The case of the unsolicited church envelopes.

O

Oscurito

A friend of mine on Facebook is hyperventilating because someone popped some church dues into his letterbox. He's an atheist and has taken great umbrage at this offense to his non-belief.

Why not just ignore them and pop them in the recycling bin? There's no need to go ranting on social media.

For example, I'm a vegetarian yet on a regular basis, promotional material from the local butcher lands on my doormat. Likewise, Mrs. F down the street (before she passed away. God rest her) was a staunch and proud teetotaller. But I doubt that the off-licences spared her when they were doing their rounds with their printed matter. I just ignore it and I'd say that she did too.

I'd consider myself to be secular but that doesn't include toning down all manifestations of religion, lest they offend someone. If we start there, where does it end?

'orebel

Your mate sounds like a bit of a clown tbh. Do we need a thread on this?

Trainwreck

A friend of mine on Facebook is hyperventilating because someone popped some church dues into his letterbox. He's an atheist and has taken great umbrage at this offense to his non-belief.

Why not just ignore them and pop them in the recycling bin? There's no need to go ranting on social media.

For example, I'm a vegetarian yet on a regular basis, promotional material from the local butcher lands on my doormat. Likewise, Mrs. F down the street (before she passed away. God rest her) was a staunch and proud teetotaller. But I doubt that the off-licences spared her when they were doing their rounds with their printed matter. I just ignore it and I'd say that she did too.

I'd consider myself to be secular but that doesn't include toning down all manifestations of religion, lest they offend someone. If we start there, where does it end?
Pop one back in theirs, requesting payment for his own made up invisible spaghetti-monster club.

fat finger

I'm a meat eater, and every week flyers comes through the door offering huge wheels of pepperoni pizza washed down with lashings of Pepsi cola. So each Tuesday after work I phones em up and places me order, then we stuff our faces, mozzarella loverly jubberly!

Vega1447

The "Church dues" aren't an advertisement. They are a request (phrased as a demand) for a contribution.

The Catholic Church can't be ar5ed to maintain a members' database so they spam every house in the area.

Fvck them.

DaveM

The "Church dues" aren't an advertisement. They are a request (phrased as a demand) for a contribution.

The Catholic Church can't be ar5ed to maintain a members' database so they spam every house in the area.

Fvck them.
Sure what's the need for a database? They operate a "Hotel California" admissions policy.... :lol:

ne0ica

For the same reason atheists throw a tantrum because of the Anegelus.

Because we live in a infantilized society.

ruserious

It is entirely different.

The Angelus is being broadcast (subsidised) by public tax.

statsman

They annoy me, but I just bin them.

O

Oscurito

I'm a meat eater, and every week flyers comes through the door offering huge wheels of pepperoni pizza washed down with lashings of Pepsi cola. So each Tuesday after work I phones em up and places me order, then we stuff our faces, mozzarella loverly jubberly!
We needed to know this. I suppose this is why you have a fat finger?

DaveM

With accompanying wistful montages....

[video=youtube;EXmXO4d_R7g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXmXO4d_R7g[/video]

O

Oscurito

Fvck them.
It's not a demand. It's a request - and it's done a lot less pushily than ads from local butchers.

Franzoni

Same as the schools and the hospitals and they still think they own them......

I see Bruton is considering legislation to outlaw the need for a baptismal cert for school entry ...a sad reflection on us as a society in the 21st century that this still needs to be addressed......all the same a lot of parents will breathe a sigh of relief that they don't have to go searching through attics and old shoeboxes every few years ...must be a few votes in that............:D

O

Oscurito

I don't have a huge problem with the Angelus in its current form. It doesn't push one religion any more and is more a call for a period of quiet reflection.

(The RC church wouldn't be allowed pay for it, by the way. There's a law against religious advertising.)

ne0ica

The only people more obsessed with religion in Ireland other than religious fanatics are atheists.

If you have a friend on FB who is an Atheist notice the amount of religious related memes about religion they need to post or share. Or even those cute memes about not believing in anything or that religion is the stuff of fairytales.

If you are an Atheist or Agnostic thats your business and more power to you. But lets be honest there is a whiff and reek of loser about a lot of angry militants types. I imagine that in past lives or if they had lived 50 years ago they would be out lynching black people or committing genocide on behalf of Hitler of Stalin.

enuffisenuff

its still less offensive than getting one of Irish Waters fantasy bills through the letterbox...

Black Swan

Similarly, I never quite understood why my Dad would allow spammers to drive him so hysterically 'get off my lawn' insane whenever he encountered them.

They were probably forced into it by their local 'Jobland'.

Poor bastards.

GDPR

Actually atheists on this forum have expressed support for the Angelus out of schadenfreude for the Colm O'Gormans and Fintan O'Tooles of this world. The thing is that those type of lads love being permanently outraged over something or other, they are addicted to their indignation and if it wasn't the Angelus it would be something else. They remind me of Edwardian Vicars or TUV representatives.

ruserious

I don't have a huge problem with the Angelus in its current form. It doesn't push one religion any more and is more a call for a period of quiet reflection.

(The RC church wouldn't be allowed pay for it, by the way. There's a law against religious advertising.)
Which is why they should set up their own station to broadcast it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies