The case of the unsolicited church envelopes.

Watcher2

A friend of mine on Facebook is hyperventilating because someone popped some church dues into his letterbox. He's an atheist and has taken great umbrage at this offense to his non-belief.

Why not just ignore them and pop them in the recycling bin? There's no need to go ranting on social media.

For example, I'm a vegetarian yet on a regular basis, promotional material from the local butcher lands on my doormat. Likewise, Mrs. F down the street (before she passed away. God rest her) was a staunch and proud teetotaller. But I doubt that the off-licences spared her when they were doing their rounds with their printed matter. I just ignore it and I'd say that she did too.

I'd consider myself to be secular but that doesn't include toning down all manifestations of religion, lest they offend someone. If we start there, where does it end?
Bit of an overreaction on your mates part top be honest. We get them too. They get filed under G for Green Bin.

Emily Davison

For the same reason atheists throw a tantrum because of the Anegelus.

Because we live in a infantilized society.
I'm an atheist and it doesn't bother me. Took down the Christmas tree last weekend too.

O

Oscurito

Pop one back in theirs, requesting payment for his own made up invisible spaghetti-monster club.
I doubt they'd get the spaghetti monster parody church reference but I might suggest something along those lines to him.

(So far, I've kept out of the swirling maelstrom of opinions and counter-opinions that his Facebook post has become.)

ergo2

I'm an atheist and it doesn't bother me. Took down the Christmas tree last weekend too.
I always leave the Christmas tree up to join in celebration of the Orthodox Church's and others' Christmas Day on Jan 7th. That is under the old Julian calendar. Then you have to allow time for the three wise men to get there.

The 3WM can often be delayed. Camel speeds are the same for the last 2016 years, but travel has become bureaucratic.

Try turning up at any boundary without proper Vets certs for the camels. There might be quaarantine problems.

To bring gold into a country requires compliance with Money Laundering and Tax Avoidance legislation.

Then if the sniffer dogs find the frankincense and myrhh.............

So in our house the tree stands up until her hear the 3WM have made it

Last edited:

Socratus O' Pericles

xmas lights still going full bore in Dun Laoghaire.

Casablanca

Like all unsolicited mail, I just bin them.

Mind you a lady called a few years ago, shortly after we'd moved in, saying she was working on the Census. After querying this, it turned out it was the Parish Census she was updating.

Upon learning of our particular living arrangements , she left with a face on her like a bulldog chewing a wasp dipped in lemon.

O

Oscurito

Which is why they should set up their own station to broadcast it.
The Angelus isn't Catholic any more. Or even Christian.

It's been shorn of all religious significance.

You clearly haven't seen it for years.

Watcher2

I doubt they'd get the spaghetti monster parody church reference but I might suggest something along those lines to him.

(So far, I've kept out of the swirling maelstrom of opinions and counter-opinions that his Facebook post has become.)
Debate on Facebook at your peril. Its about 10 times worse than here. I never touch the bloody thing. There are loons here, there are far more of them out there.

Emily Davison

I always leave the Christmas tree up to join in celebration of the Orthodox Church's and others' Christmas Day on Jan 7th. That is under the old Julian calendar. Then you have to allow time for the three wise men to get there........................
Well I consider myself to be late taking them down this year. But I did put them up around Dec 1st to cheer myself up. I want to forget Christmas now and think of the Spring instead and the days getting longer.

Emily Davison

Debate on Facebook at your peril. Its about 10 times worse than here. I never touch the bloody thing. There are loons here, there are far more of them out there.
I can't understand facebook. Nor twitter either. Also Facebook now things I'm someone else, a man actually. I keep getting emails from an Adam account that I've no clue of. Going on now for a month.

O

Oscurito

I learned that the hard way. If you reply to some FB friend's post and their post is set to public access, it may pop up in the timeline of one of your other friends (even if they don't know the first one from Adam). They might get involved and suddenly, two of your friends are rowing.

Oh God, the awkwardness...!

Casablanca

Is that a middle class way of saying she'd a face on her like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle?

Or is it that fifth child thing?

:)
Just when I'd begun to get over the guilt(through the intercession of St Horn and wearing a scapular), you bring it up again.

You baxtard!

O

Oscurito

The only people more obsessed with religion in Ireland other than religious fanatics are atheists.

If you have a friend on FB who is an Atheist notice the amount of religious related memes about religion they need to post or share. Or even those cute memes about not believing in anything or that religion is the stuff of fairytales.

If you are an Atheist or Agnostic thats your business and more power to you. But lets be honest there is a whiff and reek of loser about a lot of angry militants types. I imagine that in past lives or if they had lived 50 years ago they would be out lynching black people or committing genocide on behalf of Hitler of Stalin.
If they kept it on their own timeline, I wouldn't mind. One of them launched himself into a post of mine in which I'd wished all my American Facebook friends a "Happy Thanksgiving". I'd received a few likes and expressions of thanks. Then he comes along with a long rant about the historical significance of it.....! Lovely stuff...

blokesbloke

Well really if he had any cop-on he'd save them and reuse them for other purposes, like very small letters or small "donations" to his local councillor or TD when he needs a pothole fixing or something.

Honestly, have people no sense of reusing and recycling in Ireland anymore?

Waste not, want not.

I blame the Celtic Tiger.

cricket

How would you pop "church dues" in a letter box ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies