• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Budget

krayZpaving

Website
www.keith.gs
Minimum wage to be kept out of tax brackets. Top band of tax to be altered so average industrial wage is taxed at the standard rate.

qtman

Can't say I'm very impressed with much vaunted child care package:

extra €9 per month in child benefit
4 extra weeks paid maternity leave
€1,000 per annum payment for all children under 6

Hardly earthshattering is it?

krayZpaving

Website
www.keith.gs
No money for extra Gardaí, so that's the 2,000 extra Gardaí promise gone. No money to implement the Childrens' Act, so they're not bothered with Anti-Social Behaviour either.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
qtman said:

If thats all that's in the pot for childcare, while public serpents (sic.) get an extra 1.1 billion a year, then this is going ot blow up on FF bigtime. I've already had one committed FF voter swear he'll never vote FF again.

Maybe they intended leaving the really big rise to next year, closer to the election, but this could seriously backfire on them

qtman

rockofcashel said:
qtman said:

If thats all that's in the pot for childcare, while public serpents (sic.) get an extra 1.1 billion a year, then this is going ot blow up on FF bigtime. I've already had one committed FF voter swear he'll never vote FF again.

Maybe they intended leaving the really big rise to next year, closer to the election, but this could seriously backfire on them
He also included some stuff about increasing supply of places, but there aren't any details, and that won't register with the voters anyway.

damianob

Website
www.askdirect.ie
There's also a figure of €790 million investment in childcare over 4 years.

There are some good things in there, but there's an awful lot missing. It looks like Cowen has spread himself too thinly in a bid to please everyone. It would have been better to really focus on a couple of key things and deal with them properly.

At least the stud fee tax relief is going .... but not until 2008!

Maximus

Budget 2006

Personal Taxation
Standard rate income tax band goes up by €2,600 – to €32,000
Employee credit rising by €220 a year to €1,800
Minimum wage to remain outside the tax net in 2006

Customs, Excise & VAT Rates
No increase in cost of cigarettes
No increase in price of pint
No increase in petrol
No increase in diesel
Excise rate on home heating oil to be cut in half

Childcare
New Early Childcare Supplement - €1000 per year for each child up to his or her sixth birthday
Monthly child benefit rate – increased to €150pm (1st & 2nd Child) €185 (3rd & subsequent children)
Creation of an extra 50,000 childcare places.
Mothers of new-born children will have additional four weeks paid maternity leave
Private Childminders exempt from tax for first €10,000 income

Social Welfare
Old Age Pension – up €14 / 8% to €193pw
Social Welfare Rates – up €17 / 11% to €165.80pw
National Fuel Scheme – up €5 / 55% to €14pw
Respite Care Grant – up to €1,200
Maternity Benefit rate – up 75% to 80% of reckonable earnings
New enhanced Carer's Allowance €200pw (66 or over) and €180 (under 66)

qtman

damianob said:
There's also a figure of €790 million investment in childcare over 4 years.
That's the total cost of the benefit increases, tax reliefs and grants. Its not in addition to the individual measures. Its also over 4 years. Labour want to spend €1.5Bn over 4 years.

damianob

Website
www.askdirect.ie
qtman said:
That's the total cost of the benefit increases, tax reliefs and grants. Its not in addition to the individual measures. Its also over 4 years. Labour want to spend €1.5Bn over 4 years.
yes, thought it looked a bit vague alright.

And no tax relief on childcare. An annual payment of €1000 won't go very far when childcare is costing €1000 a month.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
I think the emphasis on tax relief to providers for capital costs is a means to give a boost to construction.

The tax relief to workers is a good idea, but will the requirement to notify the CCC mean people are compelled to look after child without any choice in the matter. And the reference to not their own, does that affect aunties, uncles, grandparents, cousins who are doing this already?

hiding behind a poster

qtman said:

I agree, the whole thing's a bit of a damp squib. Have to say I was worried about the extent of goodies that'd be handed out today, but they've been spread so thinly that very few people will remember come election time.

revereie

And there I was thinking that the decision to allow €10k income from minding up-to-three kids in a family homes was going to reduce the costs of childcare, bringing it in from the black economy.

Also if you look at the Budget Summary it makes for very interesting reading particularly capital allowances - a bugbear of the media in recent months.

Maximus

Looks like Cowen has flummoxed the Opposition again, leaving Bruton & Burton not knowing wheather to attack the increases in spending or the lack of spending!

Richard Bruton - “Budget marked the first step in buying the next election”

Joan Burton - "(Childcare package) will only offer parents modest relief and it is too limited"

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
hiding behind a poster said:
rockofcashel said:
[

I've already had one committed FF voter swear he'll never vote FF again.

Interesting. Is that since the Budget's been on, Rock?
Yep hbap,

he took one look at IOL.ie, and saw that child benefit was increasing by 1.99 a week, and he swore that he will never vote FF again.

Do FF think that children over the age of 6 do not need caring also ?

What about after school care ? Where do the government think that children go after school at 3 o clock, until 5:30, 6:00, maybe even 6:30 in the evening until their parents get home from work ?

What extra help will they get from the single payment to children under 6 ?

And this provision of 50,000 extra childcare places. Who will provide these ? Building developers building creches in estates ?

And the extra tax break of up to 10,000 for minding children in the home by non-parents. The majority of these people earn less than 10,000 per year anyways, so what benefit do you think these people will derive from going to the trouble of registering with local health boards and having themselves open to inspection ?

revereie

Rock, they legalise what was otherwise a part of the black economy and those engaged here can no advertise for an extra kid or two, which otherwise they might have shied away from in case they were reported.

And yes there are reliefs for builders/indiviuals building creches in estates - and that is one of the very few tax reliefs still available.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
However, the 10K exception may be too complex or messy for people to avail of it. And would it have made more sense to link it to the number of childs you mind?

let's see say it's €100 per child and you're minding 3 that's over €15K per year. Even two kids so going to put you over the 10K. Would it not make more sense to have it be something like 6K per child up to a max of 3 kids?

Will we have people saying they are looking after 1.7 children to stay under the 1OK limit? And that €100 per week is a low ball park figure on my part.

Actually, rock I think people who mind children should really be known to the authorities in case their background makes them unsuitable. There again it shouldn't cost much and should be continuous across all organisations instead of the farce of each thing you do requiring to get separate clearance

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
revereie said:
Rock, they legalise what was otherwise a part of the black economy and those engaged here can no advertise for an extra kid or two, which otherwise they might have shied away from in case they were reported.

And yes there are reliefs for builders/indiviuals building creches in estates - and that is one of the very few tax reliefs still available.
But they are increasing it! Childminding is a profitable business for the owners already and many treat parents with contempt, it's getting people to work in it that is the problem.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies