• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Climate Change Debate Thread (Second Thread)

mangaire2

oooops! It's growing? Wasn't Greenland ice melt supposed to drown us all by now?
nah Breeal - it was only "Alarmists" like you who believed that "Greenland ice melt was supposed to drown us all by now"
you will be long pushing up daises before the sea level rise of the magnitude you refer to, will come to pass,
& you know if Deniers like you cop on before it's too late, there is a chance that the Global Warming may be limited to a couple of degrees.

owedtojoy

It turns out there’s a Chicago futures market for weather, mostly used by utilities and growers to hedge against the possibility of unusually high or low temperatures.

However, since weather forecasts are nearly useless more than ten days out, futures contracts purchased earlier than that are based almost entirely on broad climate forecasts.

Climate scientists, of course, have been predicting global warming trends for quite a while. So how do their models compare to the predictions made by people who have to put their money where their mouths are?

Pretty closely, it turns out.
blog_heating_days_summer_2002_20181.jpg

Money talks, and it says climate change is real

Any denier response? Anyone got the "climate change is not happening" explanation?

SPN

I'm surprised Owedtojoy hasn't been peddling this nonsense, given that she seems to blame practically everything else onthe darned Russkies.

"In an effort to slow down US natural gas production, the Russian government backed the anti-fracking movement in the United States. Moscow even funded US anti-fracking activists.

Now, with US climate change activists working to have ExxonMobil banned from addressing the European Parliament, and as Germany builds the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline from Russia, it’s time to ask if Moscow is trying to push American energy companies out of Europe."

owedtojoy

I'm surprised Owedtojoy hasn't been peddling this nonsense, given that she seems to blame practically everything else onthe darned Russkies.

"In an effort to slow down US natural gas production, the Russian government backed the anti-fracking movement in the United States. Moscow even funded US anti-fracking activists.

Now, with US climate change activists working to have ExxonMobil banned from addressing the European Parliament, and as Germany builds the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline from Russia, it’s time to ask if Moscow is trying to push American energy companies out of Europe."
Like Saudi Arabia and Iran, Russia is a petro-state run by a brutal regime.

Leaving fossil fuel assets in the ground, as it will have to do, will destroy Russia's state oil company. Putin and the oligarchs who have their snouts in the trough may be caught up in the collapse, which is inevitable.

That they would use their power to line their pockets as much as they can, in the short term, should surprise no one.

owedtojoy

Alpine glaciers: Another decade of loss

pelto_fig2-600x559.png
The key take away is the same for alpine glaciers around the globe, warming temperatures lead to mass balance losses, which leads to velocity slow down. Mass balance is the key driver in glacier response, and a sustained negative mass balance leads to thinning and retreat, which leads to a glacier velocity decline, whether the glacier is in the Himalayas, Alps or Andes.

Breeal

nah Breeal - it was only "Alarmists" like you who believed that "Greenland ice melt was supposed to drown us all by now"
you will be long pushing up daises before the sea level rise of the magnitude you refer to, will come to pass,
& you know if Deniers like you cop on before it's too late, there is a chance that the Global Warming may be limited to a couple of degrees.
Incorrect, your fear mongering doomsday prophecies have no currency here.

owedtojoy

Per the brilliant Robert Rohde, (of Berkeley Earth), animation showing how temperature averages, and extremes, have shifted upward as global temperatures have risen over last century and a half.

mangaire2

Incorrect, your fear mongering doomsday prophecies have no currency here.
wrong -
it was a geezer called Bereel who commented -

"Greenland ice melt was supposed to drown us all by now"

now, that is Alarmist.
if the geezer had bothered to check the facts, he would know that sea level has been rising at c. 3 mm per year over recent decades.
this rise combined with predicted increased frequency & intensity of storms causes problems, but is not catastrophic at this stage.
it's likely to be some time yet, before sea level rise will be catastrophic for most of us.

sorry to say that although ol Breeal is a frequent contributor to AGW threads, he appears to be ignorant of the basic facts relating to Climate Change,
& as a result he exposes himself as an Ignoramus, an Alarmist & a Denier

Steve Case

... predicted increased frequency & intensity of storms...

You guys have been going on about this for over thirty. So far, it's not happening, so exactly when is it supposed to begin to happen?

mangaire2

... predicted increased frequency & intensity of storms...

You guys have been going on about this for over thirty. So far, it's not happening, so exactly when is it supposed to begin to happen?
it takes a lot more than 30 years to prove that 'one in a hundred' year events are occurring every 20/30 years.

I think that you live in the US, but we have had some very extreme climatic conditions here in recent years, including gales that almost blew away a seaside resort, Lahinch, not far from where I live.

rising sea levels & extreme weather events such as more frequent & intense gales, are taken into account when flood defences & coastal erosion measure are being designed,
& we're already paying with our taxes for the cost of the increased design requirements.

Trump has a golf course, not far from Lahinch,
& he wants to build a wall to defend his golf course from being encroached by the sea,
& he's in disagreement with the Local Authority about the impact of his proposed wall.

he may well continue to fool his supporters into believing that AGW is a "hoax",
but he protects his own property, against the effects of rising sea level & more frequent & intense gales.

