The Bus Connect Plan.

Socratus O' Pericles

Sixteen dedicated bus corridors are to be built throughout the capital under the new plan, while around 1,300 homes will have to lose gardens and parking places. The idea is to rip through established communities, people’s houses, gardens and streets.
The NTA says withou this initiative commuter traffic will grind to a halt.

The Green Party has welcomed the plan, but has warned that improvements for pedestrians and cyclists must be integral to the process.

I’d have thought the Greens would be against this...there is ferocious local opposition all over the city and county and the uplift campaigns have collected thousands of opponents signatures.

APettigrew92

Sixteen dedicated bus corridors are to be built throughout the capital under the new plan, while around 1,300 homes will have to lose gardens and parking places. The idea is to rip through established communities, people’s houses, gardens and streets.
The NTA says withou this initiative commuter traffic will grind to a halt.

The Green Party has welcomed the plan, but has warned that improvements for pedestrians and cyclists must be integral to the process.

I’d have thought the Greens would be against this...there is ferocious local opposition all over the city and county and the uplift campaigns have collected thousands of opponents signatures.
If only they applied mandatory purchase orders to those derelict buildings dotting the inner city.

I had a colleague from Finland once remark to me in amazement that such a thing could never happen in Helsinki as they were considered potential breeding grounds for crime and violence as well as being general eyesores.

I would fear for commuters all the same, however. Wherever you hear the word "streamlining" when it comes to transport, that's the death knell for niche services which benefit the elderly.

Considering it's a FF Government in charge, I wonder how many billions the overspend will amount to.

Socratus O' Pericles

If only they applied mandatory purchase orders to those derelict buildings dotting the inner city.

I had a colleague from Finland once remark to me in amazement that such a thing could never happen in Helsinki as they were considered potential breeding grounds for crime and violence as well as being general eyesores.

I would fear for commuters all the same, however. Wherever you hear the word "streamlining" when it comes to transport, that's the death knell for niche services which benefit the elderly.

Considering it's a FF Government in charge, I wonder how many billions the overspend will amount to.

It’s a bad idea, period. There needs to be a restriction on private cars entering the city thereby leaving room (and priority) for PSV.

The derelict sites thing is a hangover from the Irish obsession with property rights.

APettigrew92

It’s a bad idea, period. There needs to be a restriction on private cars entering the city thereby leaving room (and priority) for PSV.

The derelict sites thing is a hangover from the Irish obsession with property rights.
I recall discussing a similar proposal on this site a few years ago.

A poster who claimed to work as an Urban planner pointed out that increasing traffic lanes only increases traffic, it does not lower congestion. A certain number of people will always do what is most convenient for themselves, the rest of us be damned.

wombat

The problem with our public transport system is that is based on the 19th century city where people lived in the outskirts and worked in the city centre. I worked with a guy in Swords who lived in Raheny and couldn't drive because of a back injury. He took one bus into the city centre and another to Swords. Most employment around Dublin is now in the outskirts but public transport still operates as if everyone worked in the civil service. Bus Connect will be inconvenient for some but will benefit a lot more.

wombat

I recall discussing a similar proposal on this site a few years ago.

A poster who claimed to work as an Urban planner pointed out that increasing traffic lanes only increases traffic, it does not lower congestion.
They are talking about bus lanes which are restricted.

A Voice

Protest flyers in shop windows in Terenure, when I happened to be passing through the other day.
Let's hope the Greenwits back this plan all the way to their oblivion.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies