• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The Climate Change Debate Thread (Second Thread)

forest

I do not like where this going at all. We will see increased taxes on stuff and what I am most concerned about is increased airfare or decrease in flights. It will start slow but will come in. I havent gone on a protest since 2006 but could very easily see myself on one over this

silverharp

So you are saying that because Sweden has problems with its energy transition, therefore global warming is not happening?

No energy transition will be pain-free, and there will be glitches, but the cost of the transition will be less than what it would be if the transition was never attempted.
you high?

wombat

Ranting about politicians and scientists is a beloved climate change denier diversion.
That may be so but carry on like we had in the Dail where 6 TDs declared a climate emergency or where they want to ban new offshore exploration licences when 50 years of exploration have been spectacularly unsuccessful, is no way to convince people that we have to change our habits.

wombat

the whole point of joining a political party is that one does not have "to think for oneself,do for oneself, organise for oneself, plan for oneself"
As someone who joined and left a political party, you may speak for yourself but most members I knew had a general agreement in the party's policies and believed that collectively we can achieve more than individually.

Breeal

I do not like where this going at all. We will see increased taxes on stuff and what I am most concerned about is increased airfare or decrease in flights. It will start slow but will come in. I havent gone on a protest since 2006 but could very easily see myself on one over this
Fear mongering is an effective tax raising tactic, you're right to be concerned about where this is going, we are in very real danger of allowing the lunatics take over the assylum.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The enormity of the loss of the National Pension Reserve Fund and its 28 billion in assets, at the time the world's 17th largest sovereign wealth fund, to the chasm under Anglo Irish and other Irish banks between 2007 and 2011, was really brought home to me when I noticed from some research I was doing that it was possible to buy a nuclear power station from EDF for about 3.5 billion, it occurred to me that we had just blown national energy independence for good.

Can you imagine the halo effect on the economy from having national energy independence at forecastable and steady rates.

It is an issue of some interest to me as my first political activity as a teenager was at demonstrations against a proposed nuclear facility at Carnsore Point.

I've had a conversion in favour of nuclear power as the only viable alternative to fossil fuels.

Long term I suspect there will be some leaps in technology around geo-engineering which may help to offset a looming crisis- we have a tendency for survival.

Steve Case

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
the climate is one issue, ratio of humans feeding off this limited environment is another, all of which is inter-related. There are other existential risks.

Of all the strategies designed to cope with major existential risk of whatever kind, the strategy that says the existence of the risk itself should be denied has not historically been a good one for humanity.

forest

Its beginning

While 7€ may not seem like much but if the flight is only 24.99 with ryanair thats about a 30% increase.

And its well for Holland or Germany with their geo geographical position and high speed trains we in Ireland have really feck all options if we wish to travel anywhere but the UK

owedtojoy

As someone who joined and left a political party, you may speak for yourself but most members I knew had a general agreement in the party's policies and believed that collectively we can achieve more than individually.
Politicians are the soft targets of the stupid.

owedtojoy

Its beginning

While 7€ may not seem like much but if the flight is only 24.99 with ryanair thats about a 30% increase.

And its well for Holland or Germany with their geo geographical position and high speed trains we in Ireland have really feck all options if we wish to travel anywhere but the UK
Stop whining.

You could lose 7 euros in a duty free shop, or on a night out, and not think twice about it.

Breeal

Stop whining.

You could lose 7 euros in a duty free shop, or on a night out, and not think twice about it.
The difference is you get something for your 7 euro in the Duty free shop, when you spend money on a night out you get a night out for your money. Taxing air travel over climate change is just pandering to some BS trendy posh religion, not with my money thank you very much.

mangaire2

The climate nutjobs are as bad as any fanatical cult throughout history.
you got it arseways as usual, Breeal.
it's AGW Deniers like yourself who are the "nutjobs" & part of a "fanatical cult".
the majority on this side of the Atlantic accept the scientific evidence, although some have a vested interest in not admitting to it.

the real "nutjobs" are to be found on the other side of the Atlantic.
a significant proportion of the Yanks think that the planet is six or eight thousand years old, or something like that,
& most of these geezers are AGW Deniers like yourself Breeal,
& they will tell you too that the climate of the planet has been changing for millions of years !!!!!!!

owedtojoy

it's AGW Deniers like yourself who are the "nutjobs" & part of a "fanatical cult".
the majority on this side of the Atlantic accept the scientific evidence, although some have a vested interest in not admitting to it.

a significant proportion of the Yanks think that the planet is six or eight thousand years old, or something like that,
& they will tell you too that the climate of the planet has been changing for millions of years !!!!!!!
The evidence is that a majority of Americans accept the evidence for climate change also.

But there are also American majorities for gun control and abortion rights that dissipate at election time, because other issues take precedence..

It is one thing to have a majority, it another to turn that majority into an election-winning coalition. Given the money poured into propaganda against gun control and against limiting carbon emissions, that is a massive task. But it has to be done.

Breeal

Another BS data free post from mangaire2, what a surprise. You stick to your evidence free religious cult which turns out to be nothing but a computer model. I'll stick to using real world data to form my opinions.

Popular Threads

Most Replies