Turbinator

Typical alarmist nonsense - so you reckon storms and erosion never occured in the past??:rolleyes:

Breeal

wrong -
it was a geezer called Bereel who commented -

"Greenland ice melt was supposed to drown us all by now"

now, that is Alarmist.
if the geezer had bothered to check the facts, he would know that sea level has been rising at c. 3 mm per year over recent decades.
this rise combined with predicted increased frequency & intensity of storms causes problems, but is not catastrophic at this stage.
it's likely to be some time yet, before sea level rise will be catastrophic for most of us.

sorry to say that although ol Breeal is a frequent contributor to AGW threads, he appears to be ignorant of the basic facts relating to Climate Change,
& as a result he exposes himself as an Ignoramus, an Alarmist & a Denier
Typical and predictable nonsense from the Alarmist group think brigade, you talk about basic facts but as usual you present none.

Me, on the other hand will always back up what I say with facts, it's a very effective tactic against low IQ religious fanatics like Mangaire who can only rely on name calling and ad hoc weather events.

Here's what NOAA say about sea level rise - the absolute global sea level rise is believed to be 1.7-1.8 millimeters/year

Here is a study from Nature showing that 76% for beaches are stable of growing.

Here is the cyclone frequency, not increasing

Here is the hurricane frequency, not increasing

Here is the Global Tropical Cyclone Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE), showing intensity, not increasing

You've been peddling this fear mongering nonsense for years, you should know better than to try and trade facts with a Climate realist, you just end up being schooled in reality.

It's time for to respond with some 'ol geezers', 'Ahems', ad hoc weather events and some good old childish name calling, you won't reply with any facts though, because you haven't got any!

mangaire2

Typical and predictable nonsense from the Alarmist group think brigade, you talk about basic facts but as usual you present none.

Me, on the other hand will always back up what I say with facts, it's a very effective tactic against low IQ religious fanatics like Mangaire who can only rely on name calling and ad hoc weather events.

You've been peddling this fear mongering nonsense for years, you should know better than to try and trade facts with a Climate realist, you just end up being schooled in reality.

It's time for to respond with some 'ol geezers', 'Ahems', ad hoc weather events and some good old childish name calling, you won't reply with any facts though, because you haven't got any!
you say you want "facts" from me Breeal - ok.
& you say of yourself - "Me, on the other hand will always back up what I say with facts"

anyway, a poster named Breeal, commented here the other day that -

"Wasn't Greenland ice melt supposed to drown us all by now?"
nobody, but an amadán or a total ignoramus believed what you posted.
anyway, go ahead - back that up with your "facts" -

another AGW Denier, Turbinator' posted here a year or two ago that -

we would have an ICE Age soon.

& when challenged to back up his case with "facts", the ol geezer took a Vow of Silence.

Breeal & Turbinator are Alarmist AGW Deniers,
& that's a fact.

you say to me - "You've been peddling this fear mongering nonsense for years"

perhaps, you might provide us with examples of this "fear mongering nonsense " ?

Breeal

you say you want "facts" from me Breeal - ok.
& you say of yourself - "Me, on the other hand will always back up what I say with facts"

anyway, a poster named Breeal, commented here the other day that -

nobody, but an amadán or a total ignoramus believed what you posted.
anyway, go ahead - back that up with your "facts" -

another AGW Denier, Turbinator' posted here a year or two ago that -

we would have an ICE Age soon.

& when challenged to back up his case with "facts", the ol geezer took a Vow of Silence.

Breeal & Turbinator are Alarmist AGW Deniers,
& that's a fact.

you say to me - "You've been peddling this fear mongering nonsense for years"

perhaps, you might provide us with examples of this "fear mongering nonsense " ?
An incoherent post from a low IQ Alarmist demonstrating a poor understanding of basic English.

See my previous post for an example of me posting facts.

See every one of your posts for examples of fear mongering nonsense.

I notice you came up short with the facts again, pathetic.

mangaire2

An incoherent post from a low IQ Alarmist demonstrating a poor understanding of basic English.

See my previous post for an example of me posting facts.

See every one of your posts for examples of fear mongering nonsense.

I notice you came up short with the facts again, pathetic.
sorry Breeal, but you can't crawl away that easily.

I asked you to back up your comment -
& you failed, as I knew you would.

I also asked you to provide us with some examples of my ……… ahem …….. "fear mongering nonsense"
& yes - you failed, yet again.

owedtojoy

I also asked you to provide us with some examples of my ……… ahem …….. "fear mongering nonsense"
Climate science deniers stopped using science a long time ago, now they just pretend to be jokey and ironic.

Holocaust Deniers have gone the same way ... it is all about "meme creation", nothing to do with the facts or anything like that.

Breeal

Another example of your incoherent nonsense was not required, yet you provided it anyway. Playing the stupid card won't help you, we already know how stupid (low IQ) you are.

Oh look, another Alarmist post from mangaire2 bereft of facts, shocker.

owedtojoy

The rising temperature a few miles up ....

UAH_LT_1979_thru_March_2019_v6.jpg