The Chagos Islands.....UK defeat at the UN General Assembly

Nebuchadnezzar

The international Court of Justice has been asked to advise on the lawfulness of the separation of the Chagos Islands from Mauritius following the later's independence from the UK in 1968. The US military base of Diego Garcia on long term lease from the British forms part of the territory.

Beyond the rights and wrongs of Mauritius' claim to the territory and the issue of the forced eviction of the islanders from Diego Garcia the diplomatic isolation of the British is significant. The General Assembly voted by 94 countries to 15 to forward the issue for consideration to the ICJ with significant abstentions by Germany, France, Spain and Italy. Ireland also abstained. Only 4 EU members supported the UK.

The British lobbying efforts against the vote was said by one European diplomat to be distracted by BREXIT and also that the Foreign Office had been weakened by the creation of the new Department for BREXIT and International Trade....."The lobbying effort probably wasn't good enough....Mauritius did a better job". According to BBC's James Langdale ..."Britain's diplomatic clout had waned after the vote for Brexit".

Chagos legal status sent to international court by UN - BBC News

razorblade

It was an illegal act by a colonial power the islands should be returned to their rightful owners and the native inhabitants that were forcefully expelled allowed to return.

Nebuchadnezzar

It was an illegal act by a colonial power the islands should be returned to their rightful owners and the native inhabitants that were forcefully expelled allowed to return.
Return it to the French or perhaps even the Portuguese? The islands were uninhabited and unclaimed prior to their arrivals in the 16th and 17th centuries. The Mauritian claim to the Chagos Islands doesn't seem particularly strong to me which makes the British defeat at the UN all the more significant.

razorblade

Return it to the French or perhaps even the Portuguese? The islands were uninhabited and unclaimed prior to their arrivals in the 16th and 17th centuries. The Mauritian claim to the Chagos Islands doesn't seem particularly strong to me which makes the British defeat at the UN all the more significant.
Return it to the people that were illegally displaced to make way for a US military base.

storybud1

Return it to the people that were illegally displaced to make way for a US military base.
China is laughing, military matters, it is kinda important that information and physical ability is there,

I would be in favour of a British sub pen and rapid response RAF base off the west coast of Ireland, you don't have to agree but you would sleep a little better knowing it,,

otherwise don't give out to me about Putin or a hijacked Atlantic airliner ?? sure we could only watch and run,,,

theObserver@hotmail.com

China is laughing, military matters, it is kinda important that information and physical ability is there,

I would be in favour of a British sub pen and rapid response RAF base off the west coast of Ireland, you don't have to agree but you would sleep a little better knowing it,,

otherwise don't give out to me about Putin or a hijacked Atlantic airliner ?? sure we could only watch and run,,,
Er why? Britain has always represented a greater threat to Ireland than Russia.

ruserious

"Ireland abstained".

I thought we don't make public our voting record at the UN.

In light of this new season of openness, may I ask how we voted on Saudi Arabia and the Women's rights vote.

Nebuchadnezzar

The Mauritians have said they will not challenge the US lease and would further renew it. USA voted against the resolution.

Nebuchadnezzar

"Ireland abstained".

I thought we don't make public our voting record at the UN.

In light of this new season of openness, may I ask how we voted on Saudi Arabia and the Women's rights vote.
The record of the Chagos vote.

Karloff

They even rounded up all their pets and gassed them cruelly and some were said to be still moving when they loaded the bodies into trucks. All to terrorise the population to make moving them easier.

The last expression of the old British Empire for sure, no due process no recourse to law or humanity - someone in Whitehall makes a decision and a poor powerless people feel the axe.

Nebuchadnezzar

razorblade

The Mauritians have said they will not challenge the US lease and would further renew it. USA voted against the resolution.
As if they have any real choice, a tiny powerless island is hardly in a position to confront a major military power is it, this is nothing short of imperialism which has no place in the modern world.

Wascurito

Indeed. BREXIT may be a cold place diplomatically.
The British are nervous about the whole affair:

From another Argentinian website:
https://www.terra.com.ar/noticias/mundo/eeuu/onu-pide-a-la-cij-opinion-sobre-disputa-entre-runido-y-mauricio-por-chagos,0a3eaaba95156fddcb0028b3cf39b60fl2hoowh4.html

Además, advirtió de que la resolución puede suponer un "precedente" en cuanto a disputas bilaterales del pasado que muchos países podrían "lamentar" en el futuro.

>>>> [The British ambassador] also warned that the resolution may be a "precedent" with regard to old bilateral disputes that many countries may regret in the future.

razorblade

If the Brits had any decency they would give up control of these islands, give it to its rightful owners and tell the USA to take a hike.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Blair once cited the risk of flooding in a tsunami as justification for the continued and disgrace of the relocation of the inhabitants. Diego Garcia is very low in terms of its average height above sea level. The tsunami which caused lots of damage to the coast of East Africa barely touched Diego Garcia. The islands are mountains in the sea; there is no gradual underwater slope to them.

Blair was shown to have lied. That's normal for him because he's a lying coont.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies