• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Climate Change Debate Thread (Second Thread)

Turbinator

Alarmist fools, Engineers, Scientists, and anybody with a clue.

Meanwhile you associate yourself with a bunch of luddites.

Sad.

Its sad that you think wind can power a date centre that needs a reliable 24/7 energy supply - even basic meteorlogy is beyond you:rolleyes:

mangaire2

Its sad that you think wind can power a date centre that needs a reliable 24/7 energy supply - even basic meteorlogy is beyond you:rolleyes:
what's "sad" Turbs, is that you appear to think that it's only AGW Deniers like you,
who understand that the wind doesn't blow all the time.

SPN

Its sad that you think wind can power a date centre that needs a reliable 24/7 energy supply - even basic meteorlogy (sic) is beyond you:rolleyes:
It's sadder that you think you know what I think, whenever I studied this stuff in college and have a technical understanding of the detail and you can't even get your flat earther talking points straight.

wombat

Amazon has committed to buying energy from a new wind project in Ireland, a 91.2MW wind farm in Donegal. The Donegal site is expected to deliver the clean energy no later than the end of 2021.
My question about data centres is whether they are of economic value to the state. They need standby power and unless they intend having battery storage, that power will be provided elsewhere in the grid by gas turbines which means our carbon charges will increase. Given that they provide few jobs and will require Eirgrid (us) to provide infrastructure, are they worth having? may have missed something but I doubt Amazon have agreed to pay to get their power from Donegal to their (Dublin?) data centres.

SPN

My question about data centres is whether they are of economic value to the state.
That's a very good question.

The Mandarins must think so given the fact that they are encouraging them.

They need standby power and unless they intend having battery storage, that power will be provided elsewhere in the grid by gas turbines which means our carbon charges will increase.
Battery storage technologies need high value applications like these to help start the market and get the volumes up/price down.

The electricity market is dynamic enough that the gas turbines tend not to get used as much as we expected a few years ago.

"OUR" carbon charges won't increase much, or at all because of these plants.

Given that they provide few jobs and will require Eirgrid (us) to provide infrastructure, are they worth having?
The infrastructure will be used, one way or another.

All those tens of thousands of new EVs that are coming our way will require infrastructure too.

The Amazons will contribute to this cost.

may have missed something but I doubt Amazon have agreed to pay to get their power from Donegal to their (Dublin?) data centres.
The Donegal power will be used in Derry. The Amazon power will come from Huntstown. That's how the electricity market works.

wombat

That's a very good question.

The Mandarins must think so given the fact that they are encouraging them.
Could they be wrong? My understanding is that because of our temperate climate, Ireland is a good location for data centres and there are some jobs created but I'm sceptical of the overall benefit.

wombat

"OUR" carbon charges won't increase much, or at all because of these plants.
If that's the case, why worry about open cycle gas turbines increasing carbon emissions?

SPN

Could they be wrong?
These are the same dopey fcvks who were supposed to be overseeing the childrens hospital, so they could very easily be wrong.

Turbinator

It's sadder that you think you know what I think, whenever I studied this stuff in college and have a technical understanding of the detail and you can't even get your flat earther talking points straight.
So its clowns like you pushing this nonsense and driving up everyones energy bills.

SPN

So its clowns like you pushing this nonsense and driving up everyones energy bills.
I'm "pushing" scientific fact, and easily applied technical solutions that mean no increase in energy bills.

You are "pushing" the illogical talking points of the billionaires who profit from the current paradigm and who want to put off the change that they know must happen, for as long as possible.

You are what is known as a useful idiot

mangaire2

My question about data centres is whether they are of economic value to the state. They need standby power and unless they intend having battery storage, that power will be provided elsewhere in the grid by gas turbines which means our carbon charges will increase. Given that they provide few jobs and will require Eirgrid (us) to provide infrastructure, are they worth having? may have missed something but I doubt Amazon have agreed to pay to get their power from Donegal to their (Dublin?) data centres.
a I commented earlier, Data Centres & IT in general are essential to modern society,
& if it were not for them, we would be emitting considerably more CO2 than we do presently.

as to their "economic value to the state" -
obviously if what we pay in CO2 charges exceeds their economic contribution to the State, they are negative for the economy.
but so is any other activity or industry.
nothing special about Data Centres in that regard.

silverharp

4th generation power seems to be bubbling up , eats nuclear waste as fuel and zero meltdown risk, roll on the nuclear electric economy

wombat

a I commented earlier, Data Centres & IT in general are essential to modern society,
& if it were not for them, we would be emitting considerably more CO2 than we do presently.

obviously if what we pay in CO2 charges exceeds their economic contribution to the State, they are negative for the economy.
Quite an interesting article in today's Examiner by Terry Prone - she's not a fan of Amazon, so I wonder are data centres quite as essential as you think. My point is that they provide few jobs so I don't see why the state should offer incentives to site them here.

Turbinator

Clearly you know as much about data centres as you do about climate matters ie. FA

Turbinator

I'm "pushing" scientific fact, and easily applied technical solutions that mean no increase in energy bills.

You are "pushing" the illogical talking points of the billionaires who profit from the current paradigm and who want to put off the change that they know must happen, for as long as possible.

You are what is known as a useful idiot

Tech told pay for wind farms

Who's the idiot now??

Breeal

Four Climate Scientists Destroy Climate Change Alarmism

owedtojoy

It is long past time that one of the greatest science-popularizers of them all took on the defining issue of the 21st century:

David Attenborough finally talks climate change in prime time BBC slot

Schoolgirl activist Greta Thunberg joins David Attenborough for powerful new BBC1 climate change documentary

Attenborough will be joined by other scientists and activists, but will also recount his personal observations of climate change.

ONe thing is sure: whatever about the general public, no climate change denier will either recant or even pretend to be impressed. No, they will double down on the crazy, the misguided and the ignorance. Expect fake expertise, cherry-picked data, logical fallacies, and conspiracy theories. Just be warned...

owedtojoy