The cash cost of unity - it's like brexit 2.0

McTell

Twitter
No
Sooo, we know that the "subvention" - net payment from GB to NI is about £10 Bn pa. About 6,000 pa each to the average Irish taxpayer in the "26 counties".

Then also the split of public debt... nobody has guessed what that is. Not being bothered to know cost us dear in 1921-25.

Now we have the cost of living. If the 26 subvents the 6 by 10 Bn pa, and the goods to be bought will cost 30% more because of our VAT system, then the 10 Bn will equate to 7 Bn. Even though it will cost us mugs in the south 10 Bn.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-what-the-pint-of-guinness-index-tells-us-1.3335423

Commercially, we should regard Northern Ireland as a giant discount store. It is a “constitutional Lidl” just up the road.
But before focusing on the bargains that are available up North, it’s worth considering just how expensive Ireland is relative to countries around the world.

Cue nordy misery, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Shouldn't we "free staters" keep this handy Lidl as it is? Or will Lidl have to drop out after brexit because of the costs.

Can anyone get the sums straight to work out is unity worth our while? I'm not talking about posters who say what 10 Bn, just those who can add.

Maybe easiest to call it "the required post-unity EU subvention" /RPUEUS. Your project in 2018.

between the bridges

The Knights of the Red Branch have the answers ye seek...

death or glory

So would you still go to Lidl, if you had a border checkpoint to cross over.

Sure we're happy with the 10 billion sterling, the British mainland is happy with it, so why bother your little head about something that would only give you so much misery.

Sure keep the money and through a party and invite all the Nordies down for a free weekend, sure that will even boost your economy.

McSlaggart

Sooo, we know that the "subvention" - net payment from GB to NI is about £10 Bn pa. About 6,000 pa each to the average Irish taxpayer in the "26 counties".

Then also the split of public debt... nobody has guessed what that is. Not being bothered to know cost us dear in 1921-25.

Now we have the cost of living. If the 26 subvents the 6 by 10 Bn pa, and the goods to be bought will cost 30% more because of our VAT system, then the 10 Bn will equate to 7 Bn. Even though it will cost us mugs in the south 10 Bn.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/david-mcwilliams-what-the-pint-of-guinness-index-tells-us-1.3335423

Commercially, we should regard Northern Ireland as a giant discount store. It is a “constitutional Lidl” just up the road.
But before focusing on the bargains that are available up North, it’s worth considering just how expensive Ireland is relative to countries around the world.

Shouldn't we "free staters" keep this handy Lidl as it is? Or will Lidl have to drop out after brexit because of the costs.

Can anyone get the sums straight to work out is unity worth our while? I'm not talking about posters who say what 10 Bn, just those who can add.

Maybe easiest to call it "the required post-unity EU subvention" /RPUEUS. Your project in 2018.
Its a pity we do not have any educated people in "Northern Ireland". Just a bunch of work ship Paddies:

Catalpast

Didn't cost us anything

Anyway in any deal over the North are you factoring what taxes are raised in the North before you consider subvention?

+ Britain would or should be obliged to continue subventions for quite a while to allow a smooth transfer of Power

NOTE: Germany only recently paid off its World War One reparations [2010]

Catalpast

So would you still go to Lidl, if you had a border checkpoint to cross over.

Sure we're happy with the 10 billion sterling, the British mainland is happy with it, so why bother your little head about something that would only give you so much misery.

Sure keep the money and through a party and invite all the Nordies down for a free weekend, sure that will even boost your economy.
I think the average British person across the water would be quite Happy to see themselves out of there

- and 10 Billion lids extra in their back pockets!:cool:

death or glory

I think the average British person across the water would be quite Happy to see themselves out of there

Well I completely disagree and I don't see them doing much about it, sure they even give us an extra billion and a half as an extra thank you.

vivabrigada

The North is a " constitutional Lidl"?
Priceless!

vivabrigada

Didn't cost us anything

Anyway in any deal over the North are you factoring what taxes are raised in the North before you consider subvention?

+ Britain would or should be obliged to continue subventions for quite a while to allow a smooth transfer of Power

Note: Britain only finished paying the US for WWII under Tony Blair.

CastleRay

Didn't cost us anything

For the constitutional position of Northern Ireland to change it will only be by voting to leave the UK. This has always been the case despite the daft Nats talking about a roadmap for the first time due to the GFA (see previous laws in place). But, why on earth would the rUK continue to pay a central subvention to a state that does not belong to the Union? Is the UK getting paid by the EU when leaving? Nope, and that’s despite the UK being a net contributor annually to the EU.

McTell

Twitter
No
///

Why is GB obliged to do anything? They said they would respect the vote of the majority, not pay for it as well.

Reparations a different ball game arising from a war.

Back to my Q; the amount please.

Paddyc

I think the agreement is that they would pay €10Bn the first year, €9Bn, the second and so on on a sliding scale,in their relief to be shut of the place. It’s also a way of guaranteeing our good behavior, at least while the cash is still flowing.

tokkie

No need to worry about the cost of a UI. The Brits will pay us to take the place.

vivabrigada

In your miserable existence of doing down the place where you live with cheap comments I suppose you’re day has been made.
How is a statement of fact a cheap comment?
Why has where I choose to live (ie, where I come from) relevant?

Arrogance is a common trait among British Tories.

Ireniall

:lol:

mangaire2

Why is GB obliged to do anything? They said they would respect the vote of the majority, not pay for it as well.

Reparations a different ball game arising from a war.

Back to my Q; the amount please.
because they will still have an interest in the welfare of the plastic brits there.
they won't want to see the place go belly-up,
& because they'll be making a saving of 10 million p.a. or whatever the correct figure is, in the long term.
i'm sure that our 26 County government will play the Green Card,
& threaten that they won't agree to a UI unless the Brits phase out, rather than suddenly stop the subventions.

i'm sure there are many ore reasons, but that's all I can think of for now.

rainmaker

Administrator
because they will still have an interest in the welfare of the plastic brits there.
they won't want to see the place go belly-up,
& because they'll be making a saving of 10 million p.a. or whatever the correct figure is, in the long term.
i'm sure that our 26 County government will play the Green Card,
& threaten that they won't agree to a UI unless the Brits phase out, rather than suddenly stop the subventions.

i'm sure there are many ore reasons, but that's all I can think of for now.
No. The subvention may be carried for a few short years on a reducing scale but then that's it.

There is no UK that could government could sell the UK public the idea of spending billions on an entity that has left the UK and united with another country. The opposition would hammer them as would the tax payer.

To be fair that would be like the UK demanding continued EU funding until we settle down after Brexit.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies