• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Climate Change Debate Thread (Second Thread)

mangaire2

Another example of your incoherent nonsense was not required, yet you provided it anyway. Playing the stupid card won't help you, we already know how stupid (low IQ) you are.

Oh look, another Alarmist post from mangaire2 bereft of facts, shocker.
"Wasn't Greenland ice melt supposed to drown us all by now ?

NO, it wasn't, & it hasn't - we're still here.
that was just Fake News that you probably read in one of those looney Yankie fundamentalist web sites that you frequent

& ok Breeal - you have wriggled enough - you can crawl away now.

mangaire2

Climate science deniers stopped using science a long time ago, now they just pretend to be jokey and ironic.

Holocaust Deniers have gone the same way ... it is all about "meme creation", nothing to do with the facts or anything like that.
I sometimes wonder if poor Breeal is in fact Danny Healy Rae,
come to think of it, there are a couple of more possible Dannys here too.

Turbinator

that was just Fake News that you probably read in one of those looney Yankie fundamentalist web sites that you frequent

Its always funny and the defination of irony when alarmists like Mang accuse others of being hysterical:ROFLMAO:

wombat

Just read that the ESB are planning 4 gas plants for the Dublin area over the coming years, primarily to serve data centres. Given that we are going to be paying fines because of our carbon emissions, is it a good strategy to encourage the location of data centres in Ireland?

owedtojoy

N_iqr_timeseries.png
Arctic Ice extent at a record low for this time of year, the earliest it has dipped below 14 million km^2.

Breeal

Boom! Always remember mangaire2, the facts got the better of you, your repeated failure to present facts left you relying on playing the stupid card.

The next time you get the balls to step out of your religious echo chamber, I'll be here to school you with some basic facts.......again:)

owedtojoy

Key Indicators of Arctic Climate Change 1971 to 2017

The facts speak for themselves.

owedtojoy

Researchers Warn Arctic Has Entered 'Unprecedented State' That Threatens Global Climate Stability

"The Arctic system is trending away from its 20th century state and into an unprecedented state, with implications not only within but beyond the Arctic," said Jason Box of the GUES, lead author of the study.

"Because the Arctic atmosphere is warming faster than the rest of the world, weather patterns across Europe, North America, and Asia are becoming more persistent, leading to extreme weather conditions.

Another example is the disruption of the ocean circulation that can further destabilize climate: for example, cooling across northwestern Europe and strengthening of storms."

mangaire2

Your basing all this on a "record" that goes back barely 40 years?? - Give me a break!!
you're correct for once Turbs - 40 years is a relatively short interval in the contest of climate & Climate Change.
what is extremely disturbing, though - not to you of course - is the rate at which our planet has been warming over the past admittedly 'short' interval of 40 years.

the experts tell us, Turbs, that our planet warmed by five or six C at the end of the last Ice Age, & that was over a millennium or two -
a 5C rise in global temperature over 1,000 years is an average rise of 1C per 200 years, or 0.1C per 20 years.

the experts also tell us that the global temperature has been rising at c. 0.1C per year ( not per 20 years), over recent decades, & they tell us that it is expected to continue rising over the coming decades,
& the experts also tell us that the reason for the global temperature rise is the increased concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

the experts also tell us, Turbs that the five or six C rise in temperature at the end of the last Ice Age, resulted in a global sea level rise of c. 120 meters.

maybe Turbs, you like Trump, don't take any notice at what 'experts' say ?
or is it that you believe what the experts tell us about what happened tens or hundreds of thousands of years ago,
but not what they tell us about more recent times ?

mangaire2

Boom! Always remember mangaire2, the facts got the better of you, your repeated failure to present facts left you relying on playing the stupid card.

The next time you get the balls to step out of your religious echo chamber, I'll be here to school you with some basic facts.......again:)
there's some hope for you Breeal.
you posted a link to NOAA earlier - an excellent site if you want to inform yourself about Global Warming.
how you imagined that NOAA would support your belief that 'Greenland ice melt was supposed to drown us all by now' - we'll never know.

anyway Breeal, you spend more time on reputable sites like NOAA, & keep away from those whacky Yankie Denier sites, & you'll be ok.

Turbinator

you're correct for once Turbs - 40 years is a relatively short interval in the contest of climate & Climate Change.
what is extremely disturbing, though - not to you of course - is the rate at which our planet has been warming over the past admittedly 'short' interval of 40 years.

the experts tell us, Turbs, that our planet warmed by five or six C at the end of the last Ice Age, & that was over a millennium or two -
a 5C rise in global temperature over 1,000 years is an average rise of 1C per 200 years, or 0.1C per 20 years.

the experts also tell us that the global temperature has been rising at c. 0.1C per year ( not per 20 years), over recent decades, & they tell us that it is expected to continue rising over the coming decades,
& the experts also tell us that the reason for the global temperature rise is the increased concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

the experts also tell us, Turbs that the five or six C rise in temperature at the end of the last Ice Age, resulted in a global sea level rise of c. 120 meters.

maybe Turbs, you like Trump, don't take any notice at what 'experts' say ?
or is it that you believe what the experts tell us about what happened tens or hundreds of thousands of years ago,
but not what they tell us about more recent times ?
Experts-- LOL, one of your fellow alarmists on here claimed to be an "expert". My idea of an "expert" would by Prof Ray Bates who has no time for this hysteria

owedtojoy

there's some hope for you Breeal.
you posted a link to NOAA earlier - an excellent site if you want to inform yourself about Global Warming.
how you imagined that NOAA would support your belief that 'Greenland ice melt was supposed to drown us all by now' - we'll never know.

anyway Breeal, you spend more time on reputable sites like NOAA, & keep away from those whacky Yankie Denier sites, & you'll be ok.
Two-thirds of glacier ice in the Alps 'will melt by 2100'

mangaire2

Experts-- LOL, one of your fellow alarmists on here claimed to be an "expert". My idea of an "expert" would by Prof Ray Bates who has no time for this hysteria
pity Turbs, that Prof Ray Bates isn't a P.ie poster, because if he was with us, I would request him to read my comment, & point out any errors in it,
but we are lucky that we have an "expert" - yes that's you Turbs, Prof Bates' disciple, with us,
& you have read my comment & have found no errors.
thank you Turbs - that makes me happy.

owedtojoy

pity Turbs, that Prof Ray Bates isn't a P.ie poster, because if he was with us, I would request him to read my comment, & point out any errors in it,
but we are lucky that we have an "expert" - yes that's you Turbs, Prof Bates' disciple, with us,
& you have read my comment & have found no errors.
thank you Turbs - that makes me happy.
Some heavy climate scientists have looked at Bates and found him wanting.

Bending low with Bated breath

His last publication was by the Global Warming Policy Foundation, a well-known British "think tank" of climate deniers, aged Thatcherites like Nigel Lawson and right-wing Brexiteers like Owen Patterson. You can know him by the company he keeps.

Turbinator

Some heavy climate scientists have looked at Bates and found him wanting.

Bending low with Bated breath

His last publication was by the Global Warming Policy Foundation, a well-known British "think tank" of climate deniers, aged Thatcherites like Nigel Lawson and right-wing Brexiteers like Owen Patterson. You can know him by the company he keeps.
Would these be the same "experts" that were predicting back in the late 90's that we would have a Med Summer, extinction of snow, coastal flooding of major cities etc by now etc.??

mangaire2

Just read that the ESB are planning 4 gas plants for the Dublin area over the coming years, primarily to serve data centres. Given that we are going to be paying fines because of our carbon emissions, is it a good strategy to encourage the location of data centres in Ireland?
I heard about the new gas powered generating stations, but not about the Data Centres.
there was reference to plans for a new network of chargers for electric vehicles.
there will of course be a requirement for considerable additional electrical power for the EVs that hopefully will be coming in line over the coming years.
while gas is better than coal/oil, increased usage of renewables will be necessary to gain the full advantage of electric vehicles.

regarding Data Centres - I don't know much about them,
but they ae an essential component of IT systems,
& were it not for IT, the inhabitants of this planet would be emitting significantly more CO2 than we are currently doing, in order to maintain our current standards of living.

BTW I saw a link in another thread to a Data entre in Denmark that is reputably powered 100% by renewables.

SPN

regarding Data Centres - I don't know much about them, but they ae an essential component of IT systems,
& were it not for IT, the inhabitants of this planet would be emitting significantly more CO2 than we are currently doing, in order to maintain our current standards of living.

BTW I saw a link in another thread to a Data entre in Denmark that is reputably powered 100% by renewables.

Peter DeSantis, vice president of global infrastructure and customer support at Amazon Web Services, said: “We expect more projects in 2019 as we continue towards our goal of powering all AWS global infrastructure with renewable energy.”

Amazon has committed to buying energy from a new wind project in Ireland, a 91.2MW wind farm in Donegal. The Donegal site is expected to deliver the clean energy no later than the end of 2021.

Turbinator

Peter DeSantis, vice president of global infrastructure and customer support at Amazon Web Services, said: “We expect more projects in 2019 as we continue towards our goal of powering all AWS global infrastructure with renewable energy.”

Amazon has committed to buying energy from a new wind project in Ireland, a 91.2MW wind farm in Donegal. The Donegal site is expected to deliver the clean energy no later than the end of 2021.

Classic corporate Greenwash - only alarmist fools believe you can run Data centres off windmills:rolleyes:

The ugly truth behind that particular windfarm

Donegal group 'baffled' by Amazon connection to local wind farm

Last edited:

SPN