The Budget & the National Interest

Dreaded_Estate

The government and the media seem to constantly repeat the mantra that it is "in the national interest" for the budget to be passed on the 7th of December.

However, I fail to see the logic behind the statement.

We are currently in the arms of the IMF, we will not be borrowing from the market for the next 3 years. Therefore the markets are irrelevant.

The EU/IMF were very keen for Ireland to avail of their support therefore I think it is extremely unlikely that they would pull the deal if there were a 3 week delay due to a general election.

To stabilize things in the interim some some of the banking measures could be enacted now prior to a full agreement.

So why exactly is it in the national interest for the budget to be passed on Dec 7th? And what would happen if we don't?

ifreannach

the language kinda reminds me of the brits and yanks justifying their wars of choice

what would happen mewonders, maybe the sky really would fall down

captainwillard

The government and the media seem to constantly repeat the mantra that it is "in the national interest" for the budget to be passed on the 7th of December.

However, I fail to see the logic behind the statement.

We are currently in the arms of the IMF, we will not be borrowing from the market for the next 3 years. Therefore the markets are irrelevant.

The EU/IMF were very keen for Ireland to avail of their support therefore I think it is extremely unlikely that they would pull the deal if there were a 3 week delay due to a general election.

To stabilize things in the interim some some of the banking measures could be enacted now prior to a full agreement.

So why exactly is it in the national interest for the budget to be passed on Dec 7th? And what would happen if we don't?

We need a budget to be passed as quickly as possible. Further delays creates even more uncertainty. It is in the national interest that a savage budget be passed at the earliest opportunity.

Everyone is now expecting the worst so let the worst happen... and now.

ifreannach

We need a budget to be passed as quickly as possible. Further delays creates even more uncertainty. It is in the national interest that a savage budget be passed at the earliest opportunity.

quick, the wolves are at the door, no dont think about it trust me im a politican...

Harmonica

I would agree if no election in sight. With an election just around the corner there is nothing to stop the new government having a new budget in a few months time so this budget is now irrelevant.

Old Irish

We probably wouldn't get the bailout if the budget wasn't voted in. I'm not sure though what the implications of the budget not being passed and not getting the bailout would necessarily mean for Ireland. Probably the collapse of the Euro and Ireland would have to leave the Euro or something like that maybe?? who knows. I would guess that it would be worse for Ireland if we don't pass this budget and don't get this bailout though although how can you trust anything Fianna Fail say or do especially these days.

Dreaded_Estate

We probably wouldn't get the bailout if the budget wasn't voted in. I'm not sure though what the implications of the budget not being passed and not getting the bailout would necessarily mean for Ireland. Probably the collapse of the Euro and Ireland would have to leave the Euro or something like that maybe?? who knows. I would guess that it would be worse for Ireland if we don't pass this budget and don't get this bailout though although how can you trust anything Fianna Fail say or do especially these days.

But why would the IMF/EU not give us a bailout if it would bring down the €.
Waiting 3 weeks while "technical discussions" continue and all the loose ends are tied up would hardy kill the process.

captainwillard

But why would the IMF/EU not give us a bailout if it would bring down the €.
Waiting 3 weeks while "technical discussions" continue and all the loose ends are tied up would hardy kill the process.
It is not going to happen so why talk about it? We have had months of so called preparation for this budget. It must be passed. We need to get the economy in order.

Three more weeks is three weeks of international uncertainty. How much more damage do we want?

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
For he sake of my sanity can we PLEASE PLEASE stop using the phrase "the national interest". This is the latest diversion, following "turning the corner" and "moving forward". The only interest worth worrying about is the interest of the people. The people who are now supposedly worried about "the national interest" were the ones who totally disregarded the people when the voted no to Lisbon. THAT was when we lost our sovereignty and everything we are no ding to appease the ECB and the EU is consequent to being sold down the river by these people.

danzatore

Who owns the most Irish bank and sovereign debt? Are they under financial duress elsewhere? The IMF intervention is surely about funnelling money to them. If they don't get it in time, what happens?

king5494

It's the Dept of Finance that do all the work on the budget what difference would it make who signs it after viewing all the different costing already for different options , it wouldn't take that long to push through a budget in a new dail that forgoes the 4 week Xmas bloody hols.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
A) The commie loving work dodgers in Labour would be hard pressed to shaft their fellow traveller layabouts in the PS
`
B) World markets are nervous, and Ireland doesn't deserve to keep them on tenterhooks for weeks

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
A) The commie loving work dodgers in Labour would be hard pressed to shaft their fellow traveller layabouts in the PS
`
B) World markets are nervous, and Ireland doesn't deserve to keep them on tenterhooks for weeks

Sexual Harassment Panda

`
So good you said it twice! Are you still a mod? Because I think most would expect moderators on this site to at least try and add to the debate, rather than rehash the sort of slurs and insults used most predominantly by the worst of the trolls here.

Get a clue.

Dreaded_Estate

`

A) How will the PS be shafted in the next budget as the government as agreed to abide by the the CPA

B) Well the government won't be borrowing for 3 years minimum. Pretty sure the ECB/ICB won't cut off the banks emergency funding in the short term.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com

theghost

Just as the power hungry wasters in FF would be hard pressed to shaft their fellow traveller banker and developer scum

Dreaded_Estate

captainwillard

For he sake of my sanity can we PLEASE PLEASE stop using the phrase "the national interest". This is the latest diversion, following "turning the corner" and "moving forward". The only interest worth worrying about is the interest of the people. The people who are now supposedly worried about "the national interest" were the ones who totally disregarded the people when the voted no to Lisbon. THAT was when we lost our sovereignty and everything we are no ding to appease the ECB and the EU is consequent to being sold down the river by these people.
You clearly have an aversion to the national interest. The PS deserve to get everything that is coming their way in the budget. I am really looking to that myself, having watched them pillage the country for the last decade.

MPB

We do not need to pass a budget quickly. In fact, as this particular budget is the most important in our history, our elected fools have a moral obligation to delay it until the citizens have had a chance to elect a Govt with a mandate.

The current crop of eejits are not mandated.

The IMF/EU loan negotiations should be put on hold until we are ready to put in place a negotiating team capable and credible enough to act on the nations behalf.

This team should not involve anybody from the Dept of Finance, the Central Bank or FF. They cannot be trusted to act on our behalf.

Anybody that even suggests that Irish taxpayers are liable for the debt of Private Irish Banks, should be arrested and put on trial for treason.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies