The C4 Drama 'The State' on Living in and Fighting for The IS State

General Urko

C4 is showing a superb drama based on real life accounts on what living in The IS state was about. It's over 5 nights at 9pm, with episode 3 tonight.

The State - All 4

There is some contoversy in that some have called for it to be delayed due to the Barcelona Atrocity, I think it's probably a fairly accurate dramatization of what life was like in the shytehole that was created there, hell on earth, so it's fair to show it at any time.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/isis-drama-the-state-should-have-been-delayed-say-viewers-802770.html

AFAIK C4 have not closed off their Iplayer to viewers in The Republic and it should be possible to view it from there with no time limit.

http://www.channel4.com/

It will also be repeated shortly.

I couldn't help but compare in my mind the obvious abuse of women there with the just as bad general abuse of women in the theocratic nightmare state, I grew up in and specifically with the Magdellan Laundry concentration camps!

Last edited:

General Urko

Well anybody see it?

General Urko

Peter Kosminsky, the award winning writer and director has said that from his research, it seems that Islamic People who have extensively studied their religion would never go to Syria to fight for IS and that most of the recruits are recent reverts to Islam (you cannot convert to Islam as it views all souls as Islamic) or those that have rediscovered their fate after having been in the wilderness wrt it and some are not really even believers!
Seem members of The British Intelligence community, he spoke to, said that when it has emerged that a UK Citizen has taken off to The IS state, their houses are raided and it's quite common to find British Army Recruitment leaflets in them. indicating that for many, it may be down to a sense of adventure.
Kosminsky also noted that once you are in Raqqa IS initially love bombs you and instills a sense of brotherhood and sisterhood as that is their MOD to get you on board.
Kosminsky has also sated that it is a nasty death cult and so it seems to be!

ne0ica

Seen it. Its typical Channel 4 fare. Not bad but could be better. I also seen the interview with the Director today on Channel 4 News.

silverharp

its watchable but there is nobody to really root for except any incoming drones :D

irish_bob

C4 is showing a superb drama based on real life accounts on what living in The IS state was about. It's over 5 nights at 9pm, with episode 3 tonight.

The State - All 4

There is some contoversy in that some have called for it to be delayed due to the Barcelona Atrocity, I think it's probably a fairly accurate dramatization of what life was like in the shytehole that was created there, hell on earth, so it's fair to show it at any time.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/isis-drama-the-state-should-have-been-delayed-say-viewers-802770.html

AFAIK C4 have not closed off their Iplayer to viewers in The Republic and it should be possible to view it from there with no time limit.

All 4 | The on-demand channel from 4

It will also be repeated shortly.

I couldn't help but compare in my mind the obvious abuse of women there with the just as bad general abuse of women in the theocratic nightmare state, I grew up in and specifically with the Magdellan Laundry concentration camps!

yes ive been watching it , its just ok , very by the numbers for the most part , it is improving with each episode however

JacquesHughes

Rivetting drama

Thought I was immune to Islamophobia, but this programme scared the bejayus out of me.

They're a wee bit sketchy on how these reasonably well-balanced recruits were attracted to this outfit in the first place; I have thought at times that the young generation of moslems in the UK are particularly unfamiliar with the ( now aging) literature from the Spanish civil war- Laurie Lee, George Orwell and others- from which one would draw the lessons; 'Don't get involved in someone else's civil war', 'A foreign volunteer is just a war materiel to be used/consumed', 'Your decision to volunteer is the last autonomy you'll exercise until you are released from life or prison'.

The middle-management of the IS are reminiscent of the Khmer Rouge with their suspicion of the educated and owing their own position to attitudes of extreme obedience in a hierarchy.

So I rate the program highly, and I think it's making a useful contribution to our understanding of an almost incomprehensible situation.

silverharp

they painted the characters too sympathetically , the idea that none of them didnt know about the slave markets for women is not believable, that would have been a selling point.

eoghanacht

Watched the first one last night, very good TV, as soon as I rest the tv back from the kid I'll watch the second episode.

General Urko

I think it's repeated on C4 from Friday again.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies