG are now trying to rake back all that money they and FF spent buying votes.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies