The Catholic Bishops and Education in Ireland

mairteenpak

Active member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
196
Bishop Leo O'Reilly has waved his crosier in the governments direction in response to new Government Plans for National Schools


The Great Hurler on the ditch "Bock the Robber" calls a spade a spade even though he was not asked to

http://bocktherobber.com/2008/08/cathol ... ion-system
 


mairteenpak

Active member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
196
Breaking the cycle of superstition in our schools should become a government priority


Thomas Jefferson: (1743-1826), third U.S. president.
"I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies."

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man. ... perverted into an engine for enslaving mankind ... a mere contrivance [for the clergy] to filch wealth and power to themselves."

"In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to liberty, he is always in allegiance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own. ... History I believe furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. ... Political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves [of public ignorance] for their own purpose."
 

mairteenpak

Active member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
196
You think it is a good idea to deliver impressionable children, vulnerable children in their formative years, for indoctrination, prior to them attaining the age of reason, all at the expense of the Taxpayer and the children themselves?
 

Roger

Member
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
66
mairteenpak said:
You think it is a good idea to deliver impressionable children, vulnerable children in their formative years, for indoctrination, prior to them attaining the age of reason, all at the expense of the Taxpayer and the children themselves?
Catholic parents (many of whom are taxpayers) will probably be able to decide what "superstition" they want taught to their children.
 

Defeated Romanticist

Active member
Joined
Apr 12, 2007
Messages
277
lostexpectation said:
they have to scrap this patron system and the gov take proper responsibility for education
If it ain't broken...
 

lostexpectation

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
14,004
Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Defeated Romanticist said:
lostexpectation said:
they have to scrap this patron system and the gov take proper responsibility for education
If it ain't broken...
but it clearly is broken
 
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
10
There is nothing wrong with having religion in schools. It pisses me off, when the majority of comments made against priests, bishops, or religion as been something bad, especially, when the majority of these people making these comments never had any personal negative experiences. Yes, we had major problems in the past, but having faith in a God, and traditional values i believe is a better way forward for society in general. Yes get rid of old doctrines and attitudes and teaching fear to children through religion. But if anyone has an iota of understanding of the bible, the message of the Gospels is of nothing but love, understanding, forgiveness, compassion, acceptance, and hope.
I believe, we are making a balls of this country through knee jerk reactions from problems of the past. I believe the breadown of family, respect for law and order is all connected to us trying to break away from our traditional values. I accept change was needed, but not complete disregard for anything old or traditional.
 

saratoga

Active member
Joined
May 4, 2007
Messages
111
lostexpectation said:
Defeated Romanticist said:
lostexpectation said:
they have to scrap this patron system and the gov take proper responsibility for education
If it ain't broken...
but it clearly is broken
I'm all for seperation of church and state, but you're not being practical. The simple fact is that over 90% of our schools are privately-owned (i.e. by the church) yet publicly funded. That's the way it is right now.

So how do you alter that situation for the better? Unless you're advocating buying all these schools at massive cost, or else making some kind of law that shuts out the church from a say in the running of their own schools, you have to reach a practical compromise with them. Which is what we have right now.
 

lostexpectation

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
14,004
Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
this is about new schools, don't take any new patrons even the likes of ET, use the vec model... don't allow this patron nonsense have the gov directly responsible for the schools and then they be able to fight to fund and run them properly rather then the gov basking the buck (ie breaking their duty to educate)
 

Roger

Member
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
66
lostexpectation said:
this is about new schools, don't take any new patrons even the likes of ET, use the vec model... don't allow this patron nonsense have the gov directly responsible for the schools and then they be able to fight to fund and run them properly rather then the gov basking the buck (ie breaking their duty to educate)
What if some parents do not want their children educated in schools not controlled by their religious denomination?
 

Nagy

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
57
The catholic church is one of the greatest rackets in history. How much have they swindled from their brainwashed followers over the years?
 

Roger

Member
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
66
Nagy said:
The catholic church is one of the greatest rackets in history. How much have they swindled from their brainwashed followers over the years?

Do you admit that you want the education of Catholic children removed from the control of the Catholic church so that people like you could preach your anti-Catholic venom to defenceless Catholic children?
 

mairteenpak

Active member
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
196
Roger said:
Nagy said:
The catholic church is one of the greatest rackets in history. How much have they swindled from their brainwashed followers over the years?

Do you admit that you want the education of Catholic children removed from the control of the Catholic church so that people like you could preach your anti-Catholic venom to defenceless Catholic children?

Atheists nor Atheists should be allowed to preach to children at the public's expense. There is scope for education on religion and morality, generally, within school time without promoting any particular faith.It would be reasonable for the state to make its building available to faith groups for religous instruction outside of core school time.
 

Roger

Member
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
66
mairteenpak said:
Roger said:
Nagy said:
The catholic church is one of the greatest rackets in history. How much have they swindled from their brainwashed followers over the years?

Do you admit that you want the education of Catholic children removed from the control of the Catholic church so that people like you could preach your anti-Catholic venom to defenceless Catholic children?

Atheists nor Atheists should be allowed to preach to children at the public's expense. There is scope for education on religion and morality, generally, within school time without promoting any particular faith.It would be reasonable for the state to make its building available to faith groups for religous instruction outside of core school time.

Who would teach the Catholic pupils during "core time"? Would the Catholic pupils have to share the class-rooms with non-Catholic pupils? Would they have to share the play-ground with non-Catholic pupils?
 

Nagy

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
57
Roger said:
Do you admit that you want the education of Catholic children removed from the control of the Catholic church so that people like you could preach your anti-Catholic venom to defenceless Catholic children?
Do I think "catholic" children shouldn't have to be brainwashed by the state like their parents were? Absolutely.
 

Almanac

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
3,139
Nagy said:
The catholic church is one of the greatest rackets in history. How much have they swindled from their brainwashed followers over the years?
Perhaps you'd consider backing up your defamations with evidence.

Oh, I forgot you don't need to. Left-wing idologues only deal in propaganda not truth. Your Father in the Faith, Lenin invented agitprop after all.

Why not start slaughtering priests and bishops by the thousand and burning down churches right away as your ideological predecessors did in the Second Republic in 1936? But, of course, we never hear about this, only about Franco, who only stepped in because the government turned a blind eye to the holocaust which followed six years of persecution, in which the media stirred up hatred by repeating lies such as the one you have posted above.
 

Roger

Member
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
66
Nagy said:
Roger said:
Do you admit that you want the education of Catholic children removed from the control of the Catholic church so that people like you could preach your anti-Catholic venom to defenceless Catholic children?
Do I think "catholic" children shouldn't have to be brainwashed by the state like their parents were? Absolutely.

Does that mean that you want to brainwash Catholic children with your anti-Catholic venom?
 

Bobert

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
1,071
I wonder if the same people who try to make the Church ook bad when it comes to education would be saying the same things about the Jesuits had they been taught by them?
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top