The Claire Byrne Live Leader's debate.

brughahaha

"Mr Tóibín said he knew of one TD who was effectively directed to make Dáil speeches by their assistant as she did not agree with the policy. "That TD actually decided to give a speech in Irish so that the policy wouldn't be associated with her," he said. "

Not that there's any chance you'll apologise but at least people can see which of us is lying.
Just because SF supporters keep saying that it doesn't make it true.

His motive's are irrelevant to the substance of his revelations.

You can repeat it till the cows come home and it still won't make it true.
Yes ...You are
The BBC even made a series about handlers and advisors
called "The Thick of it" ...a series which won awards and was generally greeted as being very close to the bone despite it being a "comedy".

But you keep believing its all unique to Sf ..scriptwirters , advisors , party policy and party discipline ..yep unique to SF :rolleyes:

If your so clueless about politics , are you sure this is the site for you right now? ....maybe read a few newspapers for a while ,talk to some party members , watch a few documentaries , learn how politics works and then come back ?

BACKTOBASICS

Yes ...You are
called "The Thick of it" ...a series which won awards and was generally greeted as being very close to the bone despite it being a "comedy".

But you keep believing its all unique to Sf ..scriptwirters , advisors , party policy and party discipline ..yep unique to SF :rolleyes:

If your so clueless about politics , are you sure this is the site for you right now? ....maybe read a few newspapers for a while ,talk to some party members , watch a few documentaries , learn how politics works and then come back ?
Advisors are hired for that: to advise. I was speaking to one recently who was an advisor to a nameless prominent politician, and he definitely influenced his decisions. Some give wrong advice obviously and the $hit hits the fan when things go belly up.

Advisors are a cost to the taxpayer and some politicians have too many and others with minor portfolios should have no advisors.

I could imagine Terry Prone driving a politician into a deep slumber though, which would be a godsend with some of our mouthy politicians.

Last edited:

Mickeymac

Yes ...You are

I recommended a good book to him, a book very much useful to the clueless but I fear he has not yet acquired a copy sir.

Baron von Biffo

Yes ...You are

Ah, you get your understanding of politics from a television comedy.

No wonder your analysis is a joke.

jmcc

That Green election broadcast is on a Parallax View level. Quite clever. No politicians just hope.

Baron von Biffo

Advisors are hired for that: to advise. I was speaking to one recently who was an advisor to a nameless prominent politician, and he definitely influenced his decisions. Some give wrong advice obviously and the $hit hits the fan when things go belly up.
It would a poor adviser indeed whose advice didn't influence the decisions his minister takes. Up to now though, it's the minister who makes the decision.

From what we've learned about SF we know that when we get ministers from that party it will be the Ard Comhairle that makes the decisions and the minister will be a rubber stamp.

Advisors are a cost to the taxpayer and some politicians have too many and others with minor portfolios should have no advisors.
[...]
On the contrary. It's good that our ministers have advisers. I'd go so far as to say that all TDs should have a team of 4 - 6 advisers/researchers.

jimbohane

Ah, you get your understanding of politics from a television comedy.

No wonder your analysis is a joke.
I don't know if it is par for the course but rumour has it that the leaders debate held in Galway recently was a pure farce. The program makers had Red C reps go around to houses asking people if they would be interested in attending as audience members and for their trouble they would be paid 60euro. Students were excluded. Audience members were asked beforehand for questions on various topics and the lucky ones would get to have their questions aired. The questions chosen were then given to the leaders before the program began so that they would have ample time to prepare their answers. If any of this is true it makes a mockery of the whole show. Can anybody confirm if this is the case?

Last edited:

jmcc

I don't know if it is par for the course but rumour has it that the leaders debate held in Galway recently was a pure farce. The program makers went around to houses asking people if they would be interested in attending as audience members and for their trouble they would be paid 60euro. Students were excluded. Audience members were asked beforehand for questions on various topics and the lucky ones would get to have their questions aired. The questions chosen were then given to the leaders before the program began so that they would have ample time to prepare their answers. If any of this is true it makes a mockery of the whole show. Can anybody confirm if this is the case?
It was supposed to have been a RedC selected audience.

jimbohane

What was Claire playing at tonight? She allowed a Greta Thunberg lookalike to come on at the end of the program and give a rant in her American accent about climate change in Ireland . Nobody was allowed to reply. Are RTE trying to promote another ''green surge'' ?

jmcc

What was Claire playing at tonight? She allowed a Greta Thunberg lookalike to come on at the end of the program and give a rant in her American accent about climate change in Ireland . Nobody was allowed to reply. Are RTE trying to promote another ''green surge'' ?
They are scared sh!tless of SF.

livingstone

It would a poor adviser indeed whose advice didn't influence the decisions his minister takes. Up to now though, it's the minister who makes the decision.

From what we've learned about SF we know that when we get ministers from that party it will be the Ard Comhairle that makes the decisions and the minister will be a rubber stamp.

On the contrary. It's good that our ministers have advisers. I'd go so far as to say that all TDs should have a team of 4 - 6 advisers/researchers.
It would be if TDs hired actual policy advisers and researchers, rather than political/re-election assistants. I don't think Irish TDs would do that, for the most part. So instead create a research pool in the Oireachtas which TDs can draw on on an ad hoc basis. Hired to provide factual advice and research to TDs, not political or campaign advice.

That can then by a supplement to the TDs own office operation which can provide political/campaign/constituency advice.

Baron von Biffo

It would be if TDs hired actual policy advisers and researchers, rather than political/re-election assistants. I don't think Irish TDs would do that, for the most part.
I accept that my proposal is a tad Utopian but perhaps we need a bit of Utopian thinking at times.

So instead create a research pool in the Oireachtas which TDs can draw on on an ad hoc basis. Hired to provide factual advice and research to TDs, not political or campaign advice.

That can then by a supplement to the TDs own office operation which can provide political/campaign/constituency advice.
No, that would defeat the purpose.

My idea is that the TD should be able to pick whatever team he/she wishes and set them to whatever tasks he/she deems to be appropriate.

It would be our job as citizens then, to assess whether he/she was effective in doing our business.

We should see to it that the TDs thrive who made the best use of the resources to do their jobs and those who just fixed up friends and family* should be shown the door.

Still being Utopian I suppose.

*BTW, I'd have no objection in principle to a TD employing friends and family. I'd judge on ends rather than means in that regard.

blinding

Well they would do that would’t they ! RTE have to make sure the Taxes come in for FFG. Those Taxes are absolutely necessary for RTE.

middleground

It was a bizarre rant. I agree with the first point she made … that the politicians are not taking climate change seriously. The retrofitting debate was devoid of a proper analysis and the SEAI quoted figure of 30,000 euro only applies if we want a dream retrofit. It was a little abusive to expose someone so young (herself) to her anger on TV.

offalypat

It was a bizarre rant. I agree with the first point she made … that the politicians are not taking climate change seriously. The retrofitting debate was devoid of a proper analysis and the SEAI quoted figure of 30,000 euro only applies if we want a dream retrofit. It was a little abusive to expose someone so young (herself) to her anger on TV.
and who i supplying the finance for such a young little upstart.

jimbohane

and who i supplying the finance for such a young little upstart.
That is what I was wondering afterall Claire Byrne said she had travelled a long way and how was this brought to her attention and by whom? Travelling along way to another country should not automatically give you the right to contribute to a debate over the right of native people to do so. Is she the US version of Thunberg as she certainly has the same aggressive attitude.? I assume she flew over and did not sail. A hypocrit the same as her Swedish twin.

BACKTOBASICS

And she was allowed bring into the studio, and display, a huge poster with a political message.

Another cheap shot by our so-called public broadcaster - perhaps the art department in RTE rigged up the poster.

Don't pay the licence fee, as it has already been bought and paid for by our Marxist government and politicians to put out their biased political fake climate change message.

She also managed to anger herself up into the customary tearful snowflake rant driving her blood pressure sky high - a complete set-up and farcical exhibition of biased broadcasting by good old Clare.

The more RTE show their bias, the more their PC liberal Marxist agenda is exposed to their captive paying 'customers', but yet if you object to the licence fee you are threatened with jail!

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